Stafford traded to the Rams for Goff, multiple FRPs

TheRealMcCoy

17 hours ago, tyler735 said:

Those are all fair points. I think the trade has the potential to improve your team the next few years as I think Stafford is a better QB than Goff (all those lost 1st round draft picks over the years may come to bite you down the road, but for now the team looks to at least be a solid playoff contender), but my biggest question is what can be done to improve the OL to allow Stafford to flourish and play to his full potential? Is it likely going to be the, hope you hit on a OL in the 2nd or 3rd round approach? Is there any cap left to sign a some quality on the OL?

Where our OL needs the most work is on the interior.  Havenstein is, and has remained, a very good run-blocker, but his pass-blocking regressed very notably when the interior OL regressed.  Also worth noting, as I'm sure you'll remember from Aaron Kromer's time in New Orleans, how important the interior and specifically guard-play is to his blocking schemes, and how they take a ton of the load off of the OT's.  Austin Blythe was a liability at center this season and our OL on the whole couldn't hold the POA/tip-of-the-spear to save their lives - which for a pocket passer is handicapping them from the outset.

I didn't necessary like it, but I understood why they felt they had to run with the OL we had this past season - because they had sunk a decent amount of capital (in terms of drafting Bobby Evans, David Edward, and Joe Noteboom as well as trading for Austin Corbett) into it and needed to see what they had before committing more capital and just writing off the guys they had.  We've now seen and we've seen that investing that additional capital is necessary.

Now as to fixing IOL, go back and look at the last 5 or so draft classes (I feel like that's a fair sample size to assess "recent trend").  I genuinely don't believe you're going to be able to honestly tell me you don't see quality, start-able - even highly successful - IOL drafted on Days 2 and 3 of the classes.  I don't expect us to be out targeting big ticket IOL on the FA market, but there may be a journeyman veteran who can patch a hole if it came to it, but I'm not counting on it.  We've speculated that Corbett could be shifted to center to replace a departing Blythe (who will be a free agent) and at least be a John Sullivan level replacement (granted, Sullivan held up the point on a Top 3 OL before free agency wrecked that) - which would be a solid bet since putting a better RG in next to Havenstein would ease the load on him and hopefully restart the outstanding play that led to him getting the extension he had rightfully earned previously, but has since largely regressed from in performance as a pass-blocker.

I'm not saying it's a piece of cake, but it's not nearly the impossible task that some want to make it out to be "with no 1st round (and one less 3rd round) pick."

5 hours ago, TL-TwoWinsAway said:

To some, but I'd take the two future 1sts and a current 3rd over that deal each time.

Plus a starting QB. That continuously gets left out. Even if you think Goff is a bottom 10 starter, he is still a starting level QB in the NFL. I would say he’s in the 21-25 range even in his down years, that is valuable, especially when we’ve seen him be in MVP conversations just 3 years ago.

Many in here will roll their eyes at that, but he was. 2017-2018 happened, that talent is still in there. So even if he splits the difference between ‘18 and ‘20 performances he’s a Top 20 guy and that keeps your team respectable, where as a guy like Tyrod Taylor doesn’t. 

Edited by StLunatic88
  • Like 4

10 minutes ago, StLunatic88 said:

Plus a starting QB. That continuously gets left out. Even if you think Goff is a bottom 10 starter, he is still a starting level QB in the NFL. I would say he’s in the 21-25 range even in his down years, that is valuable, especially when we’ve seen him be in MVP conversations just 3 years ago.

Many in here will roll their eyes at that, but he was. 2017-2018 happened, that talent is still in there. So even if he splits the difference between ‘18 and ‘20 performances he’s a Top 20 guy and that keeps your team respectable, where as a guy like Tyrod Taylor doesn’t. 

Somebody posted the highlights from the Chiefs game in this thread (I think it was this thread). That QB didn't just disappear. I can't predict whether or not Goff will bounce back, but I can say he doesn't lack any of the tools. The key is understanding his flaws and building an offense that masks his flaws. The biggest of those flaws is interior pressure. Give him a stout interior OL, and he'll give you a chance imo.

9 minutes ago, jrry32 said:

Somebody posted the highlights from the Chiefs game in this thread (I think it was this thread). That QB didn't just disappear. I can't predict whether or not Goff will bounce back, but I can say he doesn't lack any of the tools. The key is understanding his flaws and building an offense that masks his flaws. The biggest of those flaws is interior pressure. Give him a stout interior OL, and he'll give you a chance imo.

The Lions have 3/5 of a very good OL. They have to finish the job with a right guard and a right tackle. I would expect that improving those positions, either through coaching or player acquisition, will be among their highest priorities.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Superduperman said:

The Lions have 3/5 of a very good OL. They have to finish the job with a right guard and a right tackle. I would expect that improving those positions, either through coaching or player acquisition, will be among their highest priorities.

Y'all should have gotten the Rams to throw Rob Havenstein into the trade lol.

1 minute ago, jrry32 said:

Y'all should have gotten the Rams to throw Rob Havenstein into the trade lol.

They have a draft pick from last year, Logan Stenberg, who curiously fell off the face of the earth. Because there was no preseason, no one outside the coaching staff saw him at all.  He was inactive for almost every game and I don't think he played a snap. I hope he can show up in some fashion going forward.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Superduperman said:

Who is the other one besides Decker and Ragnow?

7 minutes ago, Superduperman said:

They have a draft pick from last year, Logan Stenberg, who curiously fell off the face of the earth. Because there was no preseason, no one outside the coaching staff saw him at all.  He was inactive for almost every game and I don't think he played a snap. I hope he can show up in some fashion going forward.

Hopefully, he'll emerge. But my recollection is that he's a RG. At least, that's what I recall from Kentucky.

1 hour ago, TL-TwoWinsAway said:

Week 17 games against the Packers for a 6 win Lions' team is considered a "big game"?

You're right. Why should Stafford ever try to get his team in position to make the playoffs come the big game.

The man has been given more excuses than any QB that I can ever remember.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, BStanRamFan said:

We traded a first for Sammy and netted a 3rd round compensatory pick for Watkins.

We traded a first for Peters, but had to move him to make room for Ramsey and in return we got Kenny Young and a 6th round pick. <-- that one sucked, but was necessary.

The only reason the Rams made the super bowl was because of the refs. They're not a contender and never were. They should have used their picks to draft weapons. Guys like DK Metcalf and Mecole Hardman go in the late 2nd and are cheap for 4 years it's better than a 1 year rental and you even said those were for 1st round picks.

Stafford is a big upgrade from Goff so I understand being excited as a Rams fan. Your GM is absolute garbage though and it's why your team isn't a contender to me.