Stafford traded to the Rams for Goff, multiple FRPs

TheRealMcCoy

2 minutes ago, Broncofan said:

If it was 1 year I’d see your concern.  But 2 years, and the introduction of Akers, and the commitment to their run game - should have restored the LAR pass game to its 2018 success this year.   It didn’t - and it really fell on Goff’s shoulders.   When it isn’t play action - Goff really struggles.    It’s been eye opening.   Stafford consistently worked with an inferior cast since Megatron retired.  And yet his play hasn’t really regressed.  

I know Stafford. He doesn't do it for me. The supporting cast knock is greatly exaggerated. He's had plenty of gifted weapons and some good OLs. As for our running game, Akers was hurt for a good chunk of the year, it was hit and miss on the season as a whole (until late in the year), and the OL fell off pretty dramatically after Whitworth's injury. Again, the whole one year or two year distinction isn't particularly important. It's about age. Pocket passers hit their window in the 27 to 30 years old range. 

1 minute ago, Matts4313 said:

Dont worry, we are only ~8 months away from:

Rammy "Stand THE HeLl up RAMS! Stafford DaGawd!"

Need I remind you that, as current contracts stand, your team's starting QB is Cooper Rush?😉

Edited by The LBC

10 minutes ago, AkronsWitness said:

Top Sirloin- gets the job done in need of a steak. Stafford is NY Strip- a little high class but definitely not elite.

The Rams paid Wagyu Tomahawk prices to settle the differences between the two. Just not great value for what your getting. Sure it's better, but not $180 better

I dunno. In my opinion they have a shot at a Super Bowl with only one of those two quarterbacks, and it's the one they just traded for. They have a ready-made roster and system to drop a guy in and be successful. I have to assume McVay somewhat knows what he's doing and has identified Stafford as a guy who can excel in his system.

I don't think Stafford is great. Overall I think he's become massively overrated over the past year or two (like, legit Hall of Fame talk, which is beyond absurd), but I do think he's an upgrade over Goff, and they were doing pretty well even with subpar Goff. Stafford is one of the higher end -- perhaps the best of -- a fairly sizeable tier of "middle of the league" quarterbacks, and I think he has a "plus" upside to him because I think he has cajones.

He shouldn't be discussed as a top 5 guy at all, but every once in awhile, he presents a compelling argument for at least being mentioned in discussions to round out the bottom of the top 10.

Rams can win with him.

1 minute ago, El Ramster said:

You know me so well. Then why would you be shocked lol. Whose the crazy one? 

What part of that was shocked? I was trying to console you before you revert to full homer mode.

1 minute ago, The LBC said:

Need I remind you that, as current contracts stand, your team's starting QB is Cooper Rush?😉

I dont root for the Giants, whom I think Cooper still plays for unless he was cut.

Also the league year hasnt ended, so Dak is my dude.

So you are double wrong.

1 minute ago, DannyB said:

I dunno. In my opinion they have a shot at a Super Bowl with only one of those two quarterbacks, and it's the one they just traded for. They have a ready-made roster and system to drop a guy in and be successful. I have to assume McVay somewhat knows what he's doing and has identified Stafford as a guy who can excel in his system.

I don't think Stafford is great. Overall I think he's become massively overrated over the past year or two (like, legit Hall of Fame talk, which is beyond absurd), but I do think he's an upgrade over Goff, and they were doing pretty well even with subpar Goff. Stafford is one of the higher end -- perhaps the best of -- a fairly sizeable tier of "middle of the league" quarterbacks, and I think he has a "plus" upside to him because I think he has cajones.

He shouldn't be discussed as a top 5 guy at all, but every once in awhile, he presents a compelling argument for at least being mentioned in discussions to round out the bottom of the top 10.

Rams can win with him.

Yeah, but you and I are in that limited membership around here that recognize that there are a select few truly elite QB's in the league right now and then a whole lot of average that are circumstantially-dependent.  I can't say the same for a lot on this site.

6 minutes ago, jrry32 said:

I know Stafford. He doesn't do it for me. The supporting cast knock is greatly exaggerated. He's had plenty of gifted weapons and some good OLs. As for our running game, Akers was hurt for a good chunk of the year, it was hit and miss on the season as a whole (until late in the year), and the OL fell off pretty dramatically after Whitworth's injury. Again, the whole one year or two year distinction isn't particularly important. It's about age. Pocket passers hit their window in the 27 to 30 years old range. 

I dunno, I think you should trust McVay's system and Stafford's ability to succeed in it. I don't think Stafford is a guy who feels like he HAS to put up pretty stats at the expense of wins. I think he'll play within the system, lean on the run game, but he also has the ability to make a few big plays with his arm when he has to. I think he'll make slightly fewer mistakes than Goff, and a few more plays.

I wouldn't worry too much about his age unless you're hellbent on solidifying a decade+ starter. In this day and age a pocket passer like that is probably still at their peak until 35 or 36, then has another couple effective years. I dunno exactly where he falls as far as taking care of himself on a scale from Brady to Roethlisberger, but don't think it's anything that should be alarming.

I think this gives the Rams a pretty solid 3 year window, minimum, of legit SB contenders, while McVay identifies or positions the franchise for a longer term solution.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Matts4313 said:

What part of that was shocked? I was trying to console you before you revert to full homer mode.

I dont root for the Giants, whom I think Cooper still plays for unless he was cut.

Also the league year hasnt ended, so Dak is my dude.

So you are double wrong.

You're correct.  Your projected start is Ben DeNucci.  Dak is your dude with no games less to play unless he's either tagged again or Jerruh comes with the checkbook and a deal that at least has the faint aroma of the one Mahomes just got, so probably Watson's or Wilson's deals as a baseline.