Official 2021 OL Thread

goldfishwars

What does Creed Humphrey's Pro Day tell us about him....he is more athletic than he is given credit for or he doesn't play to his athletic measurables?

The 6-foot-4, 302-pound Humphrey’s least impressive number — the 5.09 seconds he ran in the 40-yard dash — still would have ranked 12th out of the 40 offensive linemen who ran the 40 at last year’s NFL Scouting Combine.

In every other discipline — the vertical jump (33 inches), the broad jump (112 inches), the bench press (29 reps), the 3-cone drill (7.54 seconds) and the 5-10-5 shuttle (4.46 seconds), Humphrey’s numbers Friday would have ranked in the top five among the 52 total offensive linemen who attended last year’s combine in Indianapolis.

His shuttle drill — which was faster Friday than OU defensive back Tre Norwood’s 4.50 — would have ranked first among all offensive linemen at the 2020 combine.

https://www.si.com/college/oklahoma/football/creed-humphreys-monster-pro-day-performance-was-like-watching-frankenstien

Edited by nicfre2011

27 minutes ago, nicfre2011 said:

What does Creed Humphrey's Pro Day tell us about him....he is more athletic than he is given credit for or he doesn't play to his athletic measurables?

The 6-foot-4, 302-pound Humphrey’s least impressive number — the 5.09 seconds he ran in the 40-yard dash — still would have ranked 12th out of the 40 offensive linemen who ran the 40 at last year’s NFL Scouting Combine.

In every other discipline — the vertical jump (33 inches), the broad jump (112 inches), the bench press (29 reps), the 3-cone drill (7.54 seconds) and the 5-10-5 shuttle (4.46 seconds), Humphrey’s numbers Friday would have ranked in the top five among the 52 total offensive linemen who attended last year’s combine in Indianapolis.

His shuttle drill — which was faster Friday than OU defensive back Tre Norwood’s 4.50 — would have ranked first among all offensive linemen at the 2020 combine.

https://www.si.com/college/oklahoma/football/creed-humphreys-monster-pro-day-performance-was-like-watching-frankenstien

Nice! Love this kid. Eager to see where he starts his NFL career. 

3 hours ago, nicfre2011 said:

Been a top 20 player for me for a while now. He's going to make someone's interior alot easier to build around for a decade plus.

21 hours ago, Rodjahs12 said:

Been a top 20 player for me for a while now. He's going to make someone's interior alot easier to build around for a decade plus.

But do you think he's going to go top 20?  IF you view him as a pure C type, that's going to drastically hurt his value.  I believe we've only seen 2 pure centers go in the first round since 2005.  I don't think that's going to change this year.  I think he ends up going somewhere in that 35-45 range.

49 minutes ago, CWood21 said:

But do you think he's going to go top 20?  IF you view him as a pure C type, that's going to drastically hurt his value.  I believe we've only seen 2 pure centers go in the first round since 2005.  I don't think that's going to change this year.  I think he ends up going somewhere in that 35-45 range.

I think you're absolutely right about where he'll land. I do view him as a center only not because he's incapable of kicking out to guard but because I don't believe in moving interior lineman around who have elite potential at the spot they're most comfortable in. CH is that guy for me and I'm probably the only guy in the Packers forum who would be more than fine with him at 29.

Has anyone watched any tape from Trey Hill in 2019? I read a scouting report of his that said he had bad knee bend. I think you can excuse that issue because he had a torn meniscus in both knees. I'm not a big film guy, but I know we do have some. I'd just like to see how his knee bend was the year before. 

On 4/14/2021 at 6:50 AM, goldfishwars said:

Some short arms in this tackles class. Teams who might have been looking at mid tier tackles to fill out those spots, might have to look harder.

Honest question, and I have no answer.  How long has 34" arms been the standard?

I ask due to the advances in athletic nutrition over the past decade.  Gone are the days of processed foods full of hormones.  Are we beginning to see slight decreases in overall sizes for people?  I'm old enough to remember 5'9" being the average male height, and now it is close to 6', presumably due to a forty plus year run of fast food becoming a staple in American diets.  Are we starting to witness the trend reverse itself?

On 4/2/2021 at 7:55 AM, BowlesDawgDX said:

Brett Kollmann likes Jenkins a lot. Here's his video if anyone is interested/haven't seen it yet

Kollmann says his use of the Jaws theme caused YouTube to demonetize the video, and it cost him about $6000 bucks. Ouch.

But I don't disagree much about his comments.

Slater and Jenkins both do great jobs neutralizing their average length arms. Sewell also has the same length arms but he is so wide his wingspan comes from his chest.

Edited by Techbert

I'll say it. Penei Sewell should go to guard and stay there. An all-world guard wins more games than people realize. He'll be a very good tackle in real life and may be a guard for like half a year, but I would move him inside and leave him there and settle for a good but not elite left tackle instead of the reverse.

Techbert,
knows no one would agree

8 hours ago, Techbert said:

I'll say it. Penei Sewell should go to guard and stay there. An all-world guard wins more games than people realize. He'll be a very good tackle in real life and may be a guard for like half a year, but I would move him inside and leave him there and settle for a good but not elite left tackle instead of the reverse.

Techbert,
knows no one would agree

To my knowledge, Sewell came to Oregon as a guard recruit and then went to left tackle. I think he has @20 games at left tackle under his belt, so there’s definitely some rawness to his game. I think he plays the game like a guard still at times. I don’t think he’s the nimblest with his footwork, he gets out over his skis at times, and his aggressive nature can be used against him particularly on inside counters.  He also has length concerns.  I’ve heard wild comps with Sewell to guys like Jonathan Ogden, I think that’s crazy.  I’m willing to bet if he starts at LT day one, he’ll struggle his first year. That being said, he’s only 20 with a lot of tools to work with.  Worst case scenario, he doesn’t cut it outside and I think you have an all pro guard, but obviously I’d let him fail on the outside first.  

12 minutes ago, BoltsFan937 said:

To my knowledge, Sewell came to Oregon as a guard recruit and then went to left tackle. I think he has @20 games at left tackle under his belt, so there’s definitely some rawness to his game. I think he plays the game like a guard still at times. I don’t think he’s the nimblest with his footwork, he gets out over his skis at times, and his aggressive nature can be used against him particularly on inside counters.  He also has length concerns.  I’ve heard wild comps with Sewell to guys like Jonathan Ogden, I think that’s crazy.  I’m willing to bet if he starts at LT day one, he’ll struggle his first year. That being said, he’s only 20 with a lot of tools to work with.  Worst case scenario, he doesn’t cut it outside and I think you have an all pro guard, but obviously I’d let him fail on the outside first.  

Oh, he'll cut it on the outside. I just think OG is is natural position. Magic Johnson could have cut it at forward, and if the NBA thought forward was more important than guard, which no one is saying, they would have played him at forward.

I think an all-world guard is more impactful than people realize. Indy was crap before Quenton Nelson, crap during his 6 games he started but was still learning, and a contender ever since with Nelson there. Larry Allen... Cowboys had their worst season when Larry Allen went down. Steve Huchinson... Seattle was better with Steve, and then Minnesota was better with Steve. New England improved after they got John Hannah.

Let me name two players with long careers that never won in the NFL: Anthony Munoz and Joe Thomas.

7 minutes ago, Techbert said:

Let me name two players with long careers that never won in the NFL: Anthony Munoz and Joe Thomas.

Anthony Munoz played in two super bowls, hardly comparable to Joe Thomas' career.  If you are going to say only people that were on Super Bowl winning teams won, then your list can be much much much longer than those two.

37 minutes ago, THE DUKE said:

Anthony Munoz played in two super bowls, hardly comparable to Joe Thomas' career.  If you are going to say only people that were on Super Bowl winning teams won, then your list can be much much much longer than those two.

I exaggerated, but Munoz was on some dog teams. My point is those two labored a lot of losing seasons through no fault of their own.

I believe LOT does not win you games. LOT prevents disaster. I believe OG can win you games. That is not a popular opinion, but I hold it. the LG can bail out crap from the LT but the LT rarely rarely rarely bails out a bad LG. Art Shell shined at winning, rather than just avoiding disaster, but his teams won cuz he had Gene Upshaw beside him. The Raiders ran left because they had both of them.

OG is tip of the spear for strong inside running games and can help you get third and short in a way a tackle cannot. OG who can move can become the tip of the spear for a strong outside running game. On pass pro they provide a window where the quarterback does not have to worry about quick inside pressure, and that is nice.  They can only block who is in front of them, so the defenses do not try them if they are great. That gives OG's with mobility and vision like Nelson to help out. So Nelson as an example can help neutralize three of a front four and be johnny on the spot for inside blitzes. That's what he does, and Rivers would have been chopped sushi without him this year.

Meanwhile, a LT can neutralize one rusher who is usually the other side's best pass rusher but not always. I would argue that in today's NFL RT is more critical than LT cuz the pass rushers are just as good plus teams expect to be able to run right. But we are still hung up on the blind side thing. A quarterback should not have a blind side.

You remember Jerry Kramer and the tackle who played next to him. I bet you could not name the dynasty Packer LT. Bob Skoronski, by the way.

A good guard does not help you win, but a great guard does.

So I say Sewell would be an amazing guard out of respect.

Edited by Techbert