Goodbye Matthew Stafford

Superduperman

You had your pros and cons. You were the greatest modern-era Lions QB, a title I hope passes on soon.

You were great at times and terrible at times, and sometimes really not one or the other.

People have discussed for weeks now, will we root for or against you when you leave. Well, I can say 100% for certain now that I am rooting against you. Every game you lose with the Rams for the next two years is another spot the Lions' draft pick will move up.

If you should go 9-23 with the Rams, or get hurt, it will warm my heart knowing you will finish your career with something around a quarter billion dollars in earnings. Bye now.

1 hour ago, Superduperman said:

You had your pros and cons. You were the greatest modern-era Lions QB, a title I hope passes on soon.

You were great at times and terrible at times, and sometimes really not one or the other.

People have discussed for weeks now, will we root for or against you when you leave. Well, I can say 100% for certain now that I am rooting against you. Every game you lose with the Rams for the next two years is another spot the Lions' draft pick will move up.

If you should go 9-23 with the Rams, or get hurt, it will warm my heart knowing you will finish your career with something around a quarter billion dollars in earnings. Bye now.

Well said.

Man honestly this is tough.  Obviously I wanted our team to win a championship but for years I really wanted it to be Stafford that won it for us.  Dude was tough as nails and a real competitor.  Having said that, I hope the Rams just crater and we get top 5 picks back to back years.  I live in LA so I guess I’ll finally see those Stafford billboards.

I will be cheering for Stafford to win a SB with the Rams. He gave his all to an organization that could never really figure things out and surround him with the pieces to make the jump into the next tier. He has always been one of my favourite players and he gave us a shot to win each and every single week. He has battled through countless injuries and significant family health matters all the while being a total class act. 

• Like 3

As a fan of a team who had to play you guys twice a year for Stafford's entire career, I would just like to say that I have nothing but respect for the man.  He played for a lot of teams that didn't have a chance to make the playoffs, but he always showed up and played hard.  I wish him luck in LA, and also hope the Lions have a lot of success in the new era with Jared Goff, or whoever else they decide to go into the future with as their QB. 

• Like 4

On 1/31/2021 at 3:53 PM, Karnage84 said:

Ouch....

She kind of had to deal with almost dying. So I guess... she's had her fair share of difficulties. 

100% agree. She did some good things while in Detroit. People view them as having some charmed life but often forget that everyone has challenges, many not solved by money. The Staffords were very active in numerous charities not public knowledge. They’re good people and deserve the opportunity to pursue their dreams and goals. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, diehardlionfan said:

100% agree. She did some good things while in Detroit. People view them as having some charmed life but often forget that everyone has challenges, many not solved by money. The Staffords were very active in numerous charities not public knowledge. They’re good people and deserve the opportunity to pursue their dreams and goals. 

They're public figures and they have given a lot to the team and the community. That kind of a health scare in general is a really scary thing let alone with a young family. I would not wish that on anybody. You can dislike someone for their personality, politics, etc. but to wish that kind of ill will against someone for that seems excessive and just plain mean spirited.

She has watched her husband spend the past 12 years on a team and organization that has not done a lot to help her husband find success (not always because they weren't trying to) and he still gave it all while suffering through significant injuries. After just dealing with the Patricia era and en-route to a full length rebuild, I can't blame her for wanting him to go to another team and have a shot to finish off his career with more success than he has had. 

I want to see Matthew find success in LA, Kelly stay healthy and they are happy with their new life in California. The Lions will (hopefully) turn things around in time and be in a position to find their own success. 

• Like 1