• Micah Parsons LB
    • DeVonta Smith WR
    • Kwity Paye DE/DT
    • Ja'Marr Chase WR
    • Patrick Surtain III CB
    • Trey Lance QB
    • Jaylen Waddle WR

9 hours ago, jrry32 said:

Okay, but on the other hand, Calvin Ridley was basically a lesser version of Devonta Smith at Alabama, and he finished fifth in the NFL in receiving yards this year. (I'm also not sure how De'Anthony Thomas made his way into the discussion.) I think you have to trust what you see on film. If you aren't impressed, fine. But I remember talking myself out of Russell Wilson as a prospect because I convinced myself that a 5'11" QB couldn't be a starter. I didn't make that mistake the next year when a bunch of others talked themselves out of Aaron Donald because a 6'1" 280 pound DT couldn't be an elite player.

Calvin Ridley is bigger.  It may only be 15 lbs but thats nearly 10% of his body weight he would have to increase.  And when he got to Bama he was 157 so he already has bulked up a lot and is still scrawny.  

Comparing to Russell Wilson is comparing to an exception, not the rule.  If you want to play the lotto with small odds, then so be it, but you are more likely to get Baker Mayfield than Wilson.  Even Kyler Murray who looks the part has a lot of questions on his ability to win and be consistent and he is the one they took 1 because of Wilson. 

Aaron Donald was a pass rusher.  If he couldn't play DT, he could be a DE.  He had value either way.  

DeAnthony Thomas was brought into the discussion because he was an elite college player that was unstoppable at Oregon.  The film showed he was shifty, dynamic, fast, and he still couldn't make it in the NFL at his size.  He is the RB/slot version of Smith IMO.  

As I have said, I think he will have a decent career.  I dont think he is trash and he will stick in the league.  I just don't think he is worth a top 10 pick when there are others available that have a higher likelihood of success. 

• Like 1

I don't think Smith is going to be a game changer because of his size.  In this draft, I don't see many game changers at all. And in the top 10, I want a game changer. I only see a few possible game changers. Those are Lawrence, Parsons, Sewell. Too be fair, I only really am sold on Lawrence. I'm including Parsons here because I believe he could be a tone setter on defense. Now, I do have difficulty taking a LB at 7, but I think he is the best talent available at 7 although his position is not necessarily top 10 worthy.  Since we have a team void of  talent especially on defense, probably the best thing we can do right now is trading down out of the 7 spot. Because I feel this draft is weak, I feel stocking up on draft parts will be the better move (This is why I like the future picks for Stafford). If that doesn't happen and Sewell isn't there, I'm taking the best player and at 7 and that will be Parsons.

Smith will have a solid career.  I think he's a baller in the Hines Ward mode. I really appreciate the fact he didn't sit out the year and he competed in the bowl game. I like this in a player. It appears he puts the team first, thus the comparison to Ward.

I wouldn't be unhappy if Smith was the pick, I would just question if it was the best pick.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, Sllim Pickens said:

He weighed in at 190 at the combine.  Also I wouldn't use a top 7 pick on CeeDee Lamb at this point.  Like I said, if Smith bulks and maintains, there is a chance.  But he is a senior, a year and a half older than Lamb was when he came out, and much thinner.  

Smith will be just fine. Every year players get overlooked due to some size parameter. Every year some of those same players excel. He can put on ten pounds and his weight per inch will be in line with numerous successful receivers. 

I would be concerned if there was injury history but there isn’t and he played in the SEC which isn’t a bad thing. His speed, route running, ability to get separation are all positives. He also brings special teams value and plays bigger than his size would indicate.

I wouldn’t want to take him at 7 but theres only one player I would want at seven and he likely won’t be available. So it becomes a matter of second choices and I wouldn’t be upset if he’s the selection. Hopefully the pick gets traded.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Sllim Pickens said:

Calvin Ridley is bigger.  It may only be 15 lbs but thats nearly 10% of his body weight he would have to increase.  And when he got to Bama he was 157 so he already has bulked up a lot and is still scrawny.  

Comparing to Russell Wilson is comparing to an exception, not the rule.  If you want to play the lotto with small odds, then so be it, but you are more likely to get Baker Mayfield than Wilson.  Even Kyler Murray who looks the part has a lot of questions on his ability to win and be consistent and he is the one they took 1 because of Wilson. 

Aaron Donald was a pass rusher.  If he couldn't play DT, he could be a DE.  He had value either way.  

DeAnthony Thomas was brought into the discussion because he was an elite college player that was unstoppable at Oregon.  The film showed he was shifty, dynamic, fast, and he still couldn't make it in the NFL at his size.  He is the RB/slot version of Smith IMO.  

As I have said, I think he will have a decent career.  I dont think he is trash and he will stick in the league.  I just don't think he is worth a top 10 pick when there are others available that have a higher likelihood of success. 

But you just demonstrated that Wilson in fact isn't the exception anymore. Rather, we realized the rule was a bad one. And moving Donald to EDGE was never on the table. The idea was that he was too small to defend the run at a high level. De'Anthony Thomas was a gadget guy who went in the 4th round. He isn't comparable to Smith. I don't think Smith's success hinging on being 180 pounds instead of 175 pounds. So the question to me is if you see a player on film who is worth the pick.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, jrry32 said:

But you just demonstrated that Wilson in fact isn't the exception anymore. Rather, we realized the rule was a bad one. And moving Donald to EDGE was never on the table. The idea was that he was too small to defend the run at a high level. De'Anthony Thomas was a gadget guy who went in the 4th round. He isn't comparable to Smith. I don't think Smith's success hinging on being 180 pounds instead of 175 pounds. So the question to me is if you see a player on film who is worth the pick.

Wilson is still the exception.  Many have ignored it and not got Wilson but the generic version.  

That may have never been the plan for Donald, but it was an option.  That still allows for value. 

DeAnthony Thomas was used in a similar role as Smith.  Watch the scoring plays against OSU and most were trick plays/gadget type motion from him.  The deep balls were on plays when there is no disruption at the line of scrimmage.  DAT showed similar excitement when watching him, yet he wasn't drafted that high.  My point is I dont see a player on film who is worth a top 10 pick.  I see a gadget player who had a great year statistically, but he likely wont translate those statistics to the NFL. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Sllim Pickens said:

Wilson is still the exception.  Many have ignored it and not got Wilson but the generic version.  

That may have never been the plan for Donald, but it was an option.  That still allows for value. 

DeAnthony Thomas was used in a similar role as Smith.  Watch the scoring plays against OSU and most were trick plays/gadget type motion from him.  The deep balls were on plays when there is no disruption at the line of scrimmage.  DAT showed similar excitement when watching him, yet he wasn't drafted that high.  My point is I dont see a player on film who is worth a top 10 pick.  I see a gadget player who had a great year statistically, but he likely wont translate those statistics to the NFL. 

It will be interesting to watch Slim. This draft is messed up. I really hope Holmes can pull another rabbit out of the hat. 

I think that the Lions will try to move one way or the other. They'll either look to move up to get a QB or move down with another QB needy team to acquire more draft picks. 

As much as I like Chase and Smith, I think that they probably go defense in the first round. This is another deep WR class, and WR could potentially be a massive need, but I think that they can grab a good guy on day two. I'd be happy with Amon-Ra St. Brown, Terrance Marshall Jr., or any of the guys that slip. There has to be 10-15 receivers that I think that the Lions could draft and have them contribute right away. 

Edited by Lions017
  • Like 2

24 minutes ago, diehardlionfan said:

It will be interesting to watch Slim. This draft is messed up. I really hope Holmes can pull another rabbit out of the hat. 

It is, not to mention just an odd year to evaluate talent with people opting out, limited practices, different rules in areas, different number of games played etc.  Its another reason I am glad to get future picks instead of this years picks.  

I do hope we can move down unless one of my top 3 falls to us.  I would be ok moving down into the teens and taking Rousseu, Paye, Barrmore, one of the WRs etc there. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Lions017 said:

I'd be happy with Amon-Ra St. Brown, Terrance Marshall Jr., or any of the guys that slip. There has to be 10-15 receivers that I think that the Lions could draft and have them contribute right away. 

ARSB was a guy I was really looking into for the Rams to match up with Goff when I was considering moving Woods for some Cap Room. 

I feel like he is the perfect type of fit with what Goff does best, plus he has the potential to be a Star receiver if he outplays his measurables (which we have seen happen in the league).

I feel he could be a lot like Woods, a 1-B type receiver, and if that can be paired up with KG, no matter the QB that’s some scary weapons 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, StLunatic88 said:

ARSB was a guy I was really looking into for the Rams to match up with Goff when I was considering moving Woods for some Cap Room. 

I feel like he is the perfect type of fit with what Goff does best, plus he has the potential to be a Star receiver if he outplays his measurables (which we have seen happen in the league).

I feel he could be a lot like Woods, a 1-B type receiver, and if that can be paired up with KG, no matter the QB that’s some scary weapons 

I like his game/potential as well. Every mock draft I've, he's sitting there at the top of 3rd and I've tried taking other players, just to mix it up, but passing on him is hard. 

1 minute ago, Louis Friend said:

I like his game/potential as well. Every mock draft I've, he's sitting there at the top of 3rd and I've tried taking other players, just to mix it up, but passing on him is hard. 

If he is there in the 3rd I think you have to take him. I’d be willing to take him in the Middle of the 2nd. Ive got him ranked just inside my Top 60, but ranking the WRs in this draft is very volatile right now

3 minutes ago, StLunatic88 said:

If he is there in the 3rd I think you have to take him. I’d be willing to take him in the Middle of the 2nd. Ive got him ranked just inside my Top 60, but ranking the WRs in this draft is very volatile right now

Well, we don't have a middle 2nd... the pains of being a bad team, we draft at the top of rounds. 😂 

31 minutes ago, StLunatic88 said:

D'Wayne Eskridge is my WR crush in this Draft. Twitchy athlete who can absolutely fly (4.3 40), but he catches the ball well and runs good routes.

6 hours ago, Sllim Pickens said:

Wilson isn't the exception anymore. Kyler Murray is a pretty good QB. I disagree on De'Anthony Thomas. Devonta Smith is a traditional WR (and has been his entire Alabama career). Thomas was a gadget guy. If you don't see the film of a top 10 pick, I respect that. I simply don't agree with the notion that Smith isn't worth it because he's skinny. Whether or not his film is worth it is a fair question.