Dan Fouts

Warren Moon

Eli Manning

Philip Rivers

Jim Kelly

Troy Aikman

Kurt Warner

Joe Namath

Jim Kelly is without a doubt at the top for me. I think Kurt Warner is next, followed by Stabler/Fouts/Aikman. 

I'm surprised by how high Rivers is, in general, on this list

I assume this is meant to be "bottom tier of HoF QBs" plus "borderline HoF recently retired QBs" to get a sense of whether Rivers/Eli deserve to be inducted?

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Tk3 said:

I'm surprised by how high Rivers is, in general, on this list

I assume this is meant to be "bottom tier of HoF QBs" plus "borderline HoF recently retired QBs" to get a sense of whether Rivers/Eli deserve to be inducted?

Albeit Jim Kelly isn't a bottom tier HOF guy at that position. I don't think Warner is either, albeit I can see the argument to the contrary.

10 minutes ago, MWil23 said:

Albeit Jim Kelly isn't a bottom tier HOF guy at that position. I don't think Warner is either, albeit I can see the argument to the contrary.

I'm just saying that everyone other than Rivers/Eli on his list is in the HOF, and none of them are the greats

1. Kurt Warner
  2. Dan Fouts
  3. Ken Stabler
  4. Philip Rivers
  5. Jim Kelly
  6. Warren Moon
  7. Troy Aikman
  8. Joe Namath
  9. Eli Manning

I'm not around for most of these guys so am mostly going off highlights, hearsay, stats and accolades. I hold the belief that Kelly and Moon both benefitted massively from the offenses they participated in which is why they're not near the top... and I'll admit there definitely may be some recency bias with Rivers as we all have been looking back and appreciating his career these past few weeks. The top 3 and bottom 2 are very clear for me and I'm prepared to argue. Everything in between, not so much.  

Edited by RandyMossIsBoss

20 hours ago, MWil23 said:

Unless Eli gets in, then Kelly is absolutely a bottom tier HOF guy. Either he or Stabler would probably the worst QB to make the Hall in the last 25 years.

Among his contemporaries, Moon, Aikman, Marino, Montana, and Elway, he has the fewest Pro Bowl selections. He’s the only member of that club to not have a SB MVP, league MVP, or offensive player of the year award. He started the fewest games of all of the members of that group. His 12 point drop in passer rating from the regular season to the playoffs is the worst of that group.

In the 4 consecutive SBs he made, the Bills underrated defense played a bigger role in the AFC title games then he did in getting there. He also tended to play like crap in the SB, and was outplayed in 2 of his appearances by Hostetler and Rypien, neither of whom will even sniff the Hall.

Again, Kelly was an excellent QB who had a fantastic team around him, and a great system in place. But as things stand now, he’s absolutely a bottom tier HOF qb.

2 minutes ago, Archimedes said:

Unless Eli gets in, then Kelly is absolutely a bottom tier HOF guy. Either he or Stabler would probably the worst QB to make the Hall in the last 25 years.

Among his contemporaries, Moon, Aikman, Marino, Montana, and Elway, he has the fewest Pro Bowl selections. He’s the only member of that club to not have a SB MVP, league MVP, or offensive player of the year award. He started the fewest games of all of the members of that group. His 12 point drop in passer rating from the regular season to the playoffs is the worst of that group.

In the 4 consecutive SBs he made, the Bills underrated defense played a bigger role in the AFC title games then he did in getting there. He also tended to play like crap in the SB, and was outplayed in 2 of his appearances by Hostetler and Rypien, neither of whom will even sniff the Hall.

Again, Kelly was an excellent QB who had a fantastic team around him, and a great system in place. But as things stand now, he’s absolutely a bottom tier HOF qb.

LOL

Kelly is better than Aikman and it's not even close. 

SUMMARY

TROY AIKMAN Career

G

AV

QBrec

94-71-0

Cmp%

Yds

Y/A

TD

Int

SUMMARY

JIM KELLY Career

G

AV

QBrec

101-59-0

Cmp%

Yds

Y/A

TD

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, MWil23 said:

LOL

Kelly is better than Aikman and it's not even close. 

SUMMARY

TROY AIKMAN Career

G

AV

QBrec

94-71-0

Cmp%

Yds

Y/A

TD

Int

SUMMARY

JIM KELLY Career

G

AV

QBrec

101-59-0

Cmp%

Yds

Y/A

TD

Yeah... No.

Their regular season efficiency numbers are comparable, however Aikman’s efficiency went up in the playoffs, Kelly’s tanked. Aikman has more pro bowls, and a SB MVP, something that Kelly doesn’t have.

12 minutes ago, Archimedes said:

Yeah... No.

Yeah...Yeah. Not even close and not even a debate.

12 minutes ago, Archimedes said:

Aikman has more pro bowls, and a SB MVP, something that Kelly doesn’t have.

"More Pro Bowls"

L

O

L

As for the Super Bowl MVP, neither does Dan Marino. 

L

O

L

9 minutes ago, MWil23 said:

Yeah...Yeah. Not even close and not even a debate.

No, not a debate. Aikman was better.

10 minutes ago, MWil23 said:

"More Pro Bowls

If Pro Bowls were so easy to make, how come Jim Kelly doesn’t have more selections?

13 minutes ago, MWil23 said:

As for the Super Bowl MVP, neither does Dan Marino.

Which might be relevant if we were discussing Marino vs Aikman. The issue is Aikman vs Kelly.

Aikman has a similar career passer rating and ANY/A to Kelly in the regular season.

In the playoffs, Aikman’s passer rating is much better than Kelly’s.

In the playoffs, Aikman’s ANY/A is much better than Kelly’s.

Aikman has a SB MVP, Kelly doesn’t.

Aikman has more PB selections.

But Kelly threw for more yards and TDs!!!!! 

LOL! LOL! LOL! LOL!

I will say, something Kelly is legitimately better than Aikman at. Not showing up in the SB. Kelly is GOAT at that.

Just now, Archimedes said:

If Pro Bowls were so easy to make, how come Jim Kelly doesn’t have more selections?

Marino

Elway

...just for starters

...considering only 2 QB's used to make the team each year.

I'm done talking with someone who probably isn't old enough to have ever watched any of these guys play. 

1 minute ago, MWil23 said:

Marino

Elway

And? Aikman played in the same conference as Young and Favre, among others.

2 minutes ago, MWil23 said:

I'm done talking with someone who probably isn't old enough to have ever watched any of these guys play. 

Lol, I’m old enough to have watched these guys their whole careers. Of course, whether you were old enough to have watched these guys doesn’t matter anyway, because you didn’t actually know what you were watching.

Aikman was more successful but Kelly was better.

Aikman had a couple good runs in the playoffs but that team would have won a lot with any average QB. Kelly's team relied on Kelly way more. When he struggled they lost. When Aikman struggled they still won a lot.

Aikman 3.5 career td% to Kelly's 5.0

One was asked to be the driver the other was a passenger.

On 2/3/2021 at 8:16 PM, Thomas5737 said:

Aikman was more successful but Kelly was better.

Aikman had a couple good runs in the playoffs but that team would have won a lot with any average QB. Kelly's team relied on Kelly way more. When he struggled they lost. When Aikman struggled they still won a lot.

Aikman 3.5 career td% to Kelly's 5.0

One was asked to be the driver the other was a passenger.

Kelly did not play particularly well in any of his final 3 AFC title games, and was straight up crap in the game against Denver. The Bills won all of those games. Kelly didn’t play all that well in the 1995 wildcard win against the Dolphins either. 

As loaded as those early 90s Cowboys teams were, Troy delivered some masterpieces in the playoffs. I fully expected the Niners to win that 93 NFCCG going in, but Aikman balled out. I don’t think an average QB could have replicated his performance in that game. The Cowboys probably would have won with any half decent starter the next year as they were never really challenged in the playoffs. A couple of years later in the 96 NFCCG though, Troy was nails again. He led the Cowboys over an elite Packers team despite having a clown for a coach that year.

Troy was a lot better than people tend to remember and Kelly was a little worse than people remember (although he was still really good).