Stafford traded to the Rams for Goff, multiple FRPs

TheRealMcCoy

11 minutes ago, DigInBoys said:

Take this with a grain of salt because he lobbied hard to go to the Rams.

His no-trade clause was really all 30 teams that are not the Rams.

Isn't he best friends or high school buddies with Clayton Kershaw?

Edited by SkippyX

It just shows how much teams are undervaluing draft pick due to less of a college football season. The same reason the Seahawks gave up so much for Jamal Adam’s. The draft is even more of a crap shoot and you will see more trades like this. 

8 minutes ago, SkippyX said:

I am not saying he went to LA because of Kershaw but I am saying that he knows the lifestyle of playing there pretty well from sources like Kershaw.

Stafford  owns a home in Newport Beach. He didn’t need to be traded to the Rams to live that lifestyle.

Edited by Louis Friend

2 hours ago, SHONUFF said:

It just shows how much teams are undervaluing draft pick due to less of a college football season. The same reason the Seahawks gave up so much for Jamal Adam’s. The draft is even more of a crap shoot and you will see more trades like this. 

Another thing people ignore as well. But hey people love their draft picks even though draft picks individually don’t mean much in this sport. What’s funny is that the better teams in the NBA don’t value draft picks and that sport an individual has a greater impact on a team. The Rams are not a rebuilding team so they value draft picks less than a rebuilding team does. Rams have first hand experience of getting a draft haul and tell me what superstars or game changing players emerge from that?

4 hours ago, SkippyX said:

Its amazing how people who know almost nothing about the Rams or the Lions are now experts on both.

• Blather: Stafford will now have the best protection of his entire career!
  • Truth: Their best O-lineman is 40 and Goff has had to run for his life often the last 2 years.

Stafford is 10-59 vs playoff teams. That's a .144 win percentage

• This includes the 3 years that he was on his own playoff team
  • Nick Foles beat 2 playoff teams on the 2015 Rams (2-5) 
    • Am I supposed to believe that Stafford's Lions were worse than the 2015 Rams?
  • Gardner Minshew is 2-3 against playoff teams.
    • Am I supposed to believe that Stafford's Lions were worse than the 2019-20 Jags?
  • Sam Darnold is 2-11 vs playoff teams!
    • Am I supposed to believe that Stafford's Lions were worse than the 2018-20 Jets?
  • Fitzmagic was 2-4 against playoff teams in 2019
    • Am I supposed to believe that Stafford's Lions were worse than the 2019 Dolphins?

Are people actually using that Lions crap as an excuse?

If your QB can only win with superior talent then anyone can be your QB because that's easy.

If your QB has to make you better than you are on that day, then Stafford is not your man.

If McVay thinks he can fix him then good luck, because that dude needs fixing.

Stats without much context mean little. Hope you take that on board next time you do one of these statistical breakdowns. And can we stop attributing wins to QBs. Like we are in 2021 and we’re still doing this nonsense? 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Kip Smithers said:

Another thing people ignore as well. But hey people love their draft picks even though draft picks individually don’t mean much in this sport. What’s funny is that the better teams in the NBA don’t value draft picks and that sport an individual has a greater impact on a team. The Rams are not a rebuilding team so they value draft picks less than a rebuilding team does. Rams have first hand experience of getting a draft haul and tell me what superstars or game changing players emerge from that?

It’s a good point. We usually had intradraft deals to get the best players coming out, but with so much emphasis on 1 on 1 battles, people will start doling draft capital for premium players at cornerstone positions. I still think the Rams situation is an outlier, but the Watson situation will be telling. Will it be 3 or 4 1st rounders? 

10 minutes ago, WheatieMan said:

It’s a good point. We usually had intradraft deals to get the best players coming out, but with so much emphasis on 1 on 1 battles, people will start doling draft capital for premium players at cornerstone positions. I still think the Rams situation is an outlier, but the Watson situation will be telling. Will it be 3 or 4 1st rounders? 

Really depends. A team that’s a QB away from being a contender should strongly consider. Watson is a young franchise QB. A team like the 49ers should consider doing it. 

21 hours ago, BStanRamFan said:

Jared Goff has declined since the superbowl run. We just replaced him.

The defense became #1 one in the league last year and greatly improved since our Superbowl run.

It is actually easily debatable. 

And that defense is bound for some regression. The question is Stafford really enough of an upgrade to off set that? I doubt it.

1 minute ago, 1ForTheThumb said:

And that defense is bound for some regression. The question is Stafford really enough of an upgrade to off set that? I doubt it.

If we fall from 1->10 (huge drop off) it would be the second time in Stafford's career he had a top 10 defense. The other time he went 11-5.

He's more of an upgrade than people think, but those people likely didn't watch the Rams all year. 

3 hours ago, Kip Smithers said:

Stats without much context mean little. Hope you take that on board next time you do one of these statistical breakdowns. And can we stop attributing wins to QBs. Like we are in 2021 and we’re still doing this nonsense? 

This. So much this.

The guy posts pages of stats, drawing conclusions on wins/losses and QBR alone. Ridiculous.

There was never a time in Stafford's career where he had decent support from those four phases (running game, protection, weapons, defense) at once. He rarely had two.

4 hours ago, Kip Smithers said:

How is a trend not context? It's not like he cherry picked anything, he offered a large swath of a sample size to compare to other teams who had more success with arguably less talent. What other context are you looking for? You want a play by play breakdown of all those games plus what Stafford had for breakfast and whether or not the center's girlfriend put out the night before?

• Like 1

So why are the Rams keeping the same GM around who gave that megadeal to Goff in the first place? Seems like it was a big mistake and they had to overpay to get rid of him. Rams keep throwing away future assets in the hopes of somehow pulling out a SB run. I just don't see it working out to what they expect. They'll have some playoff runs, but I don't see any SB appearances.