Stafford traded to the Rams for Goff, multiple FRPs

TheRealMcCoy

8 hours ago, Broncofan said:

Yup.  A top 8-10 guy can get that team to the SB.   That’s where I see Stafford on a decent team.  He doesn’t have to be top 5.   He can’t be 15-20 range which is what Goff 2019-20 provided .   

The thing about Stafford is he's an 8-10 guy with slim offensive support (poor coaching and a moribund run game for the bulk of his career, he usually had a decent 1-2 at WR) for a dismal organisation. Goff is a lower teens guy with a legit offensive stud like McVay and generally a strong run game, be it Gurly in 17-18 or the rotating cast of this season, and a 5-deep group of targets, and great D to take all the pressure off. 

In this trade, everything is there for Stafford to step up and Goff to fall back.  

• Like 2

29 minutes ago, WheatieMan said:

No... Carson Wentz. Stafford is an old man. Expect a Phil Rivers type of season or 2016 Eli at best. I don’t think it’s realistic to expect the Rams to compete for a SB next year. If 49ers get a QB then hell no. GB (with Rogers) and Seattle all better teams. Saints with Winston may still be a threat but I wouldn’t put them past the Rams. I think Tom Brady finally has a dive next year win or lose, assuming he doesn’t retire into the sunset.

People think Carson wentz sucks though. Stafford is seen as a top 12 QB who has no more excuses. Best defense in football and an elite coach. 

4 minutes ago, Mr Bad Example said:

The thing about Stafford is he's an 8-10 guy with slim offensive support (poor coaching and a moribund run game for the bulk of his career, he usually had a decent 1-2 at WR) for a dismal organisation. Goff is a lower teens guy with a legit offensive stud like McVay and generally a strong run game, be it Gurly in 17-18 or the rotating cast of this season, and a 5-deep group of targets, and great D to take all the pressure off. 

In this trade, everything is there for Stafford to step up and Goff to fall back.  

This guy gets it.

Comparing Goff and Stafford's 2020 season stats is just... wild. The Rams had one of - if not the best - defenses in the league, while the Lions had the worst. Rams: running game. Lions: no running game. Rams: receivers. Lions: missing their #1 for the majority of the season.

Stafford had a worse supporting cast in literally every way.

EtEKZj3XcAEfp5v?format=jpg&name=large

This is an statistical look at Stafford vs. Goff.  They're both middle of the road quarterbacks.

HOWEVER, I do understand the argument that the QBs were in much different situations.  Goff was middle of the road in what appears to be QB heaven, while Stafford played for a team notorious for wasting careers.  It will be interesting to see how Stafford does in LA.  Don't have much hope for Goff in Detroit.  I suspect they'll try some old school run game approach with Dan Campbell anyway.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, RaidersAreOne said:

Stafford is a future HOFer? Geez I have never considered him a gold jacket guy myself.

While I don't think team wins are necessarily a QB stat, at some point a QB has to make a SB run or two to get HoF consideration. Give Stafford a ring or even a couple SB losses and suddenly his reputation gets shined up quite a bit, IMO. 

7 hours ago, jrry32 said:

Stafford isn't any of the QBs you named.

Ryan Fitzpatrick held up physically with a live arm up to age 37, probably had a couple of his better  years in 18-19. Stafford is better than Fitzpatrick. 

35 minutes ago, Sugashane said:

You know just thinking of what Goff has cost the Rams

To be able to draft - 2 firsts, 1 second, and 2 thirds and they received a 4th and 6th

To be rid of him - 2 firsts, 1 third

So in total he cost the Rams 4 firsts, 1 second, and 3 third round picks.

Can you imagine telling someone that you were investing that much in a guy to have Stafford replace him?

Yet if you told Rams fans in 2016 that we'd give all that up for Goff and then Stafford and have four straight winning seasons for the first time since the 80s...

For the cost of what we gave up to get Goff, you have to factor in the results. One super bowl appearance, two division titles and three playoff appearances - considering there wasn't really a better option at the time (not like Wentz would have been better and not a FA option), the trade to get Goff was an easily huge win for the Rams

10 minutes ago, CP3MVP said:

People think Carson wentz sucks though. Stafford is seen as a top 12 QB who has no more excuses. Best defense in football and an elite coach. 

Yup. This is now the year where Stafford has to show he can win something relevant. He's gotten by for a long time on the whole "the Lions suck and can't support him and the results aren't his fault, look at yards". If he can't win in LA, it's going to hurt his legacy. In Detroit he was an Archie Manning figure. Respected and sympathized for his situation. Goff brought this team to the playoffs multiple times and a SB. Stafford has to do something this year or he's going to be heavily critcized for the first time in his career.

13 minutes ago, Gmen said:

HOWEVER, I do understand the argument that the QBs were in much different situations.  Goff was middle of the road in what appears to be QB heaven, while Stafford played for a team notorious for wasting careers. 

Stafford in a Honda Civic outraced Goff in a Ferarri. 

I'm telling you guys this is going to be looked back upon like Brees to New Orleans is now looked back upon. He's going to light up the league with McVay, those weapons, and that elite defense. 

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Gmen said:

HOWEVER, I do understand the argument that the QBs were in much different situations.  Goff was middle of the road in what appears to be QB heaven, while Stafford played for a team notorious for wasting careers.  It will be interesting to see how Stafford does in LA.  Don't have much hope for Goff in Detroit.  I suspect they'll try some old school run game approach with Dan Campbell anyway.

Problem is Stafford is all washed up now. He's had so many injuries playing for that garbage franchise. I don't think he was worth what the Rams gave up.

50 minutes ago, Sugashane said:

You know just thinking of what Goff has cost the Rams

To be able to draft - 2 firsts, 1 second, and 2 thirds and they received a 4th and 6th

To be rid of him - 2 firsts, 1 third

So in total he cost the Rams 4 firsts, 1 second, and 3 third round picks.

Can you imagine telling someone that you were investing that much in a guy to have Stafford replace him?

It’s better to cut losses than go down with a sinking ship... jags held on to Bortles. The Mitch experience. The foles experience. The Eli once he was done. At some point you gotta cut the arm before the poison spreads. 

• Like 3