Stafford traded to Rams

Louis Friend

1 hour ago, Karnage84 said:

@jrry32 I am watching 2020-2021 Goff highlights. What percentage of the success of these plays do you give to Goff? McVay's scheme? The talent of guys like Woods, Kupp, V. Jefferson?

Should the Lions be looking to add WR's in the mold of Wodds/Kupp/Jefferson?

I don't know, frankly. It's hard to assign percentage of success. Ideally, they're all working together (scheme, QB, and supporting cast). I think 2020 was Goff's worst season of his career. I think it's smart to have a Kupp-type WR in your lineup (a reliable route runner who can gain quick separation and will consistently catch the ball). Beyond that, I don't think Goff is restricted to those types of WRs. It was more that they fit McVay's scheme.

The thing about Goff is that he's a bit like Tom Brady when it comes to trusting his WRs. If he doesn't trust you to run your routes correctly and catch the ball, he will often pass you up unless he's very confident in the route and throw. If he does trust you, he'll give you a chance on tight window and anticipation/timing throws.

Some might look at Goff's numbers and wonder why I am saying 2020 was his worst year. I am saying that because in 2019, the Rams had a mediocre defense, a bad OL, and a terrible running game. Yet, we finished #11 in PPG and #7 in YPG on the backs of the passing game. Goff's numbers won't show it because of McVay's situational play-calling, though. He should have had 30+ TDs that year. Our god awful rushing attack (literally was among the worst in the NFL in YPG and YPC) somehow managed to be one of the best in the NFL in rushing TDs (because McVay likes to run the ball at the goal line).

In 2020, Goff had a good OL with Whitworth and a serviceable one without him. He also had a top defense and a solid to great running game (was somewhat inconsistent over the year). He should have played better. But he's a young QB, and young pocket passers (in particular) have years like that.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, jrry32 said:

I don't know, frankly. It's hard to assign percentage of success. Ideally, they're all working together (scheme, QB, and supporting cast). I think 2020 was Goff's worst season of his career. I think it's smart to have a Kupp-type WR in your lineup (a reliable route runner who can gain quick separation and will consistently catch the ball). Beyond that, I don't think Goff is restricted to those types of WRs. It was more that they fit McVay's scheme.

The thing about Goff is that he's a bit like Tom Brady when it comes to trusting his WRs. If he doesn't trust you to run your routes correctly and catch the ball, he will often pass you up unless he's very confident in the route and throw. If he does trust you, he'll give you a chance on tight window and anticipation/timing throws.

Some might look at Goff's numbers and wonder why I am saying 2020 was his worst year. I am saying that because in 2019, the Rams had a mediocre defense, a bad OL, and a terrible running game. Yet, we finished #11 in PPG and #7 in YPG on the backs of the passing game. Goff's numbers won't show it because of McVay's situational play-calling, though. He should have had 30+ TDs that year. Our god awful rushing attack (literally was among the worst in the NFL in YPG and YPC) somehow managed to be one of the best in the NFL in rushing TDs (because McVay likes to run the ball at the goal line).

In 2020, Goff had a good OL with Whitworth and a serviceable one without him. He also had a top defense and a solid to great running game (was somewhat inconsistent over the year). He should have played better. But he's a young QB, and young pocket passers (in particular) have years like that.

What kind of offense do you think he's best suited for? The video that I had watched seemed to rely a lot on screens and YAC from Woods, Kupp and co. He did have a few deep shots but it seemed like a lot of short to intermediate throws. Which is fine if that's your game. Brady has a number of rings playing that game. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Karnage84 said:

What kind of offense do you think he's best suited for? The video that I had watched seemed to rely a lot on screens and YAC from Woods, Kupp and co. He did have a few deep shots but it seemed like a lot of short to intermediate throws. Which is fine if that's your game. Brady has a number of rings playing that game. 

Anthony Lynn runs an offense that suits him well. He's a great ball-handler on play-action passes. Sells the fakes extremely well. So an offense that runs the ball and understands how play action off of that is definitely a plus. Goff is a phenomenal intermediate thrower. So emphasizing that is important too. He can run the dink and dunk passing game, but he's much more comfortable in an offense that goes for chunk plays. I'd treat him like Philip Rivers. Rivers was a better deep thrower (he was HOF caliber in that category), while Goff is truly great in the intermediate range. His timing, zip, and ball placement are all top notch there.

• Like 2

12 hours ago, jrry32 said:

Anthony Lynn runs an offense that suits him well. He's a great ball-handler on play-action passes. Sells the fakes extremely well. So an offense that runs the ball and understands how play action off of that is definitely a plus. Goff is a phenomenal intermediate thrower. So emphasizing that is important too. He can run the dink and dunk passing game, but he's much more comfortable in an offense that goes for chunk plays. I'd treat him like Philip Rivers. Rivers was a better deep thrower (he was HOF caliber in that category), while Goff is truly great in the intermediate range. His timing, zip, and ball placement are all top notch there.

When you look at what we have at RB, what are your thoughts on guys like Swift and Kerryon? Who would you compare them to in the Chargers/Rams schemes? Given Goff's success with Todd Gurley in the backfield, do you feel that we should add in another guy to play the TG role?

One thing that Campbell has said, which I think can be good/bad, is that we are going to cater scheme to what our players do best. The good is that you're willing to adapt and try to put guys in the position where they can be most successful. If he has watched tape of Goff at his best, I have to imagine they wouldn't be afraid to pair him up with a strong runner. 

• Like 1

When you look at what we have at RB, what are your thoughts on guys like Swift and Kerryon? Who would you compare them to in the Chargers/Rams schemes? Given Goff's success with Todd Gurley in the backfield, do you feel that we should add in another guy to play the TG role?

One thing that Campbell has said, which I think can be good/bad, is that we are going to cater scheme to what our players do best. The good is that you're willing to adapt and try to put guys in the position where they can be most successful. If he has watched tape of Goff at his best, I have to imagine they wouldn't be afraid to pair him up with a strong runner. 

Gurley only signed a 1 year deal with Atlanta, he’ll be a free agent... 

Swift and Kerryon should be fine. Todd Gurley during Goff's time was a special player. I think it would be nearly impossible to find another guy who offers that skillset (and is available).