Stafford traded to Rams

Louis Friend

18 hours ago, jrry32 said:

That's what made me so angry as a Rams fan. Pocket passers take longer to develop. There's volatility early in their careers. It's not until they're in the 27 to 30 year old window that you see them become consistent performers. Prior to that, you might get a season or two of great play followed by a season or two of mediocre to poor play. It just happens. I wanted the Rams to wait another year to see what Goff could do once he was in that window. But I don't get to call the shots. I am hopeful that he makes that jump for the Lions. I think y'all deserve it, and I think Goff deserves it.

According to Kurt Warner, we already know what Goff is. And if Warner knows, then McVay should know. He sees Goff every day. My bet is that McVay is exasperated with Goff not making any progress in his development. And its not just the 27 year old thing. Goff has been starting for 5 years. And he looked worse this year with a good, not great OL, and a great Defense to cover for him. He was clearly the weak link.

2 hours ago, max said:

According to Kurt Warner, we already know what Goff is. And if Warner knows, then McVay should know. He sees Goff every day. My bet is that McVay is exasperated with Goff not making any progress in his development. And its not just the 27 year old thing. Goff has been starting for 5 years. And he looked worse this year with a good, not great OL, and a great Defense to cover for him. He was clearly the weak link.

Kurt Warner is entitled to his opinion, but it's quite odd for him to claim that he already knows what Goff is. Kurt couldn't even make a NFL team until he was 27 years old. Goff is 26 years old now. I've already laid out the facts about pocket passers. Anybody claiming that Goff can't progress after five years starting and after age 26 simply hasn't paid attention.

In fact, let's talk about Matthew Stafford. If you look at Stafford's career before he turned 27 years old, he had a great year at 23 years old. He threw for 5000+ yards, 40+ TDs, and posted a 97.2 passer rating. What did he do in his age-24, 25, and 26 seasons? I'll give you a hint, it wasn't good:

Stafford-1.png

What happened after Stafford turned 27 years old?

Stafford-2.png

Imagine if somebody tried to tell you that they knew what Stafford was at 26 years old. Let's just say that there are good odds they would have been wrong.

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...
2 hours ago, flyguy1609 said:

just seen. so weird. just the whole picture. from the beginning. 2008 was the first season I watched a few games. Then 2009 came. So in a way. I really was against Stafford. but in a way. He was the first QB to get me into football. 

On 2/23/2021 at 6:51 PM, jrry32 said:

Kurt Warner is entitled to his opinion, but it's quite odd for him to claim that he already knows what Goff is. Kurt couldn't even make a NFL team until he was 27 years old. Goff is 26 years old now. I've already laid out the facts about pocket passers. Anybody claiming that Goff can't progress after five years starting and after age 26 simply hasn't paid attention.

In fact, let's talk about Matthew Stafford. If you look at Stafford's career before he turned 27 years old, he had a great year at 23 years old. He threw for 5000+ yards, 40+ TDs, and posted a 97.2 passer rating. What did he do in his age-24, 25, and 26 seasons? I'll give you a hint, it wasn't good:

Stafford-1.png

What happened after Stafford turned 27 years old?

Stafford-2.png

Imagine if somebody tried to tell you that they knew what Stafford was at 26 years old. Let's just say that there are good odds they would have been wrong.

I certainly understand your point however the circumstances facing each player are different. Simply using stats has never provided a complete picture of player ability.

7 hours ago, Superduperman said:

The Rams paid an additional $2.5m bonus to Goff on the first day of the league year, before the trade became official. Now that money goes on their cap, not the Lions. Just another little cherry on the sundae 😘👌

It's almost like Holmes was on a game show and they're letting him leave with the "Family Feud - Home Edition". 

13 hours ago, diehardlionfan said:

I certainly understand your point however the circumstances facing each player are different. Simply using stats has never provided a complete picture of player ability.

Nor should it. But there's a strong trend when it comes to pocket passing QBs in the modern NFL. They are volatile from year to year early in their careers, but between the ages of 27 and 30, they generally make a leap and become consistent players from year to year. The key is that the QB put together at least a couple good seasons before he turns 27. If that happens, odds are he'll be a good one.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, jrry32 said:

Nor should it. But there's a strong trend when it comes to pocket passing QBs in the modern NFL. They are volatile from year to year early in their careers, but between the ages of 27 and 30, they generally make a leap and become consistent players from year to year. The key is that the QB put together at least a couple good seasons before he turns 27. If that happens, odds are he'll be a good one.

In Staffords case allot of credit is due Caldwell and Cooter who seemed to help his development. Caldwell becoming head coach for the 2014 season and Cooter taking over as OC mid season in 2015.

I think Goff will be just fine in Detroit provided they add complimentary pieces to the offence and gear play towards his strengths.

• Like 2

• 2 months later...
On 5/20/2021 at 4:33 AM, LionArkie said:

Without even reading it, I already know what it'll say. All Stafford interviews are the same.

He talks about the strength of his wife, his respect for Detroit and his teammates, they'll bring up Clayton Kershaw. 

• Like 2