Patrick Mahomes is keeping Tom Brady in the NFL.

RamblinMan99

If Kansas City wins this game, I highly doubt that Tom Brady is going to just call it quits a year or two from now.  

He’s fully aware that Patrick Mahomes is in a position to oust him, and I’m not sure Tom Brady can live with that.  

Tony Romo says that there’s no conceivable way Mahomes will catch Brady’s Lombardi total if he loses next Sunday.  

I highly doubt that.  Even if Mahomes were to lose, he still has his whole career ahead of him to just keep going back to the Super Bowl.  I’ve told multiple people that I can see Mahomes with eight (8) trophies by the time he retires.  

But, this Super Bowl means more than that.  This is probably going to be the only time these two QBs will ever face each other.  

And, if Kansas City wins,  boy that’s going to take a tool to the golden calf worshippers who prayed to Tom Brady for 20 years.  

First off LMAO

Okay, now that we got THAT out of the way. Tom Brady is staying in the NFL because it’s what he loves. It’s not because of hypothetical career projections for Mahomes. That’s just nonsense. 

Everyone thought Aaron Rodgers was going to have multiple SB wins in his career and yet here we are a decade later still trying to get to his 2nd one. Enough with the ramblin

• Like 9

It's an interesting topic of conversation.  To win that many Super Bowls, you would have to be able to defeat a lot of teams constructed in many different ways.   You would probably encounter teams with very high scoring offenses, and some with dominant defenses, etc.  I do think Mahomes has the talent to be able to adapt in the ways necessary to defeat that many foes. 

The thing that makes what Tom Brady has done so amazing is that he and BB were able to change and adapt to playing on many different kinds of teams too.  For example, Andy Reid probably won't coach long enough to win 8 Super Bowls.  That would require adapting to a new head coach/GM who could have a completely different mindset.  What made Brady (and Bill Belichick) so great was that they were able to succeed while playing with so many different team mates who have come and gone over the years.  They also overcame new defensive schemes, changing league rules and philosophies, and so many things we don't often remember.

There are a lot of things we don't know.  Would Mahomes even have the drive to go on long enough to win that many championships?  Will his health hold out that long?  The list goes on.  A LOT has to go your way to have everything fall into place, and there have been a lot of great players who have come and gone over the years who didn't have the luck to have that happen even once or twice.  Dan Marino went to the Super Bowl in his rookie year and lost that game.  He said that the loss didn't bother him all that much because he just made the naive assumption that he would be back soon and win the next one.  As great of a player as he was, he never got back to the big game again.

To sum it all up, I would have to conclude that although Mahomes is talented enough to win that many times, I think his chances of having everything fall into place for him for such an extended period of time are extremely low.  That doesn't take anything away from him.  It's just kind of the way it goes in the NFL.

• Like 4

This shows much sports fandom and media is recency biased. Mahomes could win this SB and two more and end up at 4 and he still wouldn't have accomplished nearly half of the things Brady did in his career. He'd need two more MVP's, he'd need 2 more SB wins and 3 appearances on top of that. He'd need to play long enough to hold all the stat records. He'd need to go to the conference title game like 4 more times on top of that. He'd need the amazing longevity. He'd need to never have a losing season ever. Etc. 

He played 3 years. Anyone pretending this is a discussion worth having is desperate. At least when the Rodgers talk started it was around 2014 when he got 2 MVP's and a ring and Brady was trying to win his 4th and it looked feasible. Or when Brady and Manning were going at it they were in a real race for awhile. 

• Like 4

3 hours ago, Uncle Buck said:

The thing that makes what Tom Brady has done so amazing is that he and BB were able to change and adapt to playing on many different kinds of teams too.  For example, Andy Reid probably won't coach long enough to win 8 Super Bowls.  That would require adapting to a new head coach/GM who could have a completely different mindset.  What made Brady (and Bill Belichick) so great was that they were able to succeed while playing with so many different team mates who have come and gone over the years.  They also overcame new defensive schemes, changing league rules and philosophies, and so many things we don't often remember.

It’s interesting you look at it from this perspective, because it’s actually a lot tougher to win multiple Super Bowls with the same exact team in place.  

That’s why the 1970s Steelers winning four (4) Super Bowls in six (6) years with all the same players wasn’t even heard of.  

If you have a head coach like Belichick who really understands how to acquire players and likes to cheat from time to time, then it’s actually really easy to keep going back to the Super Bowl if you just keep getting more youth at every position from year to year.  

4 hours ago, Uncle Buck said:

Dan Marino went to the Super Bowl in his rookie year and lost that game.  He said that the loss didn't bother him all that much because he just made the naive assumption that he would be back soon and win the next one.  As great of a player as he was, he never got back to the big game again.

I do agree with this, and I think that’s part of the mentality that ruined Dan Marino’s career in terms of Super Bowls.  

But, that’s not going to be Mahomes.  He could have easily slid off the track after becoming the youngest QB to be both SB champion and MVP, but he hasn’t declined at all.  

And Brady’s perspective is very different from that of Mahomes.  Brady was so salty because of how low he was drafted and even cried about it after he had already been to four Super Bowls at the time. 

Conversely,  Mahomes was a natural talent from the very beginning and was very humble about it.  He loves to compete and isn’t a self absorbed victim about it.  

The point is,  Mahomes has the maturity at a young age with his whole career ahead of him to surpass Brady’s Super Bowl total.  

It’s not guaranteed, but likely.  

6 hours ago, RamblinMan99 said:

If Kansas City wins this game, I highly doubt that Tom Brady is going to just call it quits a year or two from now.  

He’s fully aware that Patrick Mahomes is in a position to oust him, and I’m not sure Tom Brady can live with that.  

Tony Romo says that there’s no conceivable way Mahomes will catch Brady’s Lombardi total if he loses next Sunday.  

I highly doubt that.  Even if Mahomes were to lose, he still has his whole career ahead of him to just keep going back to the Super Bowl.  I’ve told multiple people that I can see Mahomes with eight (8) trophies by the time he retires.  

But, this Super Bowl means more than that.  This is probably going to be the only time these two QBs will ever face each other.  

And, if Kansas City wins,  boy that’s going to take a tool to the golden calf worshippers who prayed to Tom Brady for 20 years.  

Or he’s just playing because he loves it and is still awesome at it. He’s taken a Tampa team that hasn’t sniffed this level of success in nearly 20 years to the Super Bowl. If they get blown out, it’s still a huge success. Mahomes beating him with juggernaut of a team at its peak wouldn’t take anything away from him. Still the greatest of all time.

5 hours ago, Nick_gb said:

First off LMAO

Okay, now that we got THAT out of the way. Tom Brady is staying in the NFL because it’s what he loves. It’s not because of hypothetical career projections for Mahomes. That’s just nonsense. 

If Mahomes wasn’t in the league right now,  Brady most likely would have retired by now.  

Even then, people would have been saying that New England’s success was Belichick and not him and he would have to come out of retirement to join another team in order to prove that wrong.  

You think you really know Brady’s mindset but you couldn’t be more wrong.

Throughout his entire career, Brady has always felt like he had to prove something.

It’s a very sad case with him.  

42 minutes ago, RamblinMan99 said:

It’s interesting you look at it from this perspective, because it’s actually a lot tougher to win multiple Super Bowls with the same exact team in place.  

That’s why the 1970s Steelers winning four (4) Super Bowls in six (6) years with all the same players wasn’t even heard of.  

If you have a head coach like Belichick who really understands how to acquire players and likes to cheat from time to time, then it’s actually really easy to keep going back to the Super Bowl if you just keep getting more youth at every position from year to year.  

I do agree with this, and I think that’s part of the mentality that ruined Dan Marino’s career in terms of Super Bowls.  

But, that’s not going to be Mahomes.  He could have easily slid off the track after becoming the youngest QB to be both SB champion and MVP, but he hasn’t declined at all.  

And Brady’s perspective is very different from that of Mahomes.  Brady was so salty because of how low he was drafted and even cried about it after he had already been to four Super Bowls at the time. 

Conversely,  Mahomes was a natural talent from the very beginning and was very humble about it.  He loves to compete and isn’t a self absorbed victim about it.  

The point is,  Mahomes has the maturity at a young age with his whole career ahead of him to surpass Brady’s Super Bowl total.  

It’s not guaranteed, but likely.  

First, the bolded: You're remembering that interview wrong. He didn't cry about being drafted low, he cried thinking about the possibility of not being drafted at all and having his parent be disappointed in him.

Second, all the other nonsense: It has literally never been harder to maintain success at a high level in the NFL than it is today. The older dynasties didn't even have FA to consider, but still there were only a handful of teams that managed truly prolonged success. The Pats managed it in a different way: underspend on offense, decent pieces on defense. Very few stars. Very few big contracts. All held together by a coach who could make a top 10 defense out of the cast of kindergarten cop, and QB with the ability to lead a top 10 defense with average talent at the skill positions, and the desire to win which allowed him to take contracts well below his market value.

This is not a model KC can emulate, they are a superstar lead team, and have already paid through the nose on Mahomes' extension. They have something like 20 UFAs on their roster and are already 20 million over next year's cap. And success means people want what you have. Look at Logan Ryan or Trey Flowers on the Pats, good to very good players who performed in the playoffs and signed monster contracts elsewhere. SB teams are always picked apart by that process. Low round, low-paid starters who just got their ring now want to get their money. 

If you're thinking that KC will get the SB every year just by having Mahomes, well that's been proven wrong again and again. Rodgers, Marino, Favre, Manning, Brees, Wilson, Unitas. These were all guys that were going to lead the next dynasty, and all ended up with 0-2 rings. 

Even if KC win this year, winning multiple Superbowls beyond a narrow window of eliteness is really hard. Winning eight in the next ten years? Absurd. 

Look at it this way, the Patriots were unprecedented in their consistency -  a top 3/4 team in the NFL every year for 19 years - and even then they only actually won the SB 6 times. The most prolific dynasty in NFL history only had a 33% success rate.

If Mahomes wasn’t in the league right now,  Brady most likely would have retired by now.  

Total nonsense, Brady's been saying he'd like to play til he's 45 since before Mahomes was even drafted.

Edited by ChazStandard
  • Like 3

41 minutes ago, RamblinMan99 said:

Based on what? Brady has been saying he wanted to play until he was 45 since before Mahomes' first season as a starter.

Edited by seminoles1
  • Like 1