Stafford traded to Rams

Louis Friend

1 minute ago, Nnivolcm said:

You're ignoring Stafford publicly not supporting Patricia during the season when reporters asked if Patricia should be fired or not. I haven't seen any reports of what Slay was saying in the locker room, but if you treat people like garbage they're probably going to talk about how you're treating them like garbage. 

Slay dedicated the prime of his career to the same losing franchise Stafford did. CBs typically don't have as long of careers as franchise QBs. Once again their situations are nearly the same. You just flipped on Patricia between the two events. 

There is a big difference between not going to bat for a bad coach and deliberately trying to have the lockerroom turn on a coach. These situations are not nearly alike, despite both including a very toxic Patricia. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Louis Friend said:

There is a big difference between not going to bat for a bad coach and deliberately trying to have the lockerroom turn on a coach. These situations are not nearly alike, despite both including a very toxic Patricia. 

Outside of hinting displeasure on twitter, can anyone show me a report of how Slay was so cancerous in the locker room? All I've seen is conjecture from people who were Patricia fan boys. 

Edit: I agree there is a big difference between the two. One essentially put the nail in the coffin for the coach and the other any JV level coach should have been able to handle and move on from. 

Edited by Nnivolcm

52 minutes ago, flyguy1609 said:

If this is true, then Holmes almost certainly knows who called, at least up until last week.

Edit: and by the way he knows who called and said "we really like Goff and we want him, but we don't like that contract." The Rams couldn't have traded him and ate any money because they're way over as it is. But the Lions can.

Edited by Superduperman
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, Nnivolcm said:

Outside of hinting displeasure on twitter, can anyone show me a report of how Slay was so cancerous in the locker room? All I've seen is conjecture from people who were Patricia fan boys. 

A Lions source informed the Free Press that he considered Slay "a major cancer" throughout the 2019 season.

According to the Free Press report, Slay would attend meetings and not pay any attention. Then, he would proceed to go into the locker room and tell other players "how the coaches are full of s**t."

Diggs expressed he and many players on the team were simply fed up.

Players were talking about boycotting meetings, and many simply decided to have fun in the locker room by blasting music and not taking things as seriously. 

Slay provided more insights into how mad he actually was when Diggs was traded without his knowledge. 

Slay came in to the practice facility, and basically did not talk to many of the coaches. 

Former Detroit defensive coordinator Paul Pasqualoni approached Slay, and discussed with the disgruntled cornerback how important it was for him to display a positive attitude while at practice. 

But, Slay was not having it. 

He indicated for the next two weeks that he did not speak to Pasqualoni, and he expressed that as long as he did his job, he would continue to be distant.

Lions' Darius Slay lashes out

Slay, 28, a two-time Pro Bowler and one of the team's best defensive players, said he didn't have any conversations with coach Matt Patricia or general manager Bob Quinn before or after Diggs was traded. 

"I ain’t talking to neither one of them about that," Slay said. "That’s their problem. I’m working. That’s all I do. I work. It’s not no kind of relationship or nothing like that, just, I’m here. I work here. It’s my job. I got to do my job."

This offseason, Slay staged a mini holdout, skipping both the voluntary portions of the offseason program, as well as mandatory minicamp, trying to convince the team to renegotiate his deal. That didn't come to fruition and he reported to training camp with the rest of his teammates. He remains under contract through the 2020 season. 

With the NFL trade deadline approaching next week, Slay acknowledged there's a possibility even he could be traded. When asked if he preferred to stay in Detroit, he was surprisingly non-committal. 

"I’m saying I’m here to play ball," Slay said. "Like I said, it don’t matter if I’m here or not. That’s what I want to do, I just want to play ball."

• Like 1

From the reports that I've read, the Lions had 6-8 offers on the table, all within approximate value and let Stafford (and really, Kelly will have had a huge say) pick his destination. So, I do think that this is a good offer (and better in ways than a lot of pundits thought he could go for) but I don't think it was the best offer that they could have gotten. If Goff can play at a high level and they can rework some of that money, then maybe it works out. Ideally though, moving Goff for a 2021 1st+ would be a far better move and would REALLY be the best deal that they could have gotten. 

None of Indianapolis, Washington, San Francisco would be able to give 3 1st's or have the assets to turn this deal into 3 1st's and a 3rd +. If Holmes swings Goff for another 1st, then I'm thrilled. If Goff plays at a Pro Bowl level, I'm thrilled. 

2 minutes ago, Louis Friend said:

Patricia is gone. Slay got paid by the Eagles. 

Let's all just move on and cheer on a new era of Lions football. For the first time in a long time, the ship seems to be heading on the right course from top to bottom. No guarantee that we'll get there but it feels like we do have the pieces to make a good run at it. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Karnage84 said:

Patricia is gone. Slay got paid by the Eagles. 

Let's all just move on and cheer on a new era of Lions football. For the first time in a long time, the ship seems to be heading on the right course from top to bottom. No guarantee that we'll get there but it feels like we do have the pieces to make a good run at it. 

Also @Louis Friend, not blaming you as I get why you posted it. 

Just saying... as a collective... let's move forward and focus on the future instead of dwelling in the past of outright failures. 

10 minutes ago, Louis Friend said:

Hard to put a lot of faith in some of those un named sources, but the stuff Slay said he did is pretty minor and a JV coach should have been able to navigate the issues. 

Is holding out and missing mini camps cancerous? I never remember anyone thinking Barry Sanders was a cancer when he did it multiple times. 

1 minute ago, Nnivolcm said:

Hard to put a lot of faith in some of those un named sources, but the stuff Slay said he did is pretty minor and a JV coach should have been able to navigate the issues. 

Is holding out and missing mini camps cancerous? I never remember anyone thinking Barry Sanders was a cancer when he did it multiple times. 

You asked for a report of Slay being a cancer, I showed you the reports that stated he was trying to turn the lockerroom against the coaching staff. He was disgruntled on multiple fronts (changing the culture, trading Diggs, a comment from a year earlier, etc) and he expressed that by undermining the coaching staff, rebelling by refusing to talk to coaches, trying to get teammates to boycott meetings, acting childish, etc. 

Is Patricia toxic? Absolutely. Is he gone now? Yes. Was Slay unprofessional and a distraction? Yes. Is he gone now? Yes. 

You brought this back up and still refuse to see whats right there. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Millenhater said:

I’ve seen this guy play a little bit and right now he’s the best of the bunch for sure.  I can’t tell if he has great arm strength or not.  After a year of Goff we are going to want it for sure.  

Honestly I’m good with Lance at 7.  He has his issues but with Goff I think he is set up to be really successful. 

His touch is amazing IMO. And he can move around which is necessary in this league 

The report from Peter King is that the Lions received these 1st round offers for Stafford:

• Carolina: 8th Overall (1400 points) + Late round pick (assuming they could bump that up to 2021 3rd (225 points)) = 1,625 points (just over the 6th overall pick in value)
  • Denver: 9th overall (1350 points) + 2021 3rd (235 points) = 1,585 points (just under 6th overall pick in value)
  • Washington: 19th Overall (875 points) + 2021 3rd (180 points) = 1,055 points (just over the 16th overall pick in value)

If we compare this to what we received from LA

• 2021 3rd (150 points) + 2022 1st ( at #25 = 720 points) + 2023 1st (at #25 = 720 points) = 1590 points max. (Just under 6th overall pick in value) + Goff

General draft philosophy is that future picks are less valuable than current picks. It all does depend on the GM but if we take that approach, it pans out like this:

2021 3rd (150 points) + 2022 1st ( at #25 = 330 points) + 2023 1st (at #25 = 330 points) = 810 points (around 21st overall) + Goff

The difference between the Carolina offer is 815 points (basically 21st overall). Either the Lions view Goff as a 5th round pick in value (35 points, difference between Carolina and LA's offers) or they view him like he's worth the 21st pick. 

Carolina and Washington were better overall deals but the Lions wanted to maintain a positive relationship with Stafford and made the trade for his destination of choice in a fair deal for Detroit. It wasn't the best one. 

Initial reaction is that the Lions took the worse deal by turning down Carolina, and it would be awesome of have #7 and #8. They accommodated Stafford at their own expense.

Looking at it more closely, I can understand taking the Rams' deal. First round picks in future years, as the team starts to take shape, as college football and the scouting/combine process come back to normal, will be valuable. I bet in 2023 we'll be happy we have that extra 1st rounder.

Also I can see the Lions betting - maybe just a little? - that Stafford isn't all that with the Rams and either displays his typical inconsistency or has injuries. Those picks might be higher than 25.

And then of course we also got a starting QB back. Maybe not a star, but someone I trust to keep the Lions out of the complete basement.

Edited by Superduperman