Official 2021 OL Thread

goldfishwars

4 minutes ago, MOSteelers56 said:

Leatherwood is such a love/hate prospect. 

Leatherwood at the back end of the first is much better value than AVT in the mid-first.

Although, I also thought Austin Jackson and Josh Jones in the late first would be better value than Becton in the top half of the first.

11 minutes ago, Ragnarok said:

Leatherwood at the back end of the first is much better value than AVT in the mid-first.

Although, I also thought Austin Jackson and Josh Jones in the late first would be better value than Becton in the top half of the first.

I would love to take him at 24. I think he’d be a considerable improvement over Villanueva for the Steelers. I get big Marvel Smith vibes. 

2 hours ago, MOSteelers56 said:

Leatherwood is such a love/hate prospect. 

Not sure what there is to hate about him, a versatile OL who can play multiple positions and has done so at a high level.  Is tall and long but yeah I view him more as a OG at this point with great length but could play RT if asked to.  Still I have him rated a lot higher than others do, the kid has been elite and has played at a very high level since his true SOPH year, even was a decent player as a true freshman.  There is not much to dislike about him, what he does not run a 4.9 40, yeah probably but so what honestly.  

Guy had 41 consecutive starts, played 832 snaps during COVID-19 pandemic season, allowed two sacks, missed three assignments, committed just five penalties and surrendered three QB hurries and four pressures all season.  Was 1st team All SEC, 1st team All American and yeah was probably playing out of position all season.  

12 hours ago, Ragnarok said:

Depends what scheme you're running, sure would be the case if you run a lot of man/power. Predominant ZBS should have AVT rated very highly, although I think he's more versatile. 

Can someone tell me what I’m missing on Eichenburg? I keep watching film on this kid, looking for a reason to downgrade him and I just can’t.  I have Sewell and Slater (awaiting measurements) at the top of the tackle class, but after that I can’t make  a strong argument for anyone over Eichenburg. I like him as much as Darrisaw, what am I not seeing? 

Edited by BoltsFan937

18 minutes ago, BoltsFan937 said:

Can someone tell me what I’m missing on Eichenburg? I keep watching film on this kid, looking for a reason to downgrade him and I just can’t.  I have Sewell and Slater (awaiting measurements) at the top of the tackle class, but after that I can’t make  a strong argument for anyone over Eichenburg. I like him as much as Darrisaw, what am I not seeing? 

Age?

1 hour ago, BoltsFan937 said:

He turned 23 back in January, I can’t imagine that being an issue.  For comparison, do we know an age on Darrisaw? I couldn’t find one, but rooting through his path at VT, I’d have to assume he’s at least 22 going on 23

I put a question mark because that’s the only thing I could think of. I like him as a prospect.

On 2/10/2021 at 10:04 PM, Ozzy said:

Guy had 41 consecutive starts, played 832 snaps during COVID-19 pandemic season, allowed two sacks, missed three assignments, committed just five penalties and surrendered three QB hurries and four pressures all season.  Was 1st team All SEC, 1st team All American and yeah was probably playing out of position all season.  

Well if that doesn’t tell you why the guys overrated nothing will.  4 pressures? Are you kidding me!?! Drop him down the boards! He sucks!

jk.... yeah you nailed it the kids shown it on the field in SEC for a few years and might not be a NFL LT but could play RT at high level.  If you can snag him late round 1 or even top of round 2 you’ve got a steal.

15 hours ago, BoltsFan937 said:

Eichenberg is undervalued simply because he’s not average athlete relative to being a top 45 pick OT.  People underrated how strong he is... ND players are almost always strong as a bull.  They might not destroy bench press or test with insane numbers but that Strength coach as them ready for NFL.

5 minutes ago, jimkelly02 said:

Well if that doesn’t tell you why the guys overrated nothing will.  4 pressures? Are you kidding me!?! Drop him down the boards! He sucks!

jk.... yeah you nailed it the kids shown it on the field in SEC for a few years and might not be a NFL LT but could play RT at high level.  If you can snag him late round 1 or even top of round 2 you’ve got a steal.

I view Leatherwood as a OG in the NFL but could play RT or LT if someone goes down.  Versatility is not a bad thing and he measured out with a huge wingspan at the senior bowl at 85 3/8th which was 3rd overall and the most of any OL there.  Of the guys who played multiple OL positions in college in this draft, notable Vera-Tucker, Royce Newman when considering guys who played OG and OT, Leatherwood played the most of any of those guys and at the highest level spending considerable time at guard as a sophomore and LT those other years.  Started in that championship game against Georgia as a true freshman at LT when Jonah Williams got hurt.  

But sure he might time out in 5.2+ 40 time so he stinks at playing football.

PS I feel Rashawn Slater, Dillon Radunz and Samuel Cosmi might do pretty well in the 40 at the pro days, but will see.  Stone Forsythe is getting crazy underrated in this process, the dude is a mountain and can really bend for a big guy and has good feet.  Huge upside with him and could be a late round steal.  

16 hours ago, BoltsFan937 said:

Eichenburg could end up being a steal no question about it.  

With guys like Dillon Radunz and Spencer Brown doing well in the Senior Bowl, they are like the new kids on the block.  Smaller school guys but have played great recently and have clearly not played all season long.  Also Walker Little has so much potential but was hurt most of this season.  So those three alone could knock Liam down, same with Jalen Mayfield taking the shine along with Jackson Carman.  Then there is Cosmi who most will love athletically.  So he could drop no question about it but could be a very solid starting OT for many years no doubt.

Athletically he is not dominating but has been consistent for awhile, then again that entire Notre Dame OL is solid but none of them are real super star guys but they all worked so well together as a group but also benefited from having such a solid group across the board.  Hainsey, Banks, Eichenburg and Kraemer will all be drafted this year in the NFL draft off that team and all could become fine pros but none are your typical 1st round talent either.