Stafford traded to Rams

Louis Friend

42 minutes ago, NFL_Fan said:

probably because stafford would throw it as hard as he could...and jahvid best was like 2 yards away...lmao...seen that or any RB like aa million times it felt like...like stafford had one speed....fast as he could....thats one reason i thought he was trash...cool bro you have a bazooka for an arm...now develop a brain...no need to throw a bullet on a screen...or any dumpoff for that matter lmaoooooo. 

Yep. 350 dropped screen passes. Silly Stafford.

• Like 1

On an interesting note, the Seahawks are reportedly considering trading Russell Wilson. If we look at things, we could have the following guys available/on the move:

- Carson Wentz (likely)

- Russell Wilson (vague rumour)

- Deshaun Watson (likely)

- Aaron Rodgers (vague rumour)

- Tua (vague rumour)

- Sam Darnold (rumour to likely)

- Kirk Cousins (vaugue rumour)

- Jimmy G (vague rumour)

- Dak Prescott (FA - vague rumour)

- Derek Carr (vague rumour, Raiders say not trading)

There's at least three guys who will be probably be on another team in 2021: Wentz, Watson, Darnold. Surprise moves could be had by Rodgers, Wilson, Prescott. 

If you look at what the Lions did in the timing of the trade, they did a tremendous job in getting value. They made the trade when there wasn't a lot of available talent and then maximized what they got back in return. Watson might be the only guy that could net back more than what Stafford got. Otherwise, the addition of all of these other guys into the mix is going to decrease the compensation for the teams currently holding these guys. 

If you're the Packers and you do want to move on from Aaron for whatever reason, you're going to have to accept a deal worth market value or even a bit under because Russ is a guy that could be available at a bit of a lower price (assuming he's asking to be traded/declared he wants out). Or vice versa. Teams will overpay when there isn't a lot of options and they get desperate. 

Hats off again to the Lions new FO. 

* I do hold a different view on future picks but timing, COVID, etc. does play a role in assessing value for this year

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

After seeing the Carson Wentz trade, I feel a lot better about the return we got for Stafford.  Now I get a lot of people feel Stafford is better than Wentz, and I strongly agree, but we got significantly more for him than the Eagles got for Wentz.  I get Wentz had a bad year, but he was part of the team that got them to the SB.  He did throw for 4k and 27/7 TD to Int the year before this and got dumped for pennies.  Those numbers are close to some of Staffords best years and his bad year this year was not far off from some of Staffords bad years.   I am truly grateful we moved him quick and when we did or the market may have been set by others and we got something slightly better than what the Eagles got. 

• Like 4

This is interesting. It's the first I heard of it (some Rams fans were discussing it in our forum). Schrager talks on the Bill Simmons podcast about the trade (starts at 1:44):

The summary basically is that the Rams FO didn't want to trade Goff. They liked him. McVay is the one who pushed the Stafford deal, and Brad Holmes is apparently a big fan of Goff's. It'll be interesting if they make it work in Detroit. It would be nice for the Lions if Goff ends up being the franchise QB. Would give the squad more picks to spend on bettering the team over the next three years.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, jrry32 said:

This is interesting. It's the first I heard of it (some Rams fans were discussing it in our forum). Schrager talks on the Bill Simmons podcast about the trade (starts at 1:44):

The summary basically is that the Rams FO didn't want to trade Goff. They liked him. McVay is the one who pushed the Stafford deal, and Brad Holmes is apparently a big fan of Goff's. It'll be interesting if they make it work in Detroit. It would be nice for the Lions if Goff ends up being the franchise QB. Would give the squad more picks to spend on bettering the team over the next three years.

Did I get the right impression from all you Rams fans, that McVay dialed down his playcalling in 2020 and that was at least part of the reason the Rams weren't as successful on offense? I know, no one knows the whole story behind closed doors, but if Goff had a coach pulling the rug out on him, maybe he doesn't deserve as much criticism.

I also wonder if maybe the league didn't figure McVay out a little bit. First couple of seasons, he's a young guy, people didn't know what to expect from him, but now maybe they know what he does a little better.

I'm just so glad this trade happened on so many levels, it creates a handful of really good stories to watch, unlike the typical boring old Lions crap of "let's see if Stafford can get it together, probably not" of the last decade.

Edit: Again, who knows how this will work out. But I look for red flags. I look for them in what the Lions do, and I look back to see where I may have missed them when the Lions fail. As a Lions fan, I'm pretty experienced in knowing what red flags look like. To me, the fact that the Rams made this move in part because McVay and Stafford are connected socially, that's a big red flag. That suggests to me that the move is less about football and more about being buddies. If I were a Rams fan, that would worry me.

Edited by Superduperman
  • Like 1

On 2/19/2021 at 9:33 AM, Sllim Pickens said:

After seeing the Carson Wentz trade, I feel a lot better about the return we got for Stafford.  Now I get a lot of people feel Stafford is better than Wentz, and I strongly agree, but we got significantly more for him than the Eagles got for Wentz.  I get Wentz had a bad year, but he was part of the team that got them to the SB.  He did throw for 4k and 27/7 TD to Int the year before this and got dumped for pennies.  Those numbers are close to some of Staffords best years and his bad year this year was not far off from some of Staffords bad years.   I am truly grateful we moved him quick and when we did or the market may have been set by others and we got something slightly better than what the Eagles got. 

I think Goff has more value than Wentz. We got 2 first rounders and a better QB. Wentz has that weird elbow loadup. I can't stand watching him throw.

At any rate, I think Wentz' going rate is right about what Goff's would be in a vacuum. That gives me the idea that Stafford basically went for 2 late 1sts, a conditional 2nd (1st) and a 3rd.

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, nagahide13 said:

I think Goff has more value than Wentz. We got 2 first rounders and a better QB. Wentz has that weird elbow loadup. I can't stand watching him throw.

At any rate, I think Wentz' going rate is right about what Goff's would be in a vacuum. That gives me the idea that Stafford basically went for 2 late 1sts, a conditional 2nd (1st) and a 3rd.

I have always felt the same way.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, nagahide13 said:

I agree that Goff and Wentz are similar value, I am just shocked Wentz went for that much less value than Stafford after one bad year.  I believe Stafford is better, but he is significantly older and has some injury history himself and without that I am not sure he is 2 1st round picks better than Wentz.  

22 hours ago, Superduperman said:

Did I get the right impression from all you Rams fans, that McVay dialed down his playcalling in 2020 and that was at least part of the reason the Rams weren't as successful on offense? I know, no one knows the whole story behind closed doors, but if Goff had a coach pulling the rug out on him, maybe he doesn't deserve as much criticism.

Goff was definitely the scapegoat for all of the issues. It's unclear how much of the blame he should have given to him (there is definitely some), but he got thrown under the bus for everything. One thing I always thought was that Mcvay keeping him on the headset until it shuts off at 15 seconds left him very little time to relay it to the team, break the huddle, and get to the line to assess the defense for himself. I honestly believe Goff is at the point of his career where he wanted more control of the offense (which a lot of QB do) and Mcvay refused to give it up.

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, Sllim Pickens said:

I agree that Goff and Wentz are similar value, I am just shocked Wentz went for that much less value than Stafford after one bad year.  I believe Stafford is better, but he is significantly older and has some injury history himself and without that I am not sure he is 2 1st round picks better than Wentz.  

I think the conditional pick in 2022 makes it a pretty fair trade. It should be pretty easy for Wentz and the Colts to meet the conditions making it a 1st round pick. 

43 minutes ago, Nnivolcm said:

I think the conditional pick in 2022 makes it a pretty fair trade. It should be pretty easy for Wentz and the Colts to meet the conditions making it a 1st round pick. 

Colts could also manipulate things to ensure they don't pay that out too. Will be interesting to see how it shakes out. 

12 minutes ago, Nnivolcm said:

So if we flip Goff for similar, a 3rd and late 1st, do you think Stafford is worth three late firsts and two 3rds?  Do you think he is 2 first and a 3rd better than Goff and Wentz value? My point is Stafford hasn't won here.  A lot of that is on the team and coaching but he also has disappeared at times.  Similar to Wentz and Goff except they have both won, and had great numbers while winning.  So it just blows my mind that these young QBs with similar pedigree as top first round picks, are being dumped for nothing while Stafford gets multiple 1sts.  Stafford blew up in 2010, then had a pedestrian 2011 with 20/17 TD to INT ratio and under a 60% completion percentage.  Stafford was pretty much these guys at that point in his career.  But we waited until he got old and somehow increased his value.  

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Karnage84 said:

Colts could also manipulate things to ensure they don't pay that out too. Will be interesting to see how it shakes out. 

I think there is a high likelihood the Colts will be playing meaningful games all season. If Wentz is healthy I doubt they bench him when there's still things like the division, bye weeks, etc on the line.  

10 hours ago, Sllim Pickens said:

So if we flip Goff for similar, a 3rd and late 1st, do you think Stafford is worth three late firsts and two 3rds?  Do you think he is 2 first and a 3rd better than Goff and Wentz value? My point is Stafford hasn't won here.  A lot of that is on the team and coaching but he also has disappeared at times.  Similar to Wentz and Goff except they have both won, and had great numbers while winning.  So it just blows my mind that these young QBs with similar pedigree as top first round picks, are being dumped for nothing while Stafford gets multiple 1sts.  Stafford blew up in 2010, then had a pedestrian 2011 with 20/17 TD to INT ratio and under a 60% completion percentage.  Stafford was pretty much these guys at that point in his career.  But we waited until he got old and somehow increased his value.  

That's what made me so angry as a Rams fan. Pocket passers take longer to develop. There's volatility early in their careers. It's not until they're in the 27 to 30 year old window that you see them become consistent performers. Prior to that, you might get a season or two of great play followed by a season or two of mediocre to poor play. It just happens. I wanted the Rams to wait another year to see what Goff could do once he was in that window. But I don't get to call the shots. I am hopeful that he makes that jump for the Lions. I think y'all deserve it, and I think Goff deserves it.

• Like 2