Stafford traded to the Rams for Goff, multiple FRPs

TheRealMcCoy

9 minutes ago, babababa said:

You're right. Why should Stafford ever try to get his team in position to make the playoffs come the big game.

The man has been given more excuses than any QB that I can ever remember.

I mean, if you don't think Stafford has "tried" to get the Lions in position to make the playoffs... it leads me to believe that you aren't familiar with the player. Box scores and stat sheets won't show you "try".

• Like 2

36 minutes ago, Kirill said:

The only reason the Rams made the super bowl was because of the refs. They're not a contender and never were. They should have used their picks to draft weapons. Guys like DK Metcalf and Mecole Hardman go in the late 2nd and are cheap for 4 years it's better than a 1 year rental and you even said those were for 1st round picks.

Stafford is a big upgrade from Goff so I understand being excited as a Rams fan. Your GM is absolute garbage though and it's why your team isn't a contender to me.

The refs and not contender/never were nonsense is just pure trolling. So that won't get an in depth response.

WR's in the 2nd or 3rd round that are cheap for 4 years, like Cooper Kupp?

I love our GM for his aggressiveness and willingness to buck trends. Jax has had top 10 picks in 13 out of the last 14 seasons and they're still hot garbage. So Snead's willingness to trade 1sts doesn't bother in the slightest based on results.

His downfall is giving out deals too early, but he manages to admit he made mistakes and correct them immediately. Also, finding gems like Austin Corbett for a 5th, draft Jordan Fuller in the 6th to start since day 1, rob Bill OBrien for a 2nd on Brandin Cooks, manuever the mid rounds of drafts to accumulate more picks, and develop an entire strategy of making FA moves based off of possible compensatory picks is a stroke of pure genius. He has his downfalls (early contracts), but his positives greatly outweigh the negatives. He's certainly not "garbage" and I'm glad you do not think we're a contender. Luckily, Vegas and other national sports books do. 

BTW, ease up on the salt, it's not good for your heart ;)

Just now, BofaDeez54927 said:

But you wouldn't be using the Jags talent evaluators and FO to make the picks, right? You'd be using the FO and process that has yielded success without a premium pick(s) the last few years.

Yeah. If the Rams can find Fuller in the sixth, imagine what we can do with a first. I get the point people are making. The Rams can stay afloat without first round picks. My problem with the trade is that the Rams could stay afloat with Goff too. I don't think Stafford is the level of QB who makes them a Super Bowl frontrunner. I think it would have been smarter to give Goff another year, and if he didn't improve, trade up in the first round using the picks to try and find a new QB like Reid did with Mahomes. McVay, unfortunately, is starting to remind me a lot of his mentor, Jon Gruden. Gruden's biggest downfall was his lack of patience with and lack of interest in developing young QBs imo.

2 minutes ago, jrry32 said:

Yeah. If the Rams can find Fuller in the sixth, imagine what we can do with a first. I get the point people are making. The Rams can stay afloat without first round picks. My problem with the trade is that the Rams could stay afloat with Goff too. I don't think Stafford is the level of QB who makes them a Super Bowl frontrunner. I think it would have been smarter to give Goff another year, and if he didn't improve, trade up in the first round using the picks to try and find a new QB like Reid did with Mahomes. McVay, unfortunately, is starting to remind me a lot of his mentor, Jon Gruden. Gruden's biggest downfall was his lack of patience with and lack of interest in developing young QBs imo.

I'm with you, I don't jettison Goff unless it's clear I'm upgrading tiers, like Watson. If you're not going to care about 1st rounders, then what's another 1 or 2? 3?

Someone brought it up today that much of the same was said about Bradford jumping tiers and that obviously never happened.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, babababa said:

You're right. Why should Stafford ever try to get his team in position to make the playoffs come the big game.

The man has been given more excuses than any QB that I can ever remember.

Lions don't play in the NFC East, 7-9 record doesn't get the Lions in the playoffs. Try again. 

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Louis Friend said:

Lions don't play in the NFC East, 7-9 record doesn't get the Lions in the playoffs. Try again. 

I won't lie, I LOL'd at the comeback.   

Side note - I'm glad we've got something else to talk about besides TAM-KC that can generate this level of salt on both sides of discussions/arguments.   Makes the 2-week wait more bearable.

NFL needs to have blockbuster trades go down at the halfway point in SB prep time.   Make it so, Roger.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, TL-TwoWinsAway said:

I mean, if you don't think Stafford has "tried" to get the Lions in position to make the playoffs... it leads me to believe that you aren't familiar with the player. Box scores and stat sheets won't show you "try".

Let them hate. Stafford is gonna light up the league now that he has a legit HC. Can you imagine how much more comfortable Stafford is now gonna be when he knows he doesn't need to carry the team on every possession. 

was floored by this when it happened and i'm still floored - great for the rams in the short term and it's maximising their window well; my question for the rams fans is, if this gets them over the top is it worth it, even if it blows the franchise for ten or more years after - surely yes?

i believe in goff and i still think the rams have a winner here, purely because i believe in stafford more

18 minutes ago, Chargers said:

Let them hate. Stafford is gonna light up the league now that he has a legit HC. Can you imagine how much more comfortable Stafford is now gonna be when he knows he doesn't need to carry the team on every possession. 

2 hours ago, TL-TwoWinsAway said:

Of course Stafford tried TL. He tried and tried and tried again and again. He's the king of opportunities and excuses. 

IF Stafford wins in LA good for him. It will change my perception drastically.

1 hour ago, Louis Friend said:

Yeah it was sarcasm. Maybe if the Lions could make big games out of the little games they could finally play in some big games.