Post-Stafford Trade Salary Cap Status

Just Want A Title

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/detroit-lions/cap/
Spotrac is already showing Goff on the Lions cap page and has you having $12.8 rollover from 2020 added to the projected $175 salary cap or $187.8 million in “cap space”. 

Also the Top 51 salary is in effect ($179 million in active salaries + $19 million in dead cap or $198 million) leaves you almost $11 million over the cap. 

9 minutes ago, Wyld Stallyns said:

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/detroit-lions/cap/
Spotrac is already showing Goff on the Lions cap page and has you having $12.8 rollover from 2020 added to the projected $175 salary cap or $187.8 million in “cap space”. 

Also the Top 51 salary is in effect ($179 million in active salaries + $19 million in dead cap or $198 million) leaves you almost $11 million over the cap. 

Disgusting 

That's why roster cuts are going to be important this season.

Trufant $6.1 million savings

Coleman $5 million savings

Nick Williams $4.7 million savings

Danny Shelton $4 million savings

Joe Dahl $3 million savings (almost)

None of these guys are in our long term plans, and Lions can add $23 million in cap savings by cutting just these 5 players. 

59 minutes ago, Louis Friend said:

That's why roster cuts are going to be important this season.

Trufant $6.1 million savings

Coleman $5 million savings

Nick Williams $4.7 million savings

Danny Shelton $4 million savings

Joe Dahl $3 million savings (almost)

None of these guys are in our long term plans, and Lions can add $23 million in cap savings by cutting just these 5 players. 

That sounds great and all but thats 5 starters we need replace too though.  Albeit they are not great starters, they were the best we had, and likely will not get a whole lot better for less money.  But I am all for moving on from these guys. 

1 hour ago, Sllim Pickens said:

That sounds great and all but thats 5 starters we need replace too though.  Albeit they are not great starters, they were the best we had, and likely will not get a whole lot better for less money.  But I am all for moving on from these guys. 

None of them started all season. Shelton/Williams played/started the most, and our DL was atrocious with zero pressure up front. 

Trufant played in 6 games/started 6 games.

Coleman played in 11 games/started 5 games.

Nick Williams played in 14 games/started 13 games.

Danny Shelton played in 12 games/started 12 games.

Joe Dahl played in 9 games/ started 4 games.

We've already had to replace them throughout the season. I don't see moving on for them for 4-6 game starts is going to hamper an already bad/rebuilding team. 

2 hours ago, Sllim Pickens said:

Obviously don’t know all your posters here yet, and how well versed you all are with the contracts cap situation stuff, but its one of my favorite things to dig into. So I plan on studying it all soon to see what the full situation is, and what moves are possible. Looks like a good recap of some obvious moves by @Louis Friend

My biggest thing that Ive said around the forums is, its all going to come down to what the Salary Cap really is. The $175m number everyone is using will be the absolute floor for 2021. I’m under the belief that it will not be that low, because the owners of the “contenders” and the “big market” teams aren’t going to let this one year gut their rosters. And with the new TV rights coming up after this year, I think they borrow from future years Cap Dollars to keep the 2021 Cap relatively flat to the current number. (Possibly keeping the cap flat for not only ‘21, but maybe even ‘22 and ‘23 to make up the lost dollars of 2020)

Other than re-structuring Jared Goff's contract, the the players who are not worth their contract are Halapoulivaati Vaitai, Jamie Collins and Jesse James.  Vaitai and Collins are probably going to cost more to cut but Jesse James might be someone we should consider cutting.  The only big-money contract left to re-structure is Trey Flowers.  If the website below is accurate, it is pretty insightful.

https://overthecap.com/salary-cap/detroit-lions/

Edited by Just Want A Title

1 hour ago, Just Want A Title said:

Other than re-structuring Jared Goff's contract, the the players who are not worth their contract are Halapoulivaati Vaitai, Jamie Collins and Jesse James.  Vaitai and Collins are probably going to cost more to cut but Jesse James might be someone we should consider cutting.  The only big-money contract left to re-structure is Trey Flowers.  If the website below is accurate, it is pretty insightful.

package deal for all three..maybe a 4th or 5th this year and 3rd next year. who could they sucker for that one lol

1 hour ago, Just Want A Title said:

Appreciate the heads up on other contracts worth looking into

And trust me, OTC and Spotrac are permanent open tabs on my browser

5 hours ago, Sllim Pickens said:

what do you mean? when were they on the field???? lol