Rams trade 2 future first rounders, a third rounder, and Jared Goff for Matthew Stafford

TheRealMcCoy

Wake up in the morning, hoping to get a beautiful rest day, read the news, wondering if i'm still sleeping and beeing in a nightmare. 

Because this is what it is, a NIGHTMARE. 

You know me, i don't really support Goff but this move is mindblowing in the worst possible way. 

I don't mind having Stafford but for 2 first round pick, a 3rd round pick and Goff, Jeezz that's too much for a 33 years old QB. 

I also don't think Stafford is a huge upgrade over Goff, basically, i see Stafford like an older version of Goff. 

I don't see the logic behind this move. If Mcvay think Wolford provide a spark in this offense because he can move out of the pocket, why trade for Stafford ? 

He's not moving outside the pocket and if we still have issue on OL, i don't see how Stafford will be better than Goff.  Maybe slighty better, but better enough to justify throwing 2 first round pick and 3 rd round pick ? Hell no

And not only we gave up draft pick, but we also having a 22M dead cap this year ? 

How can we sign FA this year ? With a lot of key players testing FA market specially in defense, we are not going to be competitive this year. 

And how we are gonna upgrade this OL ? 

Acquiring Stafford may be slighty improve QB position but it won't improve this team overall. The better move was to improve the team overall and stay with Goff/Wolford.

So mad at this move jeez.  

Edited by Flounch

8 hours ago, LeotheLion said:

I'm assuming, Stafford will get an extension to help cap this year. 

Yes Snead gonna extend him for a 5 years +100M guaranteed and trade him 2 years later for peanuts. Just wait and see.

6 hours ago, rocky_rams said:

According to my source(s), Goff was starting to lose the locker room with his inconsistent play. Specifically the defensive players were getting fed up with it. The offensive players didn't mind as much. Also, (to what I said earlier) there was sense that Goff was too comfortable and some felt like he didnt want to be great based on his work ethic. McVay, who is a team and culture first guy felt it was necessary to move on because the complacency from Goff was now two years in the making. Also, McVay was surprised at how fast Wolford picked up the offense and executed compared to Goff. 

Some of you may already know who my source is but take it for what its worth. it may or may not be true. It is one person's perspective. Not saying any of this is true. just passing along what i heard

What's your source ? Staff ? Player ? 

I still think Detroit won this trade longterm but the good thing for you guys is that you get a superior QB out of this.

Your Superbowl window is still open for sy least 2-3 years. Winning it makes this trade pay off. Otherwise, a full rebuild might take place.

This move, in a way, reminds me of the 2009 Vikings. I think your team is a bit younger than that squad, but its a signal that you guys are all in right now. Good luck with that!

9 hours ago, jrry32 said:

I don't know what I'm going to do. Would probably be inclined to root for the Jaguars. Or maybe the Chargers or Lions if I really wanted to punish myself lol. Coach Kneecap-breaker might be entertaining.

Chargers would be a solid choice simply because Herbert is a very entertaining QB to watch. 

First off the picks dont mean anything to me. Rams traded away (2) 1st round picks for Ramsey. Jags fans thought they were going to get top 15 picks but nope they got the 20th overall pick and now the 25th overall pick. Ill do that deal everyday of the week for Ramsey. So seeing (2) 1st round picks plus a 3rd round pick doesnt bother me at all. The Rams will still be contenders so their picks are going to be in the 20s so that first and foremost. Not to mention the Rams for this draft still keep their 2nd and have (2) 3rds. They will probably do some trading down to get more picks and finding players outside of the 1st round have never been an issue for the Rams.

Ok so with Goff, I still believe in him but if McVay doesnt believe in him anymore then who am I? We can talk about why did the Rams sign Goff to a long term deal then? Well guess what, in baseball Nolan Arenado signed a 8yr 260m contract and just one year removed got traded from the Rockies to the Cards. Now I know someone is going to say NFL isnt MLB. I get that but Im just saying nowadays contracts mean little to nothing. Watson signed a big deal with the Texans recently and now wants out. So again contracts mean little to nothing. People get paid in the FO to figure out a way to make deals happen and to get out of them as best as possible. 

Ive always just focused away from the money, contracts, and cap stuff and just focus on football. On the field we know Stafford is talented. He is more talented than Goff. Age isnt a factor to me because the Rams are Superbowl ready now. The Bucs moved on from a young Winston or even potentially to go get a young QB in the draft in Herbert or Tua to go get the oldest QB in the NFL in Brady. They felt like they was Superbowl ready now. Stafford in Detroit was held back by just poor organization. The only decent to good coach he had was Jim Caldwell from 2014-2017. Stafford won 36 games had 3 winning seasons and made the playoffs 2 times. Do we know why the Lions moved on from Caldwell? I dont know but it was a huge mistake. To make things worst they hired Matt Patricia. He could be one of the worst coaches in NFL history. Now they hired Dan Campbell. Cant knock him because I dont know how he is going to do but if I was a Lions fan he certainly wouldnt intrigue me or make me feel optimistic about the future. So thats what Stafford had to work with in Detroit. He goes to a Rams team that has a great organization. Stafford finally get to work with a top 5 coach in the NFL. Its like Brees going from San Diego where they literally was writing him off because they traded for his replacement in Rivers to going to New Orleans linking up with Payton and becoming an all-time great. Now I dont think Stafford will be an all-time great BUT Stafford is going to be amazing statistically and winning with the Rams for the next 5yrs minimum. Im not going to doubt McVay who turned Cousins who had no value to being of great value. McVay turned Goff from a bust to being a successful young QB who went to the Superbowl. He even made Wolford who nobody knew about come in win a game with the playoffs on the line and was the first QB to have 200yds passing and 50yds rushing in his debut. So Stafford with McVay will be great.

Ill give you my prediction for the 2021 season. Rams will go (11-5) and possibly even (12-4) which they shouldve went this year and we will once again see them in the divisional round of the playoffs. Lets see if Stafford will be the difference they can move forward to the NFCCG or even the Superbowl. I personally think he can with McVay and this elite defense. Akers is a superstar and I think will hit the ground running this upcoming season. One thing Stafford never had in Detroit was a running game. They went ages without having a 100yd rusher. So again Stafford has everything he need in LA to be successful and I already think he is more talented than Goff and thats not slight to Goff because I think Goff is very talented to. So Im intrigued. 

9 hours ago, BStanRamFan said:

Biggest betting markets in the country are now LV and NJ. When the dust settles and hopefully Watson doesn't go to SF, we will likely be Top 5-6 as you mentioned. We got better today. It was not a "lateral move" as some previously stated.

Take your soft, pretentious, Goff-lovin a$$ the F off this board if you're not riding with the Rams. No one cares dude. The Rams are bigger than Jared Goff and will now be better without Jared Goff. And once they restructure Stafford we will have more cap space to add to this contender. You're saltier than the Red Sea.

Good Bye GIF

You are something else man. Lol just a real gem on this forum. 

• Like 2

9 hours ago, MDY10 said:

Yeah I’m definitely pretty shocked with the fans in this forum right now lol we don’t use first rounders anyway.. one was given to take that massive contract and we have how many thirds? Still kept our second Too. IF somehow Watson ends up staying in Houston this is an even bigger win for the rams. He’s 32 years old and has never played on a decent team. So much for being thankful as rams fans that we have a team that goes out and gets whatever needs to be done, done. Of course get Watson if you can but I think it says something that they didn’t. I have no doubt they called or heavily weighed their options. Mathew Stafford is our QB.. I think that’s fantastic. I’m very happy for him as a person too to get out of Detroit. Guess I’ll be one of the few though sadly. Now all the Goff lovers will hate Matt and the war will somehow continue on this forum

No one can hate Matt. He's an awesome guy and awesome player. I will always hate giving up on Goff before age 27 and selling the farm to do so. 

Take your soft, pretentious, Goff-lovin a$$ the F off this board if you're not riding with the Rams. No one cares dude.  

You are such a tool dude. 

One 1st for Stafford.

Another 1st to take Goff's awful contract.

The 3rd Holmes gave us.

And now we're SuperBowl contenders. Legitimate ones. We might even be able to win if our defense plays poorly. 

Oh the awful contract that Snead and Mcvay went to bat for? ALL HAIL MCSNEAD!

9 hours ago, LeotheLion said:

If we don't win a SB this is a massive L. I hope we address the line because Stafford doesn't have Goff's durability. 

This is true, and now we have even less resources to do so. 

8 hours ago, BStanRamFan said:

Jared Goff is a tough SOB and I thank him for his time while here. I wish him nothing but the best in Detroit. 

Get out of here with this fakeness. You'll be piling on next year if he struggles in Detroit and you know it. 

34 minutes ago, TheOnePiece said:

You are something else man. Lol just a real gem on this forum. 

Admittedly, I was drinking last night when I heard the news. But I don't like that fans can just move on from a team when something doesn't go there way. I think that's pretty soft. But @jrry32 is a good poster on this board. If he changes teams, some good conversation will be lost on the Rams front.

3 minutes ago, JonStark said:

You are such a tool dude. 

Oh the awful contract that Snead and Mcvay went to bat for? ALL HAIL MCSNEAD!

Get out of here with this fakeness. You'll be piling on next year if he struggles in Detroit and you know it. 

sureeeee. 

The contract was bad and they were smart enough to move on. It's about recognizing it and not letting it drag you down. Other franchises would have stuck with him and rode the franchise into the ground. Good for them for admitting their mistakes.

And when he struggles next year, I won't have to say anything. The Goff lovers will just know he was a product of McVay. If he comes out slinging and turns that team into a WC contender, I'll eat crow. I did before in 2017 when he took us to the playoffs and again when he took us to the SuperBowl.  Nothing wrong with admitting you're wrong about something. 

8 hours ago, rocky_rams said:

According to my source(s), Goff was starting to lose the locker room with his inconsistent play. Specifically the defensive players were getting fed up with it. The offensive players didn't mind as much. Also, (to what I said earlier) there was sense that Goff was too comfortable and some felt like he didnt want to be great based on his work ethic. McVay, who is a team and culture first guy felt it was necessary to move on because the complacency from Goff was now two years in the making. Also, McVay was surprised at how fast Wolford picked up the offense and executed compared to Goff. 

Some of you may already know who my source is but take it for what its worth. it may or may not be true. It is one person's perspective. Not saying any of this is true. just passing along what i heard

I believe that Goff got complacent, which is unacceptable, but losing the locker room is 100% on the coach. If your QB is bringing everyone else down, you address it with them before the locker room is lost. Before you have to sell the farm to get rid of him. Even if Jared lost the locker room, I have a hard time believing he was a cancer like other players we've seen in the league. It wouldn't be a hard fix if Mcvay handled it right instead of throwing him under the bus and backing up over him. It's still unbelievable to me and people refuse to criticize Mcvay for anything he does wrong.