Rams trade 2 future first rounders, a third rounder, and Jared Goff for Matthew Stafford

TheRealMcCoy

Just now, BStanRamFan said:

We've been successful without first round picks for the last 5 years. We've consistently replenished this roster with talent from rounds 2-6 along with low priced FA's. The 1st round picks would likely have been 23rd or higher, meaning they're equally valued to high 2nd round picks.

What this franchise did today, is what they've done the last 4 years: trade 1sts for proven talent. If you don't like it today, it's because you don't like WHO they traded for or who they traded away. That's fine. But it is a system that has been proven to be successful for this franchise.

I hope once emotions die down, the fan base will rally around Matt Stafford and really see how lucky we are to be top 3 team in the NFL. It's going to be a great next few years building upon the last 4. 

Jared Goff is a tough SOB and I thank him for his time while here. I wish him nothing but the best in Detroit. 

I feel like it's still a bit premature to call us a Top 3 team in the NFL.  However, I do see some of what I believe may be Les and Sean's line of thinking.  It may prove to be a rash gamble, but they're expecting some regression in the powers-that-be in the conference (most specifically a post-Brees New Orleans... for at least a couple seasons).  I'm not naive enough to think that moves are made with one game in mind, but if the Chiefs don't make back-to-back Super Bowls, there's at least a fair chance the front office doesn't feel this move is necessary, but they did, and a trend is showing where we can probably expect a Brady-Lite kind of standard from Mahomes (at least as long as the Pat/Andy/Kelce triumverate remains in-tact) wherein the Chiefs will be representing the AFC in the Super Bowl at least every-third, if not every-other year for the foreseeable future (Mahomes did what Rodgers couldn't).  Goff definitely could have improved on his form of the last 2 seasons.  But, barring putting an elite OL and running game in there with him, to go along with our defense not losing much in form, Goff wasn't going to beat Mahomes head-to-head in a Super Bowl.  Yes, we beat them on the one occasion we played them of late, but that was in a shootout and KC's defense was markedly terribad back then.

7 minutes ago, MDY10 said:

Another reason the rams had to over pay was because other teams were SERIOUSLY interested.

Yes but no matter what you think of Goff right now, those teams (Was, Ind, Chi, SF, etc) stating points and starting QB options today were much lower than ours. So they should have been all in. 

1 minute ago, MDY10 said:

Haha I feel you. It’s tough in the moment too when you’re heated and arguing with people. Makes it tougher. As a fellow rams fan though I’m sure we’ve felt very similar pains in the last 18 years (that’s all I’ve seen), and felt similar optimism in the last 5 ish. It’s safe to say most people on here are die hards.. it’s a life commitment lol 

i did explain in another post that I understood the reason for being upset but why do you have a problem with the overpay? Genuinely curious lol 

I have watched Stafford for many years, and I think he's plagued by many of the things that frustrate us with Goff. Ultimately, I think the Rams just mortgaged their future for a guy who isn't a huge upgrade on Goff. And if Goff actually does improve (being a young QB, he could), Stafford could end up being the lesser QB in this deal. But even assuming Goff remains the same guy he is now, the Rams went from a guy who is like the #20 QB in the NFL to a guy who is #13 or so. And the Rams paid a buttload in draft compensation to do it. I'd have preferred to ride it out with Goff for another year to doing what we did. Stafford isn't young and has had some injuries the past couple of years. This deal gives the Rams no real other options. It's Stafford or bust. I don't like going all in on Stafford.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, StLunatic88 said:

Has it? Because according to you, it’s supposedly Lombardi or bust, and that has yet to happen under this approach

I got some heat the other day for saying rams fans haven’t been able to be happy for  20 years, and while I was wrong and should have said that we have been able to be happy once.. but we wouldn’t even have argued that if Mcvay and Snead and this approach hadn’t happened. I think that they Clearly are doing something right in 4 years to make playoffs all but one year. It’s not like we’re one and done either. I even get carried away because rams fans desperately want a superbowl NOW and it’s frustrating but they get us in positions to win every year.  

According to my source(s), Goff was starting to lose the locker room with his inconsistent play. Specifically the defensive players were getting fed up with it. The offensive players didn't mind as much. Also, (to what I said earlier) there was sense that Goff was too comfortable and some felt like he didnt want to be great based on his work ethic. McVay, who is a team and culture first guy felt it was necessary to move on because the complacency from Goff was now two years in the making. Also, McVay was surprised at how fast Wolford picked up the offense and executed compared to Goff. 

Some of you may already know who my source is but take it for what its worth. it may or may not be true. It is one person's perspective. Not saying any of this is true. just passing along what i heard

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, jrry32 said:

I have watched Stafford for many years, and I think he's plagued by many of the things that frustrate us with Goff. Ultimately, I think the Rams just mortgaged their future for a guy who isn't a huge upgrade on Goff. And if Goff actually does improve (being a young QB, he could), Stafford could end up being the lesser QB in this deal. But even assuming Goff remains the same guy he is now, the Rams went from a guy who is like the #20 QB in the NFL to a guy who is #13 or so. And the Rams paid a buttload in draft compensation to do it. I'd have preferred to ride it out with Goff for another year to doing what we did. Stafford isn't young and has had some injuries the past couple of years. This deal gives the Rams no real other options. It's Stafford or bust. I don't like going all in on Stafford.

Ahhh okay, that’s definitely fair. I guess ultimately it comes down to how each person feels about Stafford. I’ve always been a closet lions fan since they’ve always been pretty bad and always root for them. I do like Stafford and his personality on this team. I think his type of personality brings alot of fun and energy to the team, and that’s not a knock on Goff because he seems like a good dude too. I also think that regardless of what we think of Stafford, he’s well respected around the league and one thing that I really felt was that no teams respect Goff. Obviously I mean on the field now. I know you’ve seen a lot of film on him but hopefully he comes in and gels immediately with these receivers. Could be something special imo. Hope you stick around though, I personally enjoy many of in depth analysis on many things. We probably won’t always see eye to eye but that’s what this is all about. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, rocky_rams said:

According to my source(s), Goff was starting to lose the locker room with his inconsistent play. Specifically the defensive players were getting fed up with it. The offensive players didn't mind as much. Also, (to what I said earlier) there was sense that Goff was too comfortable and some felt like he didnt want to be great based on his work ethic. McVay, who is a team and culture first guy felt it was necessary to move on because the complacency from Goff was now two years in the making. Also, McVay was surprised at how fast Wolford picked up the offense and executed compared to Goff. 

Some of you may already know who my source is but take it for what its worth. it may or may not be true. It is one person's perspective. Not saying any of this is true. just passing along what i heard

The clear disrespect by Jalen over the last few days was tough to see. I like Jared and wish him the best but I felt bad for him. Love Jalen but damn lol I do think it was obvious no one trusted him though. I’m not saying this is what happened either, but sometimes when a team doesn’t see a guy working his butt off to be great, his poor play will magnify by 100 inside the locker room. Again not saying he doesn’t work hard, because I don’t know him nor am I there. I just see this is too tight of a locker room to turn on him for no reason. Then again this team has a short fuse on players they don’t think will pan out so who knows. 

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, rocky_rams said:

My biggest problem with this is the leaders on the defense (Donald, Brockers, JJIII) were around in 2018 when the defense drastically underperformed and the offense had to carry the water. 

Though is your source publicly known? I'd be curious who it is. 

The more I think about the trade the more I can at least rationalize it. It's not what I'd do but we'll see. We better improve the offensive line. That 2nd pick has to be a day 1 interior lineman. 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, LeotheLion said:

My biggest problem with this is the leaders on the defense (Donald, Brockers, JJIII) were around in 2018 when the defense drastically underperformed and the offense had to carry the water. 

Though is your source publicly known? I'd be curious who it is. 

The more I think about the trade the more I can at least rationalize it. It's not what I'd do but we'll see. We better improve the offensive line. That 2nd pick has to be a day 1 interior lineman. 

yeah i've mentioned it before on this forum. he actually plays for the team. 

I think it was mostly Goff's complacency and work ethic that ultimately got under McVay's skin. By the way, McVay was still feeding info to Goff through the headset this season on coverages. 

• Like 1

Just now, rocky_rams said:

I think it was mostly Goff's complacency and work ethic that ultimately got under McVay's skin. By the way, McVay was still feeding info to Goff through the headset this season on coverages. 

I would expect him to do the same thing with Stafford next year. Brian Hoyer said Kyle Shanahan used to do the same thing with him. It's smart strategy to use the QB comms to do that. It gives the additional eyes on the defense.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, jrry32 said:

I've rooted for this team for such a long time while it sucked. And I think this might be it for me.

You're from the Jacksonville area right or close to it? If you change teams, I think the Jags would be the ideal choice with Lawrence/Meyer coming to town.

But I mean despite giving up what the team did, they are better today than they were yesterday. Goff may be able to turn it around but he just had too much inconsistent play and McVay was done with him. A move was going to happen one way or another. I mean reports already came out that there was going to be a freaking QB competition between Goff and Wolford? Yeah, that was a clear leak by McVay or Snead right there. 

Rams will be fine. 

4 minutes ago, rocky_rams said:

Can you mention again or message me? I'm curious. 

There clearly was something about Goff that made this happen. 

The defensive part of it pisses me off though because they did have to win a lot games this year but Goff and the offense had to do that a lot in the past as well. I'd hate that type of in team fighting. 

3 minutes ago, jrry32 said:

I would expect him to do the same thing with Stafford next year. Brian Hoyer said Kyle Shanahan used to do the same thing with him. It's smart strategy to use the QB comms to do that. It gives the additional eyes on the defense.

Thats fine and all but McVay was reading the coverages to Goff