Stafford traded to Rams

Louis Friend

1 minute ago, Karnage84 said:

Kenny is probably the perfect WR (although could have been better with a bit more separation) for Stafford and the vertical attack. I'm not a super technical guy so maybe I'm off here but I don't think of Kenny as this incredible route runner. Great hands and great body control but I'm not sure he's "Mr. Footwork". Josh Reynolds is a guy that has been floated around as a potential target in FA (even pre-Stafford/Goff trade). Thoughts on pairing him back up again with Goff in Detroit?

I’m personally a big fan of Kenny, so seeing what Goff could do with him is exciting to me, but I do understand your concerns here. I will also point out that my perception of what’s best for him is based on what he has had, and the Rams have mostly centered around those route runners/sure handed guys.

I will also say, I don’t think Goff needs his guys to have a TON of separation, he can hit small windows, and I do think he can adjust to that style, especially because he is so good at those jump balls, and he does have great hands. I think Goff is best when he trusts what his guys can do and will adjust to that, hence being good with all different types (Sammy, Woods, Kupp, Cooks)

I am personally not a huge Josh Reynolds fan, I think he leaves a lot to be desired. He has shown brief flashes, but when pushed to an expanded role, he didn’t come through, and just seems to disappear into games. I wouldn’t call him one of “Goffs guys” and while he looks like he should be able to get deep or win jump balls, he just doesn’t.

8 minutes ago, Karnage84 said:

This is an awesome breakdown. Thanks a ton for all of the insight. Looking forward to seeing you get involved in our discussions around here. More information is always better to have. 

I'm a value kind of guy. If I'm going to spend money on something, I want to feel like I'm getting good value. It makes me question whether KG is a $16M - $18M/year type of WR, especially in a Goff-led offense. Kenny is probably the perfect WR (although could have been better with a bit more separation) for Stafford and the vertical attack. I'm not a super technical guy so maybe I'm off here but I don't think of Kenny as this incredible route runner. Great hands and great body control but I'm not sure he's "Mr. Footwork". Josh Reynolds is a guy that has been floated around as a potential target in FA (even pre-Stafford/Goff trade). Thoughts on pairing him back up again with Goff in Detroit?

No. Goff doesn't trust Reynolds, and neither do I. He gives pathetic effort far too often, doesn't fight for the ball when it's in the air (despite being 6'3"), and is far too inconsistent from snap to snap. Rams fans wanted him gone by the end of the year. He's basically a short to intermediate YAC WR. 

1 minute ago, jrry32 said:

No. Goff doesn't trust Reynolds, and neither do I. He gives pathetic effort far too often, doesn't fight for the ball when it's in the air (despite being 6'3"), and is far too inconsistent from snap to snap. Rams fans wanted him gone by the end of the year. He's basically a short to intermediate YAC WR. 

Interesting. Thanks fellas. He is a name that has been trending in this section of the forum as a potential target and it's nice to get more of an insider view on him. 

1 minute ago, StLunatic88 said:

I’m personally a big fan of Kenny, so seeing what Goff could do with him is exciting to me, but I do understand your concerns here. I will also point out that my perception of what’s best for him is based on what he has had, and the Rams have mostly centered around those route runners/sure handed guys.

I will also say, I don’t think Goff needs his guys to have a TON of separation, he can hit small windows, and I do think he can adjust to that style, especially because he is so good at those jump balls, and he does have great hands. I think Goff is best when he trusts what his guys can do and will adjust to that, hence being good with all different types (Sammy, Woods, Kupp, Cooks)

I am personally not a huge Josh Reynolds fan, I think he leaves a lot to be desired. He has shown brief flashes, but when pushed to an expanded role, he didn’t come through, and just seems to disappear into games. I wouldn’t call him one of “Goffs guys” and while he looks like he should be able to get deep or win jump balls, he just doesn’t.

That's fair re: KG. He seems like he wants to be back in Detroit and the Lions seem to want him back, so it will be interesting to see what happens there. 

2 minutes ago, Superduperman said:

Sadly, he won't have Golladay here either, I am feeling very skeptical we'll keep hm

I don't know if it makes a ton of sense to re-sign him but MCDC and KG himself seem to want him to be here. That will certainly depend on the money, so we'll see what happens there. 

4 minutes ago, Karnage84 said:

Interesting. Thanks fellas. He is a name that has been trending in this section of the forum as a potential target and it's nice to get more of an insider view on him. 

I understand it. On paper, he looks intriguing. I wish I could say he's as good as he seems on paper. Just a frustrating player. Has all the talent, but he lacks that killer instinct that the great WRs have with the ball in the air. He's passive.

17 minutes ago, Karnage84 said:

@jrry32 and @StLunatic88 : As former outsiders/new Lions fans, what are your thoughts on Dan Campbell and the coaching staff?

He has put together a staff with a lot of former NFL players, and he's obviously a former NFL player himself. He seems like a Parcells/Payton guy. I thought he did an impressive job of holding things together in Miami after they fired Philbin. That team seemed to have quit on Philbin, but they played for Campbell. He strikes me as a Mike Vrabel type. He's not an amazing X's and O's guy, but guys respect him and will play hard for him. Because of that, his coordinators matter a lot.

Looking at y'all's coordinators, I have a lot of respect for Anthony Lynn. He's one of the best in the business at developing and scheming effective rushing attacks. He can be a tad predictable with his play-calling and be too conservative at times, but he can really run the ball and isn't a bum when it comes to passing games either. Aaron Glenn is widely respected, but I can't evaluate him as a DC because he hasn't been one yet.

Looking at some other coaches, I think Aubrey Pleasant is one of the best CB Coaches in the NFL (if not the best). Offensive line coach is obviously an extremely important position. I don't know if the Lions have hired anybody there yet. I know Mark Brunell. He doesn't have NFL coaching experience, but he did an impressive job in high school football, played for a very long time, knows the game well, and is a great guy. Duce Staley is obviously a major addition and another former player who is well respected around the NFL.

Edited by jrry32
  • Like 2

14 minutes ago, Karnage84 said:

@jrry32 and @StLunatic88 : As former outsiders/new Lions fans, what are your thoughts on Dan Campbell and the coaching staff?

Ill admit that I was a bit surprised in the choice at first. I mean I’d heard Campbell was getting looks, but I always thought “Really?” But now I get it. I can see why he blows you away in an interview, and hope its as good of a cultural fit as it seem it should be. As a self proclaimed “football guy” myself I love everything Ive heard from him, even the weird knee biting stuff haha.

But seriously, I think what seems to be his approach of true HC and not “Ill take one side of the ball and pass off the other side” is what you should want in a HC (very Tomlin like) and I’m encouraged by his time learning under Peyton after that very odd Miami ordeal

But most of all I LOVE his staff hires. I think he has nailed every single one. I think Duce Staley should have had a better look in Philly as the HC, so getting in there as Asst. HC is an amazing get. (Hopefully he sticks for 2 years so Lions get a comp pick when he is hired as a HC somewhere).

• Like 2

1 minute ago, jrry32 said:

He has put together a staff with a lot of former NFL players, and he's obviously a former NFL player himself. He seems like a Parcells/Payton guy. I thought he did an impressive job of holding things together in Miami after they fired Philbin. That team seemed to have quit on Philbin, but they played for Campbell. He strikes me as a Mike Vrabel type. He's not an amazing X's and O's guy, but guys respect him and will play hard for him. Because of that, his coordinators matter a lot.

Looking at y'all's coordinators, I have a lot of respect for Anthony Lynn. He's one of the best in the business at developing and scheming effective rushing attacks. He can be a tad predictable with his play-calling and be too conservative at times, but he can really run the ball and isn't a bum when it comes to passing games either. Aaron Glenn is widely respected, but I can't evaluate him as a DC because he hasn't been one yet.

Looking at some other coaches, I think Aubrey Pleasant is one of the best CB Coaches in the NFL (if not the best). Offensive line coach is obviously an extremely important position. I don't know if the Lions have hired anybody there yet. I know Mark Brunell. He doesn't have NFL experience, but he did an impressive job in high school football, played for a very long time, knows the game well, and is a great guy. Duce Staley is obviously a major addition and another former player who is well respected around the NFL.

Campbell: He is of the Parcells tree but obviously has spent a lot of time and learned under Payton. He might be more of an X's and O's guy than given credit for but he's never been in a position to show it. So we can only assume that he probably isn't. He's definitely that rah rah, rally guy. Which can work since you don't really want/shouldn't want your HC too involved in one side of the ball. Campbell is going to be the CEO type. 

Lynn: Not as familiar with him but for 20+ years the Lions have struggled to run the ball. It'll be nice to finally have a team where we aren't so one dimensional and winning games exclusively off of Staffords arm. 

Glenn: He's brought in Dom Capers to lend him a hand. While he hasn't been a DC, having a second set of eyes and someone that is familiar with the division can only help. 

OL Coach/Haley: Haley did a tremendous job in making our OL into a near dominant unit. He was a guy that we all wanted to see back in Detroit and he did return after making a few other interviews. 

• Like 1