Stafford traded to Rams

Louis Friend

34 minutes ago, TL-TwoWinsAway said:

Just read that the Lions go from $33M in cap space with Stafford to $47M in cap space with Goff.

Lets hope they use some of that to keep Kenny Golladay and find LBs that can hold their own in coverage and play much better than the ones we have now.  With Dom Capers in the fold, they could make a run at Bud Dupree.

7 minutes ago, TL-TwoWinsAway said:

Loud ones. Like, the most volumes about how toxic Patricia's environment was here. Pretty insane.

This is just more evidence of what most of us already know. I'm curious though TL, Since Stafford is now the millionaire who didn't want to play for a team with Patricia employed, do you still have your same stance on Slay not wanting to play for Patricia?

• Like 1

After sleeping on it, I love this trade even more.  Let me break down my thinking.

1.) Lions will rebuild. Stafford has been through 2 GM changes and 3 HC changes. He deserved to move on and not go through another rebuild. Not only did the Lions talk with Stafford pre-trade, reportedly, they had 6-8 offers and let Stafford chose his final destination. This is GREAT. This not only benefits the Lions draft picks wise, it's great front office/player relationship etiquette that was sorely missing during the last regime. Other teams/players take notice of this type of stuff. This bodes well for future relationships with players/free agents. Also, chatting with 6-8 teams signals this regime will work with more than one team when it comes to trade talks. That is a breath of fresh air. 

2.) Lions take on Jared Goff. Brad Holmes scouted Goff, he knows EXACTLY the type of player he's getting. And Goff's contract is not horrible. 

2021 Contract details by year 27 $25,325,000 - $2,500,000 - $27,825,000 $43,325,000 $27,825,000   
2022 Contract details by year 28 $10,000,000 - $15,500,000 - $25,500,000 $15,500,000 $25,500,000  

POTENTIAL OUT: 2023, 4 YR, $110,367,682; $0 DEAD CAP

2023 Contract details by year 29 $20,000,000 - $5,000,000 - $25,000,000 - $25,000,000  
2024 Contract details by year 30 $21,000,064 - $5,000,000 - $26,000,064 - $26,000,064  
      UFA

Goff will get $27.8 million this season, but Detroit can cut him next season for $10 million in cap space or cut him in 2023 with no dead cap hit... worse case scenario. Best case scenario, Goff works out and returns to 2017/2018 Goff and we have a 27 yr old QB under contract for market value or trade him for additional draft capital. This talking point that the Rams traded extra picks to have the Lions take on Goff's horrible contract is nonsense. This also allows the Lions to take their time getting their next QB and not wasting resources trying to fill a hole this offseason. 

3.) Draft capital. Lions did not get a 1st round pick. They got TWO first round picks and a 3rd. I agree with whomever (think it was TL) that said I'd rather have two future firsts than #21. Lions now have 5 1st rd picks over the next three drafts with Dorsey/Holmes in charge of talent evaluation. I don't know of a much better situation for the Lions. Either they use all 5 picks, or move them around for additional picks/players. Either way, they added alot of value to the team.

4.) They got a deal done early. Pre-Superbowl. Get this out of the way, let Stafford and his family have peace of mind. Start focusing on the rest of the team. Now they can evaluate Golladay/Okwara and get draft plans ready. They didn't draw it out. They didn't try to squeeze every penny out. They made a smart decision, and will move onto the next. This signals that this regime knows what it wants, has a plan in place and will be decisive about building this team. 

It's rare, but this deal benefited all parties involved (even Goff who might just need a change of scenery away from McVay). Rams get an upgrade at QB, Lions get draft capital and flexibility, Stafford gets LA market and a win now team, Goff gets a fresh start. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Nnivolcm said:

This is just more evidence of what most of us already know. I'm curious though TL, Since Stafford is now the millionaire who didn't want to play for a team with Patricia employed, do you still have your same stance on Slay not wanting to play for Patricia?

So unnecessarily and uselessly arrogant. You didn't "know" this. You "knew" none of it. Some players were against the "culture", while many came out in support of it. (Slay himself said that there weren't issues after the first year.)

Stafford never quit on this team. Stafford never took plays off and spoke ill of the coaching staff behind their backs. Stafford was the same person and professional he always had been.

Not comparable, like usual. 

3 minutes ago, Nnivolcm said:

My issue with Slay was him letting the situation brew for over a year, causing locker room issues with his buddies (Diggs/Quin), and then bringing it to light to the media AFTER he and Patricia reportedly squashed it. I love Slay and support him on the Eagles, but he handled that situation very unprofessionally. 

Just now, Louis Friend said:

My issue with Slay was him letting the situation brew for over a year, causing locker room issues with his buddies (Diggs/Quin), and then bringing it to light to the media AFTER he and Patricia reportedly squashed it. I love Slay and support him on the Eagles, but he handled that situation very unprofessionally. 

He did handle it unprofessionally however the situation never should’ve materialized. Patricia was toxic. He threatened careers.

Just now, diehardlionfan said:

He did handle it unprofessionally however the situation never should’ve materialized. Patricia was toxic. He threatened careers.

I agree that Patricia was toxic, as evidenced by comments afterwards by players like A'Shawn, and Stafford refusing to go to NE, etc. However, Slay handled that entire situation incorrectly. Hopefully, he'll learn from it. 

Just now, Louis Friend said:

I agree that Patricia was toxic, as evidenced by comments afterwards by players like A'Shawn, and Stafford refusing to go to NE, etc. However, Slay handled that entire situation incorrectly. Hopefully, he'll learn from it. 

While I agree he could’ve handled it better I don’t blame him for it. It’s hard to attach blame to someone who is in a situation answerable to a man with intolerable attitudes and dogmatic behaviour. 

Just now, diehardlionfan said:

While I agree he could’ve handled it better I don’t blame him for it. It’s hard to attach blame to someone who is in a situation answerable to a man with intolerable attitudes and dogmatic behaviour. 

There is blame on both parts. I've worked for an employer that was intolerable as well. I think most have. How you handle the situation is EVERYTHING in a professional setting. I have no ill will towards Slay. I wish him well and wish he were a Lion for life. Also proud of Diggs, making the pro bowl this season. 

1 minute ago, diehardlionfan said:

I do. I blame them both. Patricia made an unnecessary comment, and Slay waited one full year before clearing the air, sowing dissention behind the scenes the entire time. Both are adults, and both were wrong. Slay doesn't get a pass because Patricia is a jerk.

Obviously a lot can change between now and next year but none of the QB prospects interest me out of the 2022 class.  If we miss out/pass on one of the big 4 this year I wouldn’t mind trading down and getting a ton of picks for 2022 and 2023.  Passing on a QB next year.  Find a way to draft the DE out of Oregon and Stingley out of LSU and make a move for our QB in 23.  Sort of like how the Rams/Eagles did for their QB.  You can say it failed but both teams were able to make the super bowl with that strategy.