How do you think your teams all time best offense matches up with their all time defense?

CP3MVP

This would be interesting - 2012 Texans O (Matt Schaub, Arian Foster, Andre Johnson, Duane Brown, Chris Myers, Eric Winston) vs 2014 Texans D (Superman JJ Watt, Jonathan Joseph, Kareem Jackson).

I don't think Schaub would survive the Watt onslaught, and Brown/Winston wouldn't be able to keep up with Watt. 'Dre would demolish the Texans secondary, but Foster would be bottled up.

So, defense wins on the back of Watt.

15 hours ago, fluhartz said:

this is the first thing that everyone that saw this topic thought of

not that juicy IMO .. again the defense would tear them apart....it would be closer than the Bears one though

Not 100% sure about that. As good as they defense was they never had to face an extremely fast option offense with an athlete like Lamar. I think that offense could catch them off guard with their speed. Fun to think about.

16 hours ago, LinderFournette said:

id actually say based on the league rankings the jags best offense was 97.  ground and pound with Means and Stewart

Both teams were the #2 scoring offenses in their respective years, so I'm guessing you're referring to the fact that 1997 was 3rd in yards and 1999 was 6th in yards? It's not relevant. There were 7 different blowout games in 1999 that the team pulled starters with multiple drives left on offense and easily could have added more yards if the game was closer. Not once for the 1997 did they pull starters before the last drive of the game.

QB: Randall Cunningham
RB: LeSean McCoy, Brian Westbrook, Wilbert Montgomery
WR: Terrell Owens, Harold Carmichael, DeSean Jackson, Mike Quick
TE: Zach Ertz, Pete Retzlaff
LT: Jason Peters
LG: Todd Herremans
C Jason Kelce
RG: Brandon Brooks
RT: Jon Runyan

LE: Reggie White, Jevon Kearse
DT: Fletcher Cox, Corey Simon
DT: Jerome Brown, Hollis Thomas
RE: Trent Cole, Clyde Simmons
OLB: Seth Joyner, Nigel Bradham
MLB: Jeremiah Trotter, Byron Evans
OLB: William Thomas, Mychal Kendricks
CB: Eric Allen, Asante Samuel, 
FS: Brian Dawkins, Wes Hopkins
SS: Andre Waters, Michael Lewis
CB: Herm Edwards, Troy Vincent
Nickel CB: Patrick Robinson, Joselio Hanson

I think the offense wins out. Peters should be able to get the better of Trent Cole, and Jon Runyan can stave off Reggie White just long enough for Randall to use his great mobility to extend the play more often than not. I don't think any of those corners as good as they are, are stopping T.O.. Ertz can probably find openings in the zone, but Dawk and Waters will probably make it harder for him. The LBers aren't much to worry about in pass coverage. RBs LeSean McCoy and Westbrook are both headaches to deal with for that defense, Westbrook being a fantastic dual threat, and LeSean McCoy having the arguably the best jump cut since Barry Sanders.

56 minutes ago, Danger said:

QB: Randall Cunningham
RB: LeSean McCoy, Brian Westbrook, Wilbert Montgomery
WR: Terrell Owens, Harold Carmichael, DeSean Jackson, Mike Quick
TE: Zach Ertz, Pete Retzlaff
LT: Jason Peters
LG: Todd Herremans
C Jason Kelce
RG: Brandon Brooks
RT: Jon Runyan

LE: Reggie White, Jevon Kearse
DT: Fletcher Cox, Corey Simon
DT: Jerome Brown, Hollis Thomas
RE: Trent Cole, Clyde Simmons
OLB: Seth Joyner, Nigel Bradham
MLB: Jeremiah Trotter, Byron Evans
OLB: William Thomas, Mychal Kendricks
CB: Eric Allen, Asante Samuel, 
FS: Brian Dawkins, Wes Hopkins
SS: Andre Waters, Michael Lewis
CB: Herm Edwards, Troy Vincent
Nickel CB: Patrick Robinson, Joselio Hanson

I think the offense wins out. Peters should be able to get the better of Trent Cole, and Jon Runyan can stave off Reggie White just long enough for Randall to use his great mobility to extend the play more often than not. I don't think any of those corners as good as they are, are stopping T.O.. Ertz can probably find openings in the zone, but Dawk and Waters will probably make it harder for him. The LBers aren't much to worry about in pass coverage. RBs LeSean McCoy and Westbrook are both headaches to deal with for that defense, Westbrook being a fantastic dual threat, and LeSean McCoy having the arguably the best jump cut since Barry Sanders.

Single season offense vs single season defense. 

16 minutes ago, notthatbluestuff said:

Single season offense vs single season defense. 

Well then I guess that technically means the Titans 2020 offense vs....maybe 2008?  One of the early 2000s squads?

Either way, Titans had fantastic run defenses at those times, and at least a couple very good DBs in each instance.  Be hard to just rely on Derrick Henry in that situation.  Just matchup issues.

I assume the matchup would the 2005 Seahawks Offense vs 2013 Defense

Walter, Grey, Tobeck, Hutchinson more than likely win their battles with Seattle's defensive line. 2013 performance basically comes down to Michael Bennet vs Sean Locklear. MBIII probably wins that match up more often than not, but probably not enough to consistently pressure Hasselbeck.

That being said, I highly doubt Darrell Jackson Joe Juravicious Bobby Engram Jeremy Stevens do anything against Seattle's secondary. BamBam + Wagner probably keep Shaun Alexander in check.  2005 offense spends much of the game behind the sticks, and struggles to consistently move down the field.

5 minutes ago, animaltested said:

I assume the matchup would the 2005 Seahawks Offense vs 2013 Defense

Walter, Grey, Tobeck, Hutchinson more than likely win their battles with Seattle's defensive line. 2013 performance basically comes down to Michael Bennet vs Sean Locklear. MBIII probably wins that match up more often than not, but probably not enough to consistently pressure Hasselbeck.

That being said, I highly doubt Darrell Jackson Joe Juravicious Bobby Engram Jeremy Stevens do anything against Seattle's secondary. BamBam + Wagner probably keep Shaun Alexander in check.  2005 offense spends much of the game behind the sticks, and struggles to consistently move down the field.

I only remember a little about those teams under Holmgren, but I seem to remember they would always win all the games you expected them to win and then crumple against superior competition. Hasselbeck and crew would crumple against the Legion of Boom

Edited by Fidgit

On 1/30/2021 at 6:24 PM, CP3MVP said:

Let’s say you matched up on a neutral field under 2020 rules, how would your favorite teams all time best single season offense do against the best defense for a season. How much does it change if we play by the rules of the defense in that year?

So as a patriots fan for example it would be 2007 Offense against 2003 or 2019 Pats defense. I prefer 2019 because of the secondary even though 2003 has a much better front 7 but that’s me. Gilmore on Moss is interesting. I think the big advantage in that game is the vastly superior Pats offensive line going against the 2019 Pats Front 7. The Superbowl was a disaster but people forget how dominating that offensive line was.

Are we going by 2003 rules or 2007 rules? Because I feel like if it's the former, the defense would get the upper hand because that team had an overwhelming amount of talent in the front-7 and could do just enough to jam Moss and Welker to get to Brady. 

1991 Eagles Defense (No. 1 vs. both pass and run) vs. 2017 Eagles Offense. Reggie White, Jerome Brown, Clyde Simmons, Seth Joyner, Wes Hopkins, Andre Waters and Eric Allen would be tough to contend with. It would be fun to see the 2017 O-line battle that 91 D-line. Im giving it to the 1991 defense. 

6 hours ago, pwny said:

Both teams were the #2 scoring offenses in their respective years, so I'm guessing you're referring to the fact that 1997 was 3rd in yards and 1999 was 6th in yards? It's not relevant. There were 7 different blowout games in 1999 that the team pulled starters with multiple drives left on offense and easily could have added more yards if the game was closer. Not once for the 1997 did they pull starters before the last drive of the game.

i ran some some sims of the 97 and 99 vs the 2017 jags and both 90's teams were beaten  fairly handidly by atleast 21 points if the 2017 team was at home. 

if 2017 is on the road the games the majority of the sims have been 1 score contests