Official 2021 OL Thread

goldfishwars

On 3/21/2021 at 9:35 PM, NoDakViking said:

I've seen many project Slater to Guard rather than Tackle, but I heard one suggestion of Jalen Mayfield to guard this week?  Said he has a higher projection there.

Thoughts?

I see Mayfield as a lump of clay. If he goes to a good OL coach, he'll succeed at about any position along the line. He's tough, smart, strong, and athletic. He's also only 20. I don't see why he couldn't succeed at OG, but I'd try to make him a LT before anything else. 

On 3/21/2021 at 9:35 PM, NoDakViking said:

I've seen many project Slater to Guard rather than Tackle, but I heard one suggestion of Jalen Mayfield to guard this week?  Said he has a higher projection there.

Thoughts?

I'd keep him at tackle until he shows he can't do it.  The feet are there, so I don't have any issues with his ability to play tackle in the NFL.

On 3/22/2021 at 9:22 PM, Rich7sena said:

What game did you watch that brought you to those conclusions? I'm a huge Cosmi fan.

I don't think he's wrong.  Maybe a tad critical, but not wrong.  From a technique standpoint, he's going to have issues with veterans who have an array of pass rush moves because right now he's relying on pure athleticism.  But that's why you're really intrigued by him because he's got the tools to be an elite OT, but you're going to have to trust your coaching staff.

On 3/24/2021 at 8:48 AM, goldfishwars said:

According to DJ on his podcast, Verah-Tucker is going top 15 - he says he's very confident about that. 

Wouldn't surprise me.  I wasn't really impressed by his OT tape, but showing that kind of positional versailtity even if it's only RT/OG should help boost your value.  He's a top 20 pick IMO.

11 minutes ago, CWood21 said:

I don't think he's wrong.  Maybe a tad critical, but not wrong.  From a technique standpoint, he's going to have issues with veterans who have an array of pass rush moves because right now he's relying on pure athleticism.  But that's why you're really intrigued by him because he's got the tools to be an elite OT, but you're going to have to trust your coaching staff.

I really don't see an issue with his technique. I'm also smart enough know that I don't know what counts as deficient technique.

From looking at the top tackles in the NFL, there doesn't seem to be any one way to skin a cat when it comes to playing tackle--they all do things differently. From that standpoint, Cosmi looks pretty polished to me. My biggest concern is strength in the run game. He doesn't displace guys as well as I would like.

1 hour ago, Rich7sena said:

I really don't see an issue with his technique. I'm also smart enough know that I don't know what counts as deficient technique.

From looking at the top tackles in the NFL, there doesn't seem to be any one way to skin a cat when it comes to playing tackle--they all do things differently. From that standpoint, Cosmi looks pretty polished to me. My biggest concern is strength in the run game. He doesn't displace guys as well as I would like.

My issue with Cosmi is more with his strength. He has some minor technical flaws, but I am concerned with his ability to anchor. He's a high-cut guy (high center of gravity) whose anchor and core strength both look suspect. He'll have to get stronger in the NFL. Otherwise, guys are going to bully him.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, jrry32 said:

My issue with Cosmi is more with his strength. He has some minor technical flaws, but I am concerned with his ability to anchor. He's a high-cut guy (high center of gravity) whose anchor and core strength both look suspect. He'll have to get stronger in the NFL. Otherwise, guys are going to bully him.

I don't see an anchor problem in pass protection. I think he's pretty evenly cut and has a thick lower half.

11 minutes ago, Rich7sena said:

I don't see an anchor problem in pass protection. I think he's pretty evenly cut and has a thick lower half.

I'm with Jrry on this one. One of my biggest issues with Cosmi is an anchor. I think he's going to get owned on bull rushes. Feel like he needs a stronger base and core. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, CWood21 said:

I'd keep him at tackle until he shows he can't do it.  The feet are there, so I don't have any issues with his ability to play tackle in the NFL.

Yep. Guys like that I will almost always fail them at tackle first, but draft them with an interior projection

53 minutes ago, Rich7sena said:

I should also note that when I say "high cut," I don't mean he has a thin lower half. I mean he's a bit leggy and has a high center of gravity. Some tall guys have long torsos relative to their height, which allows them to maintain a lower center of gravity. Cosmi isn't one of those guys. 

On 3/25/2021 at 9:15 AM, CWood21 said:

Wouldn't surprise me.  I wasn't really impressed by his OT tape, but showing that kind of positional versailtity even if it's only RT/OG should help boost your value.  He's a top 20 pick IMO.

That's one of my favorite potential guys at #17 for the Raiders. Start him at RT but if he struggles we can slide him inside to RG and play Denzelle Good at RT.