Stafford traded to the Rams for Goff, multiple FRPs

TheRealMcCoy

I feel like this is deja vu. Every time the Rams make moves people are quick to say it wont work.

They hired McVay and all I heard was young head coaches dont ever work. McVay is the youngest head coach in the NFL at 30. Then they go out and get Whitworth and Woods. All I heard was Whitworth was old and just looking for the last big payday. All I heard was Woods was vastly overpaid because he did little to nothing in Buffalo. The Rams proved all of that to be wrong. McVay has thrived and so did Whitworth and Woods.

'Ok the Rams traded for Watkins. All I heard was he isnt going to stay healthy. Wasted pick. He did stay healthy the entire season and made an impact. Not the type of impact most Rams fans wouldve liked but he did make an impact. Then he walks and the Rams trade for Cooks. The first thing people said was Cooks is going to replace Watkins and isnt going to do much. All Cooks did was have over 1,000yds receiving and help lead the Rams to the Superbowl because Kupp was hurt for the playoffs. Looks like the Rams proved people wrong again.

Then the Rams traded for Peters, Talib, and signed Suh. All I heard was all those big personality. That was the same offseason as Cooks so people oddly lump Cooks in with all of them in terms of character issues in which Cooks was never a character issue guy. But yeah people said those guys are going to ruin the locker room. All they did was help the Rams go (13-3), shutdown Zeke in the playoffs, shutdown Brees and the Saints in the playoffs, and for most of the game make the Pats offense look terrible. So again the Rams proved everyone wrong.

Oh and Rams trade for Ramsey all I heard was Rams overpaid for him. Well when you have the best cornerback in the league shutting down every top receiver and the defense is the best in the NFL thats not overpaying. If the Rams gave the Jags (3) 1st round picks it wouldve still been worth it. Ramsey is no issue at all in the locker room and his play overall has been outstanding. So again the Rams proved everyone wrong.

So now Im hearing the Rams overpaid for Stafford. MAYBE just MAYBE FINALLY people will get it right and this move wont work for the Rams. MAYBE this move will finally be the bad move but Im not going to bet against the Rams on this one because so far every big move they have made has worked out when it comes to trades and bringing in people. Even trading for Fowler Jr and then signing Floyd to replace Fowler Jr has worked. Im not doubting the Rams. But hey again who knows maybe this time they might have got it wrong lol. We shall see. 

• Like 3

18 minutes ago, Chiefer said:

Any truth to the rumors the Lions helped out the Rams with this one? Heard the WFT gave them a better offer

7 minutes ago, CWood21 said:

Nothing concrete.  Don't think Washington was offering multiple FRPs, but again nothing concrete.

It's behind a paywall (of course), but The Athletic is reporting that WFT offered it's 1st and 3rd round pick this year.   

At 1.19, by pure book value, the Rams' offer was better.   I'm not sure I agree given the whiff rate does change as you move further back Rd1.    I definitely wouldn't have turned down a SF 1.12 or DEN 1.9 offer, but neither was offered by all reports. 

Whether WFT's 1.19 and 3.19 (and no Goff coming back with his contract), turns out to be a better offer, I think at least we can track & see.

16 hours ago, dtwizzy2k8 said:

It's honestly a fair trade for both sides. Rams get rid of Goff contract which frees up money to spend in FA in the future. The draft is just one way to get new players, FA is the other.

If the Rams win at least 1 SB with Stafford then I don't think anybody will be complaining. It's a gamble on winning now, and it will pay off if we get a Lombardi trophy.

People can say what they want, but Rams haven't had a 1st rounder in years, we've been making mega trades every year, and have been successful winning playoff games and being a TD away from a SB win. 

People saying "how will they build their roster?" Again there is FA, and also 7 rounds in a draft, not just 1. So next year we will still have all our picks 2-7, drafting is about quality and hitting on picks more so than quantity. 

If they win a Super Bowl then the trade was worth it. Anything less and it was bad IMO.

3 minutes ago, stl4life07 said:

I feel like this is deja vu. Every time the Rams make moves people are quick to say it wont work.

They hired McVay and all I heard was young head coaches dont ever work. McVay is the youngest head coach in the NFL at 30. Then they go out and get Whitworth and Woods. All I heard was Whitworth was old and just looking for the last big payday. All I heard was Woods was vastly overpaid because he did little to nothing in Buffalo. The Rams proved all of that to be wrong. McVay has thrived and so did Whitworth and Woods.

'Ok the Rams traded for Watkins. All I heard was he isnt going to stay healthy. Wasted pick. He did stay healthy the entire season and made an impact. Not the type of impact most Rams fans wouldve liked but he did make an impact. Then he walks and the Rams trade for Cooks. The first thing people said was Cooks is going to replace Watkins and isnt going to do much. All Cooks did was have over 1,000yds receiving and help lead the Rams to the Superbowl because Kupp was hurt for the playoffs. Looks like the Rams proved people wrong again.

Then the Rams traded for Peters, Talib, and signed Suh. All I heard was all those big personality. That was the same offseason as Cooks so people oddly lump Cooks in with all of them in terms of character issues in which Cooks was never a character issue guy. But yeah people said those guys are going to ruin the locker room. All they did was help the Rams go (13-3), shutdown Zeke in the playoffs, shutdown Brees and the Saints in the playoffs, and for most of the game make the Pats offense look terrible. So again the Rams proved everyone wrong.

Oh and Rams trade for Ramsey all I heard was Rams overpaid for him. Well when you have the best cornerback in the league shutting down every top receiver and the defense is the best in the NFL thats not overpaying. If the Rams gave the Jags (3) 1st round picks it wouldve still been worth it. Ramsey is no issue at all in the locker room and his play overall has been outstanding. So again the Rams proved everyone wrong.

So now Im hearing the Rams overpaid for Stafford. MAYBE just MAYBE FINALLY people will get it right and this move wont work for the Rams. MAYBE this move will finally be the bad move but Im not going to bet against the Rams on this one because so far every big move they have made has worked out when it comes to trades and bringing in people. Even trading for Fowler Jr and then signing Floyd to replace Fowler Jr has worked. Im not doubting the Rams. But hey again who knows maybe this time they might have got it wrong lol. We shall see. 

Agreed. Good points made. 

If it really wasn't working, the Rams wouldn't have made the playoffs 3 out of the last 4 seasons, including a Super Bowl. 

If it really wasn't working, then other teams around the league wouldn't be hiring coaches attached to Sean McVay on a regular basis. 

Perhaps, just perhaps, Les Snead and Sean McVay have some idea of what they're doing?

Just a thought. 

• Like 3

29 minutes ago, Chiefer said:

Any truth to the rumors the Lions helped out the Rams with this one? Heard the WFT gave them a better offer

Reportedly, Lions picked 3 best deals and let Stafford decide where he wanted to go. He chose the Rams. Josina Anderson is reporting WFT offered a deal that would benefit the Lions more "this season", which most likely means their 1st this season, but not necessarily the best deal overall. 

7 minutes ago, TL-TwoWinsAway said:

Yeah, it's being reported that Holmes and Co. viewed Goff as an important piece in this deal. If that's really the case, they were able to get 2 future 1sts and a 3rd this year along with a QB that they viewed highly.

Actions speak louder than words here, most of us will believe that when we see Detroit commit to Goff as their long-term guy.   Seems far more likely they're going to pump up his value to try and trade him to a QB-desperate team (and the domino where SF doesn't trade away JimmyG without a QB upgrade, does make the market more seller friendly - although eating more cash, waiting for a team to lose their guy and have no alternatives <MIN-Bradford>, or let Goff play and rebuild some value by not struggling as hard as he did in 2019-20, are all ways for that to help facilitate a deal).

I mean, the team that's already in firm SB contention didn't want to keep Goff.  That speaks volumes.

Edited by Broncofan
  • Like 1

13 minutes ago, stl4life07 said:

Trust me, your team isnt special. This happens to every team in the NFL on 90% of moves.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Matts4313 said:

Trust me, your team isnt special. This happens to every team in the NFL on 90% of moves.

To be fair though, they keep doing it, hence it feels like they're being singled out lol.

I mean, at this stage, the NFL should be penciling in the Rams draft team to show up a day later than everyone else to Draft Weekend (whenever they do it in-person again, anyways).

Edited by Broncofan
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Matts4313 said:

I know Im just zoning on because I follow the Rams more closely than any other team. Like we all nitpick moves from every team. Over time it will tell if things work out well or not. 

17 hours ago, CKSteeler said:

Copying this from elsewhere, but last 4 healthy seasons from both guys:
Stafford averaged roughly 4100 yards, 25 TD, 10 INT and 95 QB rating
Goff averaged roughly 4300 yards, 25 TD, 12 INT and 94 QB rating

I would wager McVay was better than Lombardi, Cooter, and Bevell.

Just now, Broncofan said:

To be fair though, they keep doing it, hence it feels like they're being singled out lol.

More accurately, they are employing a strategy that is counter to a lot of dogma in terms of team building (particularly on a site devoted to the draft) so lots of people have a more visceral aversion to it. Personally their strategy makes a lot of sense to me, so I defend it (even if I don't agree with every move and am not Rams fan per se).