TCMD GM Mock Draft - Titans' War Room: Tony Fields, Jose Borregales drafted in rounds 5 and 6

Daniel

So you guys can see how free agency and the draft unfolds for the Titans and everyone else.  I'll update it as stuff happens.

So far: Tennessee trades OT Isaiah Wilson to the Tampa Bay Buccaneers for WR Tyler Johnson.

Titans renegotiate the contracts of Taylor Lewan and Kevin Byard

Titans sign Dawuane Smoot, Josh Reynolds, Mark Barron, and Tajae Sharpe in Free Agency.

Titans re-sign Daquan Jones, Anthony Firkser, MyCole Pruitt, Ty Sambrailo, Kalif Raymond, Will Compton, Brooks Reed, Jamil Douglas, Matt Dickerson, and Matt Overton in Free Agency.

Titans drafted Daviyon Nixon with pick 22, Joe Tryon with pick 53, and Kelvin Joseph with pick 85, Hunter Long with pick 100, Cam Sample with pick 125, Tony Fields with pick 166, and Jose Borregales with pick 186.

Edited by Daniel
  • Like 1

13 minutes ago, TJM217 said:

I like the idea of cutting bait while we can. This might be the highest value he has. What number are you guys using for the salary cap?

$205 million.  We lost money trading Wilson because of guarantees, but it was the only way to get something for him.

It's also why I always argue cutting him would be a bad move: dat guaranteed money.

• 3 weeks later...

With the first round pick, the Titans select: Daviyon Nixon, DL, Iowa.

20201031_IOWA_FOOTBALL_VS_NORTHWESTERN_S

Reached for comment, the Titans said they liked his explosiveness, saying "He has a lot of tape where he just plows through double teams, and he has a good athletic profile for inside.  We actually had Jeffery Simmons as his pro comp, and that's worked out well for us so far."

12 hours ago, TJM217 said:

Bringing back Raymond is interesting.

I like the Josh Reynolds signing. I did that in my mock off season. Good low risk high reward player. 

Dont know much about Smoot. Could you break him down for me? 

He was with the Jags for several years, not a standout, but a contributor.  Does a good job of edge containment, and should complement Landry.  Doesn't generate a ton of sacks (11.5 in the last two years), but he is young, and does get pressure (17 QBH in 2020, just not the sacks).  We hoped to get an impact pass rusher, but the market was tough for that, and we knew we would spend at least one draft pick at the edge position anyway.

Raymond was an early move, signed for the vet minimum.  We weren't sure what the WR market would be, and since he is a speedy receiver, we wanted to keep him on the roster.  He shouldn't be more than our fourth WR at this point.  Reynolds is expected to be AJ Brown's No. 2, and Tyler Johnson after that.

• Like 1

With the 53rd pick, the Titans drafted Joe Tyron, Edge, Washington

5f4b1bf694e46.image.jpg?resize=945,630

The Titans liked his scheme versatility, play strength, and natural bend.  He was believed to be an ascending player before opting out of 2020.  His pro comp was DeMarcus Lawrence.

The Titans also re-signed DT Daquan Jones.

• Like 1

With the 85th pick, the Titans drafted Kelvin Joseph, CB, Kentucky.

usa_today_15079953.jpg

Long, sticky, cover corner with ball skills, who Mel Kiper lists as a fringe first rounder.

With pick 100, the Titans drafted Hunter Long, TE, Boston College:

boston-college-player-to-watch-hunter-lo

Long is a big, lanky corner with blocking ability and soft hands.  Not the most athletic, but he makes contested catches with his size, and has a long frame that can be filled out more in an NFL strength and conditioning program.

The Titans also signed ILB/S Mark Barron, and re-signed Matt Overton, Jamil Douglas, Matt Dickerson, and in an effort to keep The Boys intact, Will Compton.

On 2/27/2021 at 12:19 AM, TJM217 said:

😁😁😁

They're we go!! Im big on Tryon. Great fit. Nixion I like. Im meh on him in the 1st round but cant complain. 

Yeah, we had two deals to trade down in the first that fell through, and weren’t around when we were OTC. He was at the top of the DL board for us after Paye, and we knew Tryon would be an option in the second, so we pulled the trigger.

The only other Edge on the board we were as high on was Jones, and he went I think two picks before us in Round 2.

Edited by Daniel
  • Like 2

With pick 125, the Titans drafted Cam Sample, Edge, Tulane:

cameron-sample-nfl-draft-player-profile-

Sample had a great week at the Senior Bowl, blowing through O-linemen (even winning reps against Tennessee's Trey Smith) and notching two sacks in the game itself, earning him Defensive MVP honors.  Sample had questionable production in college, but checks all the boxes for size, bend, power, and pass rush moves in the Senior Bowl tape.

He joins a much improved front seven for the Titans.

The Titans also brought back free agent Brooks Reed, and signed Tajae Sharpe in free agency.

Edited by Daniel
  • Like 1

Aw man I missed the other picks. 

Love the Hunter Long Pick. If we are not keeping Junno and we run the same Offense this is a great pick. 

Kelvin Joseph is tough. He shouldnt see the field at all next year and just spend that time learning how to play CB. Its tough because this is such a bad CB class and we ask from our CB. Unless you grab a top 2-3 CB in this class there is some major flaws.

Did you cut Adoree or Butler?

Oh Cam Sample. I love it!! I had him in one of my mock off seasons. Played 4-3 DE. Has the body of a 43DT but I think can play 3-4DE for the titans. Definitely a pass rusher and tore up the senior bowl. 

Edited by TJM217

4 hours ago, TJM217 said:

Aw man I missed the other picks. 

Love the Hunter Long Pick. If we are not keeping Junno and we run the same Offense this is a great pick. 

Kelvin Joseph is tough. He shouldnt see the field at all next year and just spend that time learning how to play CB. Its tough because this is such a bad CB class and we ask from our CB. Unless you grab a top 2-3 CB in this class there is some major flaws.

Did you cut Adoree or Butler?

Oh Cam Sample. I love it!! I had him in one of my mock off seasons. Played 4-3 DE. Has the body of a 43DT but I think can play 3-4DE for the titans. Definitely a pass rusher and tore up the senior bowl. 

Thanks, a big tight end that can block and catch would help if Jonnu can't be resigned.  Long fit the profile.

Yeah, we felt he was a developmental guy, more to see if he can help replace Jackson or Butler next season, or at least soften the blow of one of them not being around. Our original target there was Paulson Adebo. We kept both Butler and Jackson because they're good players, and we didn't want to get rid of them unless we had to.  I think the Titans IRL try to do the same.

Sample I couldn't find much tape on outside of the Senior Bowl, so we were wary in the first few picks.  But his Senior Bowl tape alongside guys like Roche and Basham is great, and he blew up the game.  That at least warrants a fourth rounder, though we were hoping Roche slipped to us, but he was taken three picks before ours.

With the 166th pick, the Titans drafted Tony Fields, LB, West Virginia:

WVU-Football-Tony-Fields-Front-1-696x531

Fields is the kind of small, shifty linebacker that the Titans have had success grooming in the past. He joins a deep ILB group, and may get looks at strong safety.

With the 186th pick, the Titans drafted Jose Borregales, K, Miami:

1184510672.jpg.0.jpg

He was the top kicker on the Titans’ board, and they didn’t want to gamble on UDFA and have a repeat of 2020.

Edited by Daniel

Titans wrap up their free agency by signing the following players in undrafted free agency:

Brenden Knox, RB, Marshall
Tre Nixon, WR, UCF
Brett Heggie, C, Florida
Carson Green, OT, TAMU
Earnest Brown, DE, Northwestern
Dante Stills, DT, WVU
Rayshard Ashby, ILB, Virginia Tech
Tre Norwood, CB, Oklahoma
Aashari Crosswell, S, Arizona St