Stafford traded to the Rams for Goff, multiple FRPs

TheRealMcCoy

44 minutes ago, Kip Smithers said:

Then don’t use that metric then.

You use multiple metrics to form the big picture. Foolish to completely throw one out, you add as many as possible to the pile.

40 minutes ago, TL-TwoWinsAway said:

"Similar situations". What? 

You know what's amazing about this place? If I made a thread praising the Lions organization over the past 12 years, I'd get blasted (and rightfully so). In that thread, it would be argued that the Lions organization may be the worst organization in professional sports. Those arguments would be reasonable.

This is completely forgotten when it comes to reflecting on Stafford's career. In the one year where the Lions had a legitimate defense, they went 11-5. He has never had the support of a strong running game, the offensive line was almost always suspect, and the weapons haven't consistently been a strength. Despite this, the guy has done some pretty good things.

Is it no coincidence that those that have watched him play extensively all believe that those (few) stats are misleading? That McVay would trade Goff and future 1sts for a 32 year old QB that has so many negative stats?

For the record, I never once stated my opinion on Stafford. My only point of contention was the wild claims of lack of context. 

36 minutes ago, Kip Smithers said:

AGAINST PLAYOFF TEAMS:

Watson (2017) 1-3

Watson (2018) 2-3

Watson (2019) 3-2

Watson (2020) 0-9

Watson = Not a good QB

I see a 6-17 record. That's a .261 % Its bad, no doubt. Stafford is much, much worse than this.

Watson is also a 25 year old QB with 56 career starts. He's won a playoff game too.

I've watched almost all of those Watson games and some were not his fault but many were.

If he winds up 16-50 after 12 years it will still be way better than Stafford, and he will still be a failure.

Or he wins 3 playoff games 1 year and has an Eli type career with limited but bright success, who can say?

Stafford is a 33 year old QB with 167 career starts

Its not that Stafford is personally responsible for every bit of that pathetic record.

Its that he did not do enough to win another 8-15 of those games. (unlike almost every other QB in NFL history)

Winning is numbers 1 through 9 but a distant 10 is statistics.

Watson is the 2nd ranked passer rating QB of all time so far behind Mahomes.

Stafford is 21st behind 14 dudes who played in 2020 (12 in 2021)

One of those guys played for the Rams last year.

Edited by SkippyX

3 minutes ago, SkippyX said:

I see a 6-17 record. That's a .261 % Its bad, no doubt. Stafford is much, much worse than this.

Watson is also a 25 year old QB with 56 career starts. He's won a playoff game too.

I've watched almost all of those Watson games and some were not his fault but many were.

If he winds up 16-50 after 12 years it will still be way better than Stafford, and he will still be a failure.

Or he wins 3 playoff games 1 year and has an Eli type career with limited but bright success, who can say?

Its not that Stafford is personally responsible for every bit of that pathetic record.

Its that he did not do enough to win another 8-15 of those games. (unlike almost every other QB in NFL history)

One of those guys played for the Rams last year.

Loool so now we’re arguing degrees of bad now? Gotcha.

5 minutes ago, SkippyX said:

And yet, despite all of this, you feel that Stafford is a "good QB", and often close to the Top 10 range.

8 minutes ago, Deadpulse said:

You use multiple metrics to form the big picture. Foolish to completely throw one out, you add as many as possible to the pile.

You got multiple metrics enough as it is, why does wins needed to be added? It’s literally the only metric that incorporates the entire team and doesn’t isolate a QB performance. Makes no sense. 

18 minutes ago, TL-TwoWinsAway said:

Wait. You just listed pages and pages of negative stats and even said that Stafford "has been a bad QB". You said that. Those words: "bad QB".

Now it's "I think he's a good QB". The pages of stats seem to dispute that. What are you basing this opinion on?

You really need to relax. I am not here to make you feel good about Stafford and give you his biography and place in the universe. 🤣

I am pointing out why he is not elite.

• The guy was a number 1 pick in the NFL. 
  • He is the 21st highest rated passer.
  • He's made pro bowls.
  • He's not trash and I never said he was.
  • I'm not hot take Harry trying to say Wade Wilson was better.

I am just destroying the propaganda of ELITE VICTIM STAFFORD held back by terrible Detroit.

The false narrative is that QBs on bad teams can't ever win against playoff teams. (I have shown clear evidence that this is a lie)

Cutler and Vinny are close to him on TDs to pick sixes.

Both guys started in the AFCCG or NFCCG after moving to different teams.

Both guys made pro bowls.

Neither was elite.

I am not saying Stafford is the same as them, I am showing everyone some legitimate flaws in a QB who is worshipped.

9 minutes ago, Kip Smithers said:

You got multiple metrics enough as it is, why does wins needed to be added? It’s literally the only metric that incorporates the entire team and doesn’t isolate a QB performance. Makes no sense. 

It still carries weight whether you like it or not. Two QBs could have the exact same stats but one wins more games. That tells you one of two things, that one QB pads his stats or one QB has had a worse supporting cast. You are correct that it is not isolated to a QB performance but to a team performance (at least I am pretty sure that is what you were getting at), but that does not invalidate it from offering valuable perspective when look at a QB given how heavily they are involved in the outcome of games. Standing on its own it holds much less value, but with other stats and metrics it offers a perspective that needs to be considered. 

I'm also not saying that a good coach in McVay can't improve him, and put him in a great position to succeed.

• Good coaches do this all the time.
  • McVay is likely the best offensive mind he's been around at this point.

I'm just not buying the false narratives of Stafford in Detroit greatness held back by things he could not affect.

Part of the narrative might be the 0-16 team that he was not on, but got him drafted and the 2-14 rookie team

• AFAIK no one blames him for his 2-8 on that team or his 1-2 and injury the next year on that 6-10 team.

The 2011-2017 Lions were way better than people give them credit for.

• Caldwell is a good or bad coach depending on if you are defending Stafford at that moment. (one example)

Patricia did a terrible job and Stafford got hurt again, but I've already shown that Stafford is partly responsible for Patricia.

• He did not do enough to keep Caldwell there.

I don't know why it's so hard to admit that while the Lions haven't exactly surrounded Stafford with a plethora of talent and coaching genius, Stafford's own decision making and play at crucial moments has contributed to the team's inability to make the postseason or advance in the postseason.

Sure, you can point at 2014 and how many wins the Lions had with a very good defense.  I'd also add that Stafford's three 2nd half TOs in Dallas are one of the reasons they didn't have a 12th that year.

Final score was a blow out in NO, but that was a 24-21 game entering the 4Q.  Saints extended the lead to 31-21 with 10 minutes to play.  The very next Lions offensive play is an arm punt INT from Stafford.  Brees closed the door with a long TD pass a few plays later.

If Stafford plays at the same level with the Rams as he did with the Lions, then I'd imagine the trade will be a huge bust for the Rams. 

This trade isn't for slightly above average-pretty good Stafford.  

• Like 2

If Mcvay turned Goff around.. I’m 100% sure he can convert Stafford into a top Qb. People forget the nasty things that were said about Goff.. And he was so much worse than Stafford ever was his rookie year. People gave up on him. The old players gave up on him! And Sean molded him. There’s been many reports that the reason Sean was infuriated with Goff! Is that he lacked work ethic. He didn’t put the time in. And honestly by his play the last 2 years I can see that being the case. I just can’t explain how he went from being a top 10 QB to a huge massive regression! Other than not putting in the hours.. Maybe his GF or the contracts made him too comfortable. Goff never improved after his 3rd year. He went from being one of the best deep ball throwers to one of the worst.. Dude was so Agressive and we begged him to take the dump offs! Now these last 2 years he went full dink and dunk..