Stafford traded to the Rams for Goff, multiple FRPs

TheRealMcCoy

1 minute ago, Forge said:

Qb winzzz are not a qb stat. If they are that important to you, should have given up that deal for alex Smith. 

You're all in. Yeah, that bill is going to come due, but right now, you're a damn good team, and a better one with Stafford

hell no that clown will get hurt week 2.. Unbelievable.. 

2 minutes ago, Broncofan said:

It depends where that second pick is though - if it’s 25 & 28+ that’s different than 25 & 20.   

The bigger point though was adding Goff required LAR to pay more - not that Stafford is worth even more than 2 late 1sts & a 3rd, and Goff brought the price down.  Goff raised the price for LAR.  

I think that's still a minor piece to the puzzle. Yea, I get it Goff's contract is a negative asset, but that's a cap space problem and cap space problems are never as important as draft picks. Maybe that moves the equation by a 2nd round pick of value.

The reason the Rams gave up so much to get Stafford is that they upgrade at the most critical piece with Donald and Ramsey in their prime. Super bowl windows are a few years at best, so Stafford's age is not a major deterrent here. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, JonStark said:

So we were screwed with a bad contract? Sounds familiar.

At what point so we start holding Snead and Mcvay accountable for their screw ups? Everyone was fine doing it with Goff. 

What had contract? Stafford's deal is great. 2 / 43

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Louis Friend said:

2 1sts, a 3rd and Goff. 

I didn't think Detroit would take Goff, but I'll take the 2 1sts. 

I know one of the Ram fans (Ramster?) is always talking about how McVay holds Goff back in some ways, but he's an experienced starter with some success at this point. I know as a GB fan which QB I'd rather face though. 

1 minute ago, LaFellSBXLIXMVP said:

People saying this is a bad deal, maybe it's you that overrate draft picks? Without a QB you're nothing in today's NFL and finding a franchise QB in the draft after the top12 picks is immensely hard nowadays. Same thing I'm saying throughout the Watson's thread where people are offering 2 1sts plus a young QB bust and thinking it'll get the deal done.

Think of it this way: Stafford is a high 1st round pick himself, so you gave up a 1st and a 3rd as compensation for Matt and for Detroit to take that horrible contract that'll be even worse in 2021 and Rams are in win now mode, they can't waste Donald's career.

I think this was win/win for both teams. Rams get a quality QB when they are in "win now" mode. Goff was holding them back. 

Lions get a young QB and a ton of picks as they rebuild. They have the cap to eat his contract now. If it does not work out they will move on but they clearly hoping a new team might give him some juice.

Either way both teams  in better positions now.

• Like 1