TJM Mock Offseason

TJM217

Hey guys, Ive decide to do a weekly mock offseason with FA and draft. Critiques are welcome. This is what I would if I were GM. I assumed the cap will be 185M which would mean we start of 7M over the cap. (So a lot of money needed to be saved and free agent's market value is lowered). If you have any question like who was available at certain pick in the draft I can look it up. This first mock I went with safer prospects. 

Mock Draft 1/31

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/cap/ 

Pre FA cuts

Major Cut: 

Adam Humphries- saves 4M

Kenney Vaccaro- saves 4M

Malcom Butler- saves 10M

Cameron Batson- saves 850000

Cody Hollister- saves 850000

Resignings:

DeQuan Jones 5M/year

Jadeveon Clowney 7M/year

Stephen Gostkowski 1M/year

Geoff Swaim 990000

Anthony Firkser 1M  

Khari Blasingame 850000

Restructure contact:

Kevin Bayard- Saves 8M

Taylor Lewan- Saves 7M

Major FA signings:

Ryan Kerrigan 5M/year

T.Y. Hilton 7M/year 

NFL draft https://www.profootballnetwork.com/mockdraft/ 

Team Needs-CB, Edge, 3-4DE, S, ILB, TE, WR

Trades: 

Departed: Pick 22

Received: Pick 30, 61, 191

Departed: Pick 120

Received: Pick 137, 143

Draft results

30. Joseph Ossai Edge Texas-Well rounded edge prospect that is solid in run defense and as a pass rusher. Has experience in pass coverage from the LB position. Great motor. Only 1 year as a full time pass rusher.

53. Levi Onwuzurike DT Washington- Decent size, plays with great leverage and motor. Good athleticism. Relative safe prospect

61. Aaron Robinson CB UCF- Willing tackler and comfortable in the slot. Good size at 5-11 198lbs. Plays zone and man coverage. Bit of a jack of all trades master of none. Good but not great athlete. 

85. Brevin Jordan TE Miami- BPA by far. Nuclear athlete for a TE. Can line up in the slot, H back, in-line. Used on screens, deep route or slants. Miami made it a point to get him the ball. Average size for a TE, Average blocker, average hands. Very similar to Jonnu but with better agility.

137. D’Ante Smith T/OG East Carolina- Good mobility for a tackle, lean, has good hand usage. Senior bowl came in at 6’5’’ 294lbs 35.3’’ arms and 10’’ hands. Played last year in the 270s-280s but beefed up for the senior bowl. Not the strongest and is limited to ZBS. Project who will need to sit for at least a year.

143. Caden Sterns S Texas- Above average athlete that can play both man and zone (halfs or single). Good route recognition. Not the best size and limits his tackling ability. 

153. Dazz Newsome WR UNC- Highly productive in 4 years at UNC. Good quickness, great route running. Mainly played in the slot. Great hands and ball skills. Can play ST as a returner

164. Chauncey Golston edge Iowa- Huge size. Measured at 6’4 268 lbs Arm 33 ¾’’ hands 11’’. Plays stronger than suggested with good bull rush. At Iowa played OLB, DE and DT can line up in multiple places in the Titans defense. Not very flexible around the edge or good sideline to sideline speed. Makes a great back up to the Jadeveon Clowney/Elephant role

191. Cam Sample DT Tulane-Decent size and has played DT and DE. Good motor and good athlete. Tore up the senior bowl. Better acceleration than long speed. Coming from a small school.

194. Derrick Barnes LB Purdue- Typical 3-4 thumper at ILB. Has some experience at DE rushing the passer. 7.5 sack in 2018. Good accelerating and hand usage. Short and not a lot of length to get off blocks. How well does he play in coverage?

Depth Chart

Red=Rookie

QB- Ryan Tannehill, Logan Woodside

RB- Derrick Henry, Darrynton Evans, D’onta Foreman 

WR-A.J. Brown, T.Y. Hilton, Dazz Newsome, Kalif Raymond, Chester Rodgers

TE- Anthony Firkser, Brevin Jordan, Geoff Swain, Mycole Pruitt

LT-Taylor Lewan, D’Ante Smith, David Quessenberry 

LG-Roger Saffold, Aaron Brewer

C-Ben Jones

RG- Nate Davis, Jamil Douglas
RT- Dennis Kelly, Isaiah Wilson
LDE-Jeffery Simmions, Cam Sample
DT- DaQuan Jones
RDE- Larrell Murchison,  Levi Onwuzurike

LOLB- Jadeveon Clowney, Ryan Kerrigan, Chauncey Golston, Derrick Roberson

ILB- David Long, Rashaan Evans, Derrick Barnes, Darren Bates

ROLB- Harold Landry, Joseph Ossai, Tuzar Skipper
CB- Adoree Jackson, Kristian Fulton, Aaron Robinson, Chris Jackson, Tye Smith

S- Kevin Byard, Amani Hooker, Caden Sterns, Dane Cruikshank

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Second rendition of a mock off season. This time in the draft I focused on potential and going for high risk high reward players. This isnt my favorite draft. I wish I could have draft at least one offensive lineman but the board didnt fall that way. This is one of the most athletic drafts you will see. 

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/cap/ 

Pre FA cuts

Major Cut: 

Adam Humphries- saves 4M

Kenney Vaccaro- saves 4M

Cody Hollister- saves 850000

Chris Jackson- Saves 850000

Resignings:

DeQuan Jones 5M/year

Jadeveon Clowney 6M/year

Stephen Gostkowski 1M/year

Geoff Swaim 990000

Anthony Firkser 1.2M  

Restructure contact:

Derrick Henry- Saves 6M

Kevin Bayard- Saves 8M

Taylor Lewan- Saves 7M

Roger Saffold- Saves 3M

Major FA signings:

William Jackson III 6.5M/year

Carl Lawson 8M/year

Josh Reynolds 3M/year 

Team Needs- Edge, 3-4DE, ILB, TE, S, CB, WR

Trades: 

Departed: Pick 22, 167

Received: Pick 39, 73, 185, 195, CAR future 2nd

Draft results

39. Jayson Oweh Edge Penn State-  Best athlete at the pass rushing position in the draft. Strong, can bend, has the ability to win multiple ways. Reportedly has a 4.33 40-yard dash, a 36.5-inch vertical, and a 127-inch broad jump. Ideal size at 6-5 252lb. Raw prospect that needs to learn more pass rush moves. RS soph and has only played in 20 games

53. Jay Tufele DT USC- Great size, Great burst of the LOS. Commands double team on every play. Plus athlete compared to other defensive tackles. Can play multiple spots on the line. Can lose the play behind the LOS. 

73. Brevin Jordan TE Miami- Nuclear athlete for a TE. Can line up in the slot, H back, in-line. Used on screens, deep route or slants. Miami made it a point to get him the ball. Average size for a TE, Average blocker, average hands. Very similar to Jonnu but with better agility.

85. Greg Newsome II Northwestern- Good size at 6’1” 190lbs. Versatile and can play man and zone. Good hips. Not the fastest but fast enough. Missed games every season due to injury. Only started 18 games. 

100. Joe Tyron  Edge UW- Ideal 3-4 OLB. Bendy, good first step with active hands. Good size at 6’4” 250. Needs a better counter and get better at reading the play. Didn't play in 2020 

126. James Wiggins S Cinci - Good to great athlete at for a safety. Good size at 6’0” 205lbs. Fluid hips. Versatile who lined up 2-deep, single high and at slot. Clutch performer with 3 out of 5 of his interceptions ended the game for his team. Questionable route recognition. Tore ACL in early 2019. Only played in 2018 and short season in 2020. 

185. Josh Imatorbhebhe Illinois- Great size. 6’2” 215-220lbs. Plays strong and has decent long speed (estimated low 4.5). Long arms and Good hands. 4 star recruit that started at USC. Needs to improve his route running. Not very productive in college.

195. Anthony Schwartz- Speed, speed, speed. This is the guy you line up to watch his 40 yard dash at the “combine”. Good agility to be used on jet sweps WR screens. Needs to improve route running and extending his catch radius. 

187. Derrick Barnes LB Purdue- Typical 3-4 thumper at ILB. Has some experience at DE rushing the passer. 7.5 sack in 2018. Good accelerating and hand usage. Short and not alot of length to get off blocks. How well does he play in coverage?

216. Shakur Brown CB Michigan State- Breakout season in 2020 with 5 INTs. 5’11’’ 190 lbs. Good athlete that showed good anticipation in 2020. Press man corner, aggressive (almost to a fault). 7 games in 2020 were great but 2019 tape was poor. Only 12 games of starting experience so cant tell if he is improving or if 2020 was a fluke. 

Depth Chart

QB- Ryan Tannehill, Logan Woodside

RB- Derrick Henry, Darrynton Evans, D’onta Foreman 

WR-A.J. Brown, Josh Reynolds, Josh Imatorbhebhe, Anthony Schwartz, Kalif Raymond, Chester Rodgers

TE- Anthony Firkser, Brevin Jordan, Geoff Swain, Mycole Pruitt

LT-Taylor Lewan, David Quessenberry 

LG-Roger Saffold, Aaron Brewer

C-Ben Jones

RG- Nate Davis, Jamil Douglas

RT- Dennis Kelly, Isaiah Wilson

LDE-Jeffery Simmions, Jadeveon Clowney

DT- DaQuan Jones

RDE- Larrell Murchison, Jay Tufele

LOLB- Jadeveon Clowney, Carl Lawson, Joe Tryon, Derrick Roberson

ILB- David Long, Rashaan Evans, Derrick Barnes, Darren Bates

ROLB- Harold Landry, Jayson Oweh, Tuzar Skipper

CB- Malcolm Butler, William Jackson III, Adoree Jackson, Kristian Fulton, Greg Newsome II, Breon Borders, Shakur Brown

S- Kevin Byard, Amani Hooker, James Wiggins, Dane Cruikshank

Both mocks are pretty good. Only complaint I have is not improving the depth the OL. I know we have a ton of needs and that loser Wilson is holding a lot of things up but our depth has been trash for a while now especially the interior. Brevin Jordan is a great player but he’s made of glass. Followed him since high school when he was a 5* prospect from Vegas. Always compared him to Delanie Walker. Not a giant 6’6 TE but wasn’t afraid to block and is a damn good athlete. I have no issue taking him in the 3rd especially if we let Jonnu go but I think Robinson will try to go with the safest draft possible this year especially after that massive failure last year. That likely means no character concerns, kids who have played a ton with a limited amount of injuries, and very productive players. That to me might take players like Jordan out of the equation. Overall these are two pretty good mocks. I probably like the 2nd one better although I think you’re underselling the amount the FAs will want.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, ttitansfan4life said:

Both mocks are pretty good. Only complaint I have is not improving the depth the OL. I know we have a ton of needs and that loser Wilson is holding a lot of things up but our depth has been trash for a while now especially the interior. Brevin Jordan is a great player but he’s made of glass. Followed him since high school when he was a 5* prospect from Vegas. Always compared him to Delanie Walker. Not a giant 6’6 TE but wasn’t afraid to block and is a damn good athlete. I have no issue taking him in the 3rd especially if we let Jonnu go but I think Robinson will try to go with the safest draft possible this year especially after that massive failure last year. That likely means no character concerns, kids who have played a ton with a limited amount of injuries, and very productive players. That to me might take players like Jordan out of the equation. Overall these are two pretty good mocks. I probably like the 2nd one better although I think you’re underselling the amount the FAs will want.

Thanks for the feedback! I agree about the O line depth. I think it's a sneaky need that alot of people aren't paying attention to because our defense was so bad. Our OL will be ancient in about 1-2 seasons. 

Yeah I'm not sure how to mock the FA signings. Usually I go to sportrac and whatever there estimate is I take off ~1 million. I would think in a down market free agents have to take less money. 

In the mocks I usually do what I would do, I'm not as risk adverse as most people are. I think for my next one I'll do what I think JRob would do. 

• 1 month later...

Decided to bring my mock offseason thread back without FA. Let me know what yall think

Team Needs- CB, WR, ILB, OT, TE, DE, WR

Trades: None

Draft results

22. Zaven Collins ILB Tulsa-  Large size at 6’5” 259lbs. Good athlete with 4.67 40, 35in vert, 122in broad. Shows good athleticism on the field. Diverse skill set (can pass rush, cover in zone, run and chase, and plays the run well). 4 Int last season and 2 for touchdowns. Lead the team in sacks and Ints last season. Avg instincts. 

53. Asante Samuel Jr- Average size 5’10” 180lbs 30in arm length, 8 ⅞ in hands. 4.45 40, 35 BJ, 6.95 3C, 4.13SS. Great hips, great in man coverage. Willing to get his hands on the WR but can be too grabby. Small size can affect his tackling ability in the NFL. not elite speed. Not as experienced in zone coverage.

85. Amon Ra St. Brown WR USC- 5’11.5” 197lbs. 4.51 40, 38.5 in VJ, 10’7” BJ, 6.81 3C, 20 BP. Good athlete who is fluid in all directions, Great hands who will extend arms to make the play. Great route runner who wins more with technique. Not the fastest or strongest. Might have trouble with press coverage. Had some concentration drops last year. 

100. D’Ante Smith- 5.29 40, 29 VJ, 9’5” BJ, 4.81 SS, 7.96 3C. Good mobility for a tackle, lean, long, has good hand usage. Senior bowl came in at 6’5’’ 294lbs 35.3’’ arms and 10’’ hands. Played last year in the 270s-280s but beefed up for the senior bowl. Wrestling background. Not the strongest and is limited to ZBS. Project who will need to sit for at least a year to gain more strength

126. James Wiggins S Cinci - 5’11” 209lbs, 4.42 40, 38VJ, 10’7” BJ, Good to great athlete at safety. Good size at 6’0” 205lbs. Fluid hips. Versatile who lined up 2-deep, single high and at slot. Clutch performer with 3 out of 5 of his interceptions ended the game for his team. Questionable route recognition. Tore ACL in early 2019. Only played in 2018 and short season in 2020. 

166. Nick Eubanks- Great size. 6’4” 245lbs. 79” wingspan, 9 ⅞ “ hands. 34” VJ, 10’1” BJ, 4.59 40, 7.03 3C, 4.53SS. Good athlete with great straight line speed. Good size with long arms and huge catch radius. Ok route runner. Older prospect at 24. Below average blocker but has the size to do it. Whole wolverine offense struggled last year

205.Janarius Robinson- Great size. 6’5” 263lbs. 86 ¼ ” wingspan, 35 ¼ Arm length, 10 ⅞ “ hands. 34” VJ, 10’1” BJ, 4.78 40, 7.31 3C, 4.40SS, 25BP. Long and athletic. With better coaching can be a 5 tech and move around on pass rushing downs. Needs to use his hands better to control at the POA. Flashed ability but never fully put it together in college 

215. Khyirs Tonga NT BYU- NT size at 6’2” 325lbs 35 on the BP, 5.02 40,7.82 3C. Has NFL size for 0-tech. True space eater who can take on double teams. Shorter arm than suspected. Not a pass rusher. Not agile. Had some plays where he was handled 1 on 1.

232. Jacob Harris WR UCF- 6’5” 219lbs, 4.39-4.43 40, 11’1” BJ, 6.51 3C, 33 ¾ inch arms, 9 ¼ inch hands. Great size and tore up his pro day. Strong WR that can bully smaller DBs, strong hands. Only played 1 year of high school football, Transfer from western Kentucky played 4 years at UCF and only started last year. Did not play to the speed he showed at pro day.