Stafford traded to Rams

Louis Friend

2 minutes ago, TL-TwoWinsAway said:

Unpopular opinion, but I'd rather have a current 3rd and two future 1sts than pick 21 in this draft and a future (or even current) 3rd.

A current 1st would allow more flexibility. Trade down, trade up or draft a player at that spot. If the Rams are in the playoffs or even SB those picks will be in the 20's or 30's. Every year teams trade up to draft someone who has "fallen in the draft". 

1 minute ago, flyguy1609 said:

Wonder what the core guys was Denver offered

Which goes to my point (at least partially), the Lions took less of but still a very good haul to send Matthew to his team of choice. It does work out for both teams and creates a clean break. 

5 minutes ago, Karnage84 said:

Which goes to my point (at least partially), the Lions took less of but still a very good haul to send Matthew to his team of choice. It does work out for both teams and creates a clean break. 

See, I'm not sure that's what that says. The Washington deal was better for the Lions this year. Had they offered a 2021 2nd round pick and nothing else, it would've been better for the Lions "this year". I don't think that "source" was confirming that the offer from Washington was better than the LA offer as a whole.

10 minutes ago, TL-TwoWinsAway said:

See, I'm not sure that's what that says. The Washington deal was better for the Lions this year. Had they offered a 2021 2nd round pick and nothing else, it would've been better for the Lions "this year". I don't think that "source" was confirming that the offer from Washington was better than the LA offer as a whole.

A 1st and 3rd this year would also be less than some configuration of 2x1sts, a 3rd and a starting QB. We might not really know what else was really on the table. 

It is a really good deal. I just put more value in current picks and would have preferred to keep our cap space open. 

58 minutes ago, TL-TwoWinsAway said:

Unpopular opinion, but I'd rather have a current 3rd and two future 1sts than pick 21 in this draft and a future (or even current) 3rd.

I agree 100%.

Holmes and company are building a team. Some will suggest current picks are of higher value which might be true to a contending team but rebuilding with two firsts in subsequent years gives them great flexibility moving forward. If Goff doesn’t work out they can move around next year and draft Rattler or someone else. 

Goff was drafted during Holmes tenure so he is very familiar with him. Five first round picks the next two years combined with the potential of additional picks for staff being hired and promoted elsewhere sets them up.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, jrry32 said:

Isn't Golladay a UFA? Thanks for the info on the OL. I like Anthony Lynn as a play-caller. He can be a little predictable, but he schemes up great rushing attacks and understands how to use PA well.

Personally I hope Golladay walks or they do a sign and trade. He’s great at contested catches which works when you have a QB that puts the ball in a favourable position. I just don’t think he’s worth the money he will get. He doesn’t get separation and he isn’t a burner.

The Lions can use the money elsewhere more effectively. Especially with the quality of receivers at the top of this draft.

1 hour ago, Karnage84 said:

I expect we could have gotten current year 1sts from teams like the Colts plus a 3rd. Indy offers a lot of the same things team wise as LA: offensive minded HC, weapons on offense, a running game and a stout defense. It just happens to be in Indiana and not California. 

I hope the rumours of flipping Goff to Indy are true and we add more picks into the mix. 

I expect that if there was a better deal on the table Holmes would’ve taken it. 

Man, lots of people are really happy. I guess I've gotta come around to the fact I'll be watching a bad team for at least two more years. This is a full blow rebuild for sure. I don't think much of Goff really. I think he's going to come over and really suck to be honest.

No WR's, no lead to play with. We'll see a lot of INT's. I was convinced Rams were gonna be like Houston and give up a 2nd/3rd round pick to dump Goff.

The other side that I've gotta look at and buy now... Is that these guys need time, and years to sort through the trash and pick good players. Goff fits that 2 year time-line of major roster turnover.

If Lions land someone like Kyle Wilson/Justin Fields and they're so good like Herbert we have to start them. Well. All's well right? Trade is going to look like a wet dream with a franchise QB installed. 

If Lions can't land a top QB, they might as well trade down and gain whatever they can. They need a lot of defense, and WR. Building the team up and then drafting/signing a franchise guy is a direction they can go now too. Similar to Washington.

Here are my initial thoughts on this trade:

1.  Why is everyone letting Sean McVay off the hook for Jared Goff's QB play?  His team hasn't been quite the same since they were out-coached by Bill Belichick in the Super Bowl.  It could very well be that just like Matt Patricia, he fell into the trap of coaching a system rather than the player.

2.   Considering that the Rams haven't had a first-round pick in quite a while, those first-rounders in 2022 and 2023 could end up being pretty valuable.

3.   Everyone keeps talking about D'Andre Swift but TJ Hockenson might be the biggest beneficiary of the new QB and coaching staff.  He was consistent this year but I wouldn't put him in the same category as Travis Kelce with respect to his ability to shred a defense.  He might finally become a dominant player.

4.  Jared Goff is 26 years old.  He has a lot of tread left on the tires.  Physically, he is just entering his prime.

5.  I would be surprised if they trade Jared Goff again but not surprised if they traded back.  Still, I think the Lions are probably listening to trade offers for Goff would be willing to move him for a solid offer from the Colts or WFT.  Odds of that happening: 40%-50%.

Edited by Just Want A Title
Spelling Error

I also was just really confident Lions could be good/playoff competitive in the 2022 season if they drafted/signed the right players. 

Still can happen, just don't believe it under a Goff lead team is all. A lot will have to go right/perfect now for them to be really good in 2 years, imo.

Let's just hope for a Watson move to rock the city and give us someone to rally behind. It's hard to even wanna root for any of these teams! Kudos to the Lions for at least trying lol.

Edited by SimbaWho

Goff isn't a good QB, but he isn't terrible either. Both Campbell and Lynn are "run game" guys, and we've got a pretty good offensive line (and young RBs). I imagine they're going to lean on the running game while building a defense, and Goff could certainly do enough to win in that structure.

Most importantly, this trade gives us draft capital. If we wanted to move up this year for who they believe might be our QBOTF, we can do that. Flexibility is key, and we've got plenty of it.