Stafford traded to the Rams for Goff, multiple FRPs

TheRealMcCoy

6 minutes ago, jrry32 said:

Yep. Still wrong. If we were to use a different stat like passer rating, you know what the answer is. For whatever reason, 27 to 30 years old is when pocket passers tend to hit their primes. Many successful ones had underwhelming age-26 seasons, including Matthew Stafford. I think the Rams shouldn't have made this deal at this time.

How is it wrong?

Secondly, in what possible way is passer rating the best measurement? Its literally the least "analytical" of all stats. Hell, its unchanged for like 50 years. 

Just for ish and giggles. Here is passer rating+ (again, passer rating is not great stat):

Stafford:

From then on its 110 +/- 10 every year

Goff:

By passer rating+ (again, comps to peers) - they are more similar. But just spitballing your other comps (Manning, Brady, Brees, Rivers) - NONE of them look anything like Goff. None. 

Edited by Matts4313

Just now, Matts4313 said:

How is it wrong?

Secondly, in what possible way is passer rating the best measurement? Its literally the least "analytical" of all stats. Hell, its unchanged for like 50 years. 

Peyton Manning's career trends from his age-23 season through his age-26 season are very similar to Goff's. But my point isn't that Goff has to be identical to anybody. My point is that pocket passers generally do not hit their primes until the 27 to 30 year old window. Prior to that point, there's volatility from year to year. And guys tend to be distinct in how that volatility manifests itself. For example, here are Big Ben's and Stafford's career before their age-27 seasons (using your metric):

Stafford

Ben

I could go show you the same thing with a number of other QBs. The point remains. Goff is entering the window next year. I'd have rather waited it out and looked to the draft if he isn't the answer.

2 minutes ago, jrry32 said:

Hence, why I hate this trade.

I don't think that's really why you hate it. You believe in Goff and what he could have evolved into.

Reality is, Stafford almost can't be worse than Goff was this year. I say almost leaving a small possibility, but I cant imagine it. The defense will regress, but it still feels like 10 wins is probably the floor next year barring Niner level injuries.

My point in bringing up the success of the past four years is tied into McVay and Snead consistently making the right trades, so if we look at this trade specifically through the lense of 2021, the Rams almost certainly got better. I know you've been having a tough time with this, but I think we will be better the next 2-3 years and then the first round picks (might) come back around the time to replace Stafford.

If we're able to make any FA moves or hold onto some of our defensive starters, we will be one of the best teams in the NFL next year IMO and you shouldn't let yourself miss out on that.

3 minutes ago, FrantikRam said:

I don't think that's really why you hate it. You believe in Goff and what he could have evolved into.

Reality is, Stafford almost can't be worse than Goff was this year. I say almost leaving a small possibility, but I cant imagine it. The defense will regress, but it still feels like 10 wins is probably the floor next year barring Niner level injuries.

My point in bringing up the success of the past four years is tied into McVay and Snead consistently making the right trades, so if we look at this trade specifically through the lense of 2021, the Rams almost certainly got better. I know you've been having a tough time with this, but I think we will be better the next 2-3 years and then the first round picks (might) come back around the time to replace Stafford.

If we're able to make any FA moves or hold onto some of our defensive starters, we will be one of the best teams in the NFL next year IMO and you shouldn't let yourself miss out on that.

Or you know, Stafford getting injured.

21 minutes ago, jrry32 said:

Do you think there's a comparison between rookie Van Jefferson and prime Marvin Jones? To answer your question, no. 

Interesting non-answer. Why? Why not answer? Why not just converse? Why are you so defensive?

Sure, "prime" Marvin Jones is a very good receiver. He's undoubtedly better than Van Jefferson. I'd say that Golden Tate and Robert Woods parallel (as far as impact). But run support is massive, and it's something that Goff had with Akers (and Stafford did not with Zenner).

Anyway, you mentioned how the Lions only scored six points during the 2016 playoff game against the Seahawks, and I was merely pointing out that Stafford's supporting cast in that game was pretty mediocre. I wasn't comparing it to the 2020 Rams or anything. Six points, with "pretty good" WRs, a below-average TE and a non-existent running game against a really good Seattle defense isn't all that crazy.

1 minute ago, TL-TwoWinsAway said:

Interesting non-answer. Why? Why not answer? Why not just converse? Why are you so defensive?

Sure, "prime" Marvin Jones is a very good receiver. He's undoubtedly better than Van Jefferson. I'd say that Golden Tate and Robert Woods parallel (as far as impact). But run support is massive, and it's something that Goff had with Akers (and Stafford did not with Zenner).

Anyway, you mentioned how the Lions only scored six points during the 2016 playoff game against the Seahawks, and I was merely pointing out that Stafford's supporting cast in that game was pretty mediocre. I wasn't comparing it to the 2020 Rams or anything. Six points, with "pretty good" WRs, a below-average TE and a non-existent running game against a really good Seattle defense isn't all that crazy.

I directly answered your question. And I asked a question of my own to demonstrate that when you compare supporting casts, they were at worst equals. My point is that Stafford doesn't have a long history of delivering in big games. So the claims that he would have made the difference in the LAR-GB playoff game this year are dubious at best.

11 minutes ago, WideRight said:

Goff could get injured too. He just did.

If Goff were to get injured, the Rams would have a high first round pick after the year if it tanked their season. But Goff has been more durable than Stafford has. Regardless, the important distinction is the first round pick. The Rams are going all in on Stafford. If he gets hurt and they tank, they lose in a major way.

Edited by jrry32

9 hours ago, Broncofan said:

When Patricia came to DET - they had 3 9-7 seasons in 3 of the 4 prior years. 

Patricia’s first act was to blow that roster up - and add “his guys”.

Broncofan, and @NYRaider30

Do you guys realize that Patricia not be coaching and will be special consultant/assistant coach on defense????

BOINK! Get woke, dudes.