Official 2021 OL Thread

goldfishwars

17 hours ago, BoltsFan937 said:

Can someone tell me what I’m missing on Eichenburg? I keep watching film on this kid, looking for a reason to downgrade him and I just can’t.  I have Sewell and Slater (awaiting measurements) at the top of the tackle class, but after that I can’t make  a strong argument for anyone over Eichenburg. I like him as much as Darrisaw, what am I not seeing? 

Eichenberg is solid. He reminds me of Riley Reiff. He likely won't ever be a top LT, but he should be a quality starter somewhere on the OL. Could be a solid LT. The problem with him is that he has a couple reps each game where he just gets whipped. There are going to be some guys in the NFL who have the tools to give him some major problems. But outside of those games against top pass rushers, he should be a consistent, reliable player.

• Like 2

On 2/13/2021 at 6:34 PM, jrry32 said:

Eichenberg is solid. He reminds me of Riley Reiff. He likely won't ever be a top LT, but he should be a quality starter somewhere on the OL. Could be a solid LT. The problem with him is that he has a couple reps each game where he just gets whipped. There are going to be some guys in the NFL who have the tools to give him some major problems. But outside of those games against top pass rushers, he should be a consistent, reliable player.

I had the same Riley Reiff comp in my head for LE.... although I’m not big on doing “comps”. People get far to Critical about them IMO.

I really would love for him to fall to the Raiders in round 2.... we need to cut the tub of lard that is Trent Brown.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, jimkelly02 said:

I had the same Riley Reiff comp in my head for LE.... although I’m not big on doing “comps”. People get far to Critical about them IMO.

I really would love for him to fall to the Raiders in round 2.... we need to cut the tub of lard that is Trent Brown.

I like to do comps because I think it helps paint a clearer picture of how I see them. But yes, people can be anal about it.

Just now, jrry32 said:

I like to do comps because I think it helps paint a clearer picture of how I see them. But yes, people can be anal about it.

I agree... I see them as an excellent way to project the level of play or career to expect from a player... but I just don’t do them because some people think comp means “clone” and no two players are identical.  That’s just my pet peeve so I tend to avoid them.

Eichenberg isn’t the natural athlete the top guys are. He doesn’t have that explosive power that Sewell, Slater and Darrisaw have.

He is just so fundamentally sound and plays with such great aggression and consistency.

Riley Rieff is a solid comp. Jordan Gross formerly of the Panthers was one that also jumped out at me.

3 hours ago, WindyCity said:

Eichenberg isn’t the natural athlete the top guys are. He doesn’t have that explosive power that Sewell, Slater and Darrisaw have.

He is just so fundamentally sound and plays with such great aggression and consistency.

Riley Rieff is a solid comp. Jordan Gross formerly of the Panthers was one that also jumped out at me.

Yeah, good points.

@BoltsFan937 The only thing I can spot is sometimes he reaches and over extends. A skilled pass rusher would give him the push/pull and Eichenberg will be on his face. But otherwise he's sound, and his diagnosis in particular looks great. Hard to stunt him.

• Like 1

On 2/13/2021 at 5:52 PM, MOSteelers56 said:

What are the thoughts on Cosmi? He’s very athletic.

3 or 4 years ago I would have told you he doesn't have enough anchor or raw strength. However, similar prospects like Kolton Miller and Brian O'Neill have developed into very good tackles. I think Cosmi is cut from the same cloth. He's a first rounder in my book and one of my favorites for the Raiders at 17.

6 hours ago, Rich7sena said:

3 or 4 years ago I would have told you he doesn't have enough anchor or raw strength. However, similar prospects like Kolton Miller and Brian O'Neill have developed into very good tackles. I think Cosmi is cut from the same cloth. He's a first rounder in my book and one of my favorites for the Raiders at 17.

I think he's better as a G, right?

On 2/14/2021 at 11:26 PM, WindyCity said:

You had me until the Gross comparison...

• Like 1

On 2/13/2021 at 4:52 PM, MOSteelers56 said:

What are the thoughts on Cosmi? He’s very athletic.

Probably the most raw athleticism of the OL in this year's class, but there's no sand in his pants so to speak.  He's probably not going to be much of a run blocker.

2 minutes ago, CWood21 said:

Probably the most raw athleticism of the OL in this year's class, but there's no sand in his pants so to speak.  He's probably not going to be much of a run blocker.

I agree with this.  He reminds me of a poor man's Kolton Miller.

Could become one of the better pass protectors as a LT, but will probably never become a top tier run blocker.

On 2/13/2021 at 12:05 AM, BoltsFan937 said:

Can someone tell me what I’m missing on Eichenburg? I keep watching film on this kid, looking for a reason to downgrade him and I just can’t.  I have Sewell and Slater (awaiting measurements) at the top of the tackle class, but after that I can’t make  a strong argument for anyone over Eichenburg. I like him as much as Darrisaw, what am I not seeing? 

You're not really missing much.  He's your classic plug 'n play RT.  You're going to pencil him in for the next decade, and he's going to be a stalwart for you.  But he's going to have his issues with elite athletes at EDGE.  The feet aren't good enough to be an elite pass protector.

2 minutes ago, Ragnarok said:

I agree with this.  He reminds me of a poor man's Kolton Miller.

Could become one of the better pass protectors as a LT, but will probably never become a top tier run blocker.

Kolton Miller was a really good prospect who got routinely dumped on.  In the same mold, but I really think there are concerns that Cosmi won't weigh in at 300+.