Rams trade 2 future first rounders, a third rounder, and Jared Goff for Matthew Stafford

TheRealMcCoy

40 minutes ago, JonStark said:

My opinion was that the Rams gave up on Goff too early, which they did. That has nothing to do with Stafford. 

My bad. I only replied to your comment here. I thought you were discussing Stafford. That's what I was responding to.

"The whole "Lions were bad" excuse is getting overused. Same with the "Rams were good" one. Stafford was a big part of the Lions team and Goff was a big part of the Rams team. One shouldn't get a pass for the team being bad while the other doesn't get credit for the team being good when they play the most important position on the field."

• Like 3

51 minutes ago, JonStark said:

I still don't understand how you can give Stafford a complete pass for the Lions being bad. Yes, they made a lot of really poor decisions, but he was the QB of the team. He has to take some blame, just like Goff has to get some credit for leading his team to the playoffs 3 out of the last 4 years and barely missing the 4th. 

I still have yet to hear someone explain to me actually how we can fill all of our holes under the cap without hearing the words "Snead can work the cap". I know he's great at it, but explain to me how we are going to have enough money to give Jones the money he will want and still fill the rest of the holes. He's not going to accept the vet minimum just to come to LA. 

I understand what you're saying about win now, which I don't disagree with, but we could've won now with Goff if we addressed the team's issues. All of these other QB (including Stafford) went through what he went through without their team bailing on them and matured into very good QB. Goff said that he always felt something was wrong this year but no one approached him about it. That's not how you treat your QB and expect him to maintain his confidence. 

Im not giving Stafford a complete pass but Im saying the Lions organization is poor so I tend to look at them more than Stafford. Stafford was the top pick for a reason. The Lions was and still is a poor franchise that drafted Stafford. Can we say the only thing they got right other than Stafford was Megatron and even he retired early. When two of the best franchise players in Barry Sanders and Megatron retire early it says alot about the organization. So of course Im going to look at the organization more than Stafford. Again Im not giving Stafford a complete pass but Im saying Im willing to give him some benefit of the doubt because of the organization he was with. As multiple people have said, this will be the perfect example of an elite talent going to a great situation to see if it was him just not being a great as we think he is or was it the organization he was with holding him back from being great. 

Im not a cap expert and I dont pretend to be someone who is all up in the draft when it comes to guys in the later rounds. All I know is the Rams have shown in recent history they can find guys in FA like a Floyd to replace Fowler Jr. Like a Williams who was waived by the Ravens to be the starting corner opposite of Ramsey and end up playing like a top 10 cornerback in the league. They can find a Hill who had like 3 defensive tds this season and played well even the season prior. They can draft guys like Fuller in the 6th round when I know on draft day most people on this forum didnt like the pick because the Rams did draft Burgess earlier. So again I dont know how the Rams will do it but in recent memory they have found ways to put guys on the roster to still make the unit and the team compete at a high level. Even at kicker it took awhile to replace Zeurlein but Gay has shown that he is the man for the job. I dont know about Jones I just was saying he might want to join Stafford in LA. The Rams need a deep threat, Im sure Stafford will recruit him and plus Ill keep saying this, if a team really want a player they can get that player no matter the cap situation. Ive seen it happen far to many times. If the Rams really want Jones I strongly believe they will find a way to get him.

I agree with you. Not only could we win with Goff, we was winning with Goff. Im just saying what I think McVay was thinking. There is something to be said when the coach wants a particular QB. As I said, the Chiefs were winning with Smith but Reid traded up to get Mahomes and moved on from Smith a year later. I personally dont know what Goff felt was wrong this season but I do hope he can use this as a motivating factor to be the best he can be. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, LeotheLion said:

I watched this one. I forgot what point it was in the game but Stafford took a terrible sack that pushed them either out of FG range or set up a long miss. The FG would have made it a 3 possession game. That was my least favorite play Stafford made. 

But he threw that beauty to Swift. 

Hmm.. maybe it was the Mitch Trubisky 27 yard sack you’re talking about? Stafford was sacked once that I could remember and it was in their own half at like the 30. But that throw to Swift was definitely a beauty. I felt so bad for him lol first career game.

9 hours ago, TL-TwoWinsAway said:

My bad. I only replied to your comment here. I thought you were discussing Stafford. That's what I was responding to.

"The whole "Lions were bad" excuse is getting overused. Same with the "Rams were good" one. Stafford was a big part of the Lions team and Goff was a big part of the Rams team. One shouldn't get a pass for the team being bad while the other doesn't get credit for the team being good when they play the most important position on the field."

Yeah I'm definitely not saying that you can completely throw that reasoning out, just that both results were also affected by the QB themselves as well.

Don't worry you're not one of the guys that I was referring to even though I quoted you. I like getting Stafford, I just don't like what we gave up. Around the Rams forum it seems you have to either love everything about the trade or it means you hate everything about it. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, MDY10 said:

Hmm.. maybe it was the Mitch Trubisky 27 yard sack you’re talking about? Stafford was sacked once that I could remember and it was in their own half at like the 30. But that throw to Swift was definitely a beauty. I felt so bad for him lol first career game.

I just looked it up. 9 yard sack on the 33 yard line on 2nd and 8. They then missed a 55 yard FG. There was 6 minutes left at that point. It was a sack on a sprint out and Stafford stupidly held the ball trying to make a play. Just absolutely awful. 

Edited by LeotheLion
  • Like 1

I think it simply comes down to McVay not believing Goff was going to take another step and being able to make some throws that McVay needs him to in order to open up the playbook. I've been a strong Goff supporter over the years, but there comes a point where you look at production versus potential. I can't sit here making excuses for a guy who continues to make mistakes a first year player would. I wish Goff nothing but success, but being average doesn't move the needle enough to make a SB run.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, JonStark said:

Honestly, you guys will never convince me that it wasn't too early to move on from Goff at age 26. We've seen too many QB in the past turn it on after that and we've seen Goff do it. 

It wasn't too early to move on from Goff. What's made him too early to leave was his horrible contract. 

Now could we have use a different strategy with Goff staying at LA ? Yes we could upgrade the overall team with cap and picks and praying that GOff would be better. But if Goff isn't playing better, we would lost another year with key player getting old like Donald or Whitworth. 

So i can understand the logic behind this move. We have a short window and we don't have time to know if Goff will be better or not. And the trend is showing that he didn't improve since year 2 so, they decide to move from him.

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, Flounch said:

But if Goff isn't playing better, we would lost another year with key player getting old like Donald or Whitworth. 

This right here is what helped me come to terms with the trade. If Goff didn't work out, we could've worked towards finding his replacement with the picks/money we have (I think he can be cut after 2022 for $0 dead cap but might be making that up). That being said, our core guys are getting older and even if Goff does progress like I'm assuming he will, who knows if it will happen before the rest of the team starts declining. 

So I get the logic of the move and while I personally wouldn't have made it, I've come to terms with it. 

• Like 1

Peter Schrager on Simmons Podcast just told the story of how the deal went down and said verbatim that McVay "strong armed the front office" who did like Goff. 😄

He said to the front office," I dont want Goff, I want Stafford, put all the pressure on my shoulders." I love it!

This is obviously something that divides the fanbase which sucks, but I love the confidence of our coach to say something like that and believe in himself. This will make or break his career and I'm betting on him. 

If anyone has spotify it's a great listen btw. Schrager is very close with McVay on a personal level so I trust alot of what he says on the Rams. 

• Like 8

16 minutes ago, BStanRamFan said:

Peter Schrager on Simmons Podcast just told the story of how the deal went down and said verbatim that McVay "strong armed the front office" who did like Goff. 😄

He said to the front office," I dont want Goff, I want Stafford, put all the pressure on my shoulders." I love it!

This is obviously something that divides the fanbase which sucks, but I love the confidence of our coach to say something like that and believe in himself. This will make or break his career and I'm betting on him. 

If anyone has spotify it's a great listen btw. Schrager is very close with McVay on a personal level so I trust alot of what he says on the Rams. 

It's weird. I love it and hate it at the same time.

I love it because of the confidence and the passion he has to get a Superbowl win. Nothing else matters to him, as it shouldn't. 

I hate it because he honestly might just be a control freak, and that's not a good environment for anyone else to work in. That's bad because it limits the creative ideas flowing around, will cause drama between players (ie Goff and Gurley), and like you said, might make or break his career. 

Say it doesn't work and it breaks his career. Then we would've lost a great coach because he put it all on his shoulders instead of just being a great coach and sharing the load. Even if I disagree with this move, I'm with you on betting on him until he shows me otherwise, but it's still a little concerning type of behavior. 

20 minutes ago, BStanRamFan said:

Schrager's sources with the Rams are as strong as anyone's. He was saying all week before the WC game that Wolford would start.

I just wish McVay realized this before the extension. I'll never understand that piece of it.

• Like 6

1 minute ago, LeotheLion said:

Schrager's sources with the Rams are as strong as anyone's. He was saying all week before the WC game that Wolford would start.

I just wish McVay realized this before the extension. I'll never understand that piece of it.

I just think they were betting on the come. Meaning, if this guy is this good 3 years in then we have to project how great he'll be in X years. And instead, he went the other direction the following two seasons. It ties into their aggressivness as a front office so it makes sense, but they didn't project Goff's regression and honestly, how could you?

4 minutes ago, JonStark said:

I hate it because he honestly might just be a control freak, and that's not a good environment for anyone else to work in. That's bad because it limits the creative ideas flowing around, will cause drama between players (ie Goff and Gurley), and like you said, might make or break his career. 

Say it doesn't work and it breaks his career. Then we would've lost a great coach because he put it all on his shoulders instead of just being a great coach and sharing the load. Even if I disagree with this move, I'm with you on betting on him until he shows me otherwise, but it's still a little concerning type of behavior. 

There's rumors that Kyle Shanahan is a control freak as well and I honestly, I think alot of it has to do with age. There's so much pressure on these guys at a young age to prove they're worth these roles early on that they take on the brunt of the responsibility. As you get older and prove your worth you become more lax, but McVay doesnt have that luxury still being the youngest in the league. McVay wants greatness and I can't fault him for going overboard in his pursuit of it. It's really an all or nothing mentality that you only see with the great ones. The behavior and mentality is eerily similar of Kobe Bryant.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, BStanRamFan said:

I just think they were betting on the come. Meaning, if this guy is this good 3 years in then we have to project how great he'll be in X years. And instead, he went the other direction the following two seasons. It ties into their aggressivness as a front office so it makes sense, but they didn't project Goff's regression and honestly, how could you?

Because they watched the SB, Lions game, and Bears game. There had to be enough warning signs to delay the extension. 

If Goff crushed it in 2019, how much more would we be paying? Maybe $2m more a year at most. An extra year of assurance is worth it when we didn't get a discount signing him early. 

My guess is McVay was just inexperienced and didn't have the forward thinking to project what his offense needs will be going forward to combat worsening OL and defensive adjustments. But that sort of thing can't happen again. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, LeotheLion said:

Schrags and McVay are legit friends. I like how much he pumps the Rams.

Edit: Just saw BStan's last sentence lol

Edited by btfd16
  • Like 1

On 2/5/2021 at 6:08 AM, BStanRamFan said:

Is this on apple?