2021 7 Round Mock Edited 4/13/21

Ozzy

2 hours ago, MOSteelers56 said:

I’ve never see Bolton going that low. If it happened, and he went to the Steelers, I’d be overjoyed.

Yeah I think Bolton is being a little overrated in the process.  KJ Britt is a far better player as a ILB, so is Monty Rice when healthy, Paddy Fisher and maybe even Cameron McGrone.  And Dylan Moses I can see dropping because teams are scared of him in coverage but he could be a steal in the middle rounds in the right system.  Browning is also a better overall LB than Bolton who could play ILB but doubt he will and will probably be a OLB. 

There has just been a ton of very productive Missouri inside backers over the past few years and none have really become great players in the NFL.  Kentrell Brothers for one, Cale Garrett is one, Michael Scherer is another, Terez Hall I liked a lot and he was a UDFA and actually is better in his first year than all three of those other guys who had huge tackle numbers at Missouri.  Bolton is promising just not sure he deserves to be a 2nd round pick.

Hate the Steelers draft.   Not that its completely unrealistic, but I would hate it.

Not a fan of first round centers typically unless its a special prospect.   We need a RB but we have too many other needs to take one early IMO.    LB is arguably our strongest position.   We need depth, but this draft ignores our biggest needs.    I know we wont be able to draft everything we need in one draft, but C, RB and 2 LBs over a LT, CB, TE, QB and NT is a tough pill to swallow.   If it were a combo, I could live with it (like LT, C, CB and ILB), Id be better with it....but as it stands Id hate this draft.

BUT, the Steelers front office has done stuff like this before, so it wouldnt shock me if it happened.

Edited by 43M

Just now, 43M said:

Hate the Steelers draft.   Not that its completely unrealistic, but I would hate it.

Not a fan of first round centers typically unless its a special prospect.   We need a RB but we have too many other needs to take one early IMO.    LB is arguably our strongest position.   We need depth, but this draft ignores our biggest needs.    I know we wont be able to draft everything we need in one draft, but C, RB and 2 LBs over a LT, CB, TE, QB and NT is a tough pill to swallow.   If it were a combo, I could live with it (like LT, C, CB and ILB), Id be better with it....but as it stands Id hate this draft.

BUT, the Steelers front office has done stuff like this before, so it wouldnt shock me if it happened.

I might have one too many LBs for them sure, but Anthony has legit 3/4 edge ability and he could also be a ILB as well and once Dupree went down that team clearly sucked after that or was greatly changed  And the inside guys I have never really liked outside of Bush.  Williams is just ok, and so is Spillane, same with Williamson.  Hard to explain the collapse they had this year though, maybe it was the OL or maybe it was just Big Ben not being that good.  

CB makes sense but I am surprised Layne and Sutton have not taken over Nelson as the start.  Nelson sucks and Haden gets hurt way too much.  Hilton is a legit slot when in there.  Possibly a new CB would help.  

J. Williams they would be lucky to get him, he is legit and would really help that run game.  Conner is good and Snell has ability so does McFarland and Samuel but none are great players or have shown the ability to be consistently great.  Maybe they should go WR but really depends on who they sign and who they let go.  Say Wormley and Alualu are both not signed they DL is a major need all of a sudden.  

Most I did off memory of the roster and I might need to look into the roster and free agents they might let go.  Still that roster is pretty legit, some positions go four deep but obviously they crapped the bed big time this year, and really if Big Ben has lost it then does not really matter what the others can do if they do not have a great QB.  If that defense is not lights out which they were not 2nd half of the season with the injuries, they are not a great team.  On paper though they had a lot of depth this past year, but some of that could go away after free agency.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Superduperman said:

The Lions, a team who is rebuilding and has to pressure to win in 2021, passes on Zach Wilson at #7, to then turn around and draft Ian Book?

True, but if that is the case why the hell did they trade for Jared Goff then?  Why get Zach Wilson and start him so you can pay Goff what $25 mil a year to sit on the bench?  Even after Wilson's rookie contract if it is a three year deal, there is a chance Goff would still be under contract the next year for $26 mil.  

Getting a QB great but with their 1st pick overall, would be interesting sure but if they dislike Goff that much why did they get him then?  Clearly there is a connection between Goff and the current Lions GM who was with the Rams when they drafted him.  

3 hours ago, Ozzy said:

Yeah I think Bolton is being a little overrated in the process.  KJ Britt is a far better player as a ILB, so is Monty Rice when healthy, Paddy Fisher and maybe even Cameron McGrone.  And Dylan Moses I can see dropping because teams are scared of him in coverage but he could be a steal in the middle rounds in the right system.  Browning is also a better overall LB than Bolton who could play ILB but doubt he will and will probably be a OLB. 

There has just been a ton of very productive Missouri inside backers over the past few years and none have really become great players in the NFL.  Kentrell Brothers for one, Cale Garrett is one, Michael Scherer is another, Terez Hall I liked a lot and he was a UDFA and actually is better in his first year than all three of those other guys who had huge tackle numbers at Missouri.  Bolton is promising just not sure he deserves to be a 2nd round pick.

I looked a little at Bolton after I saw your mock. I think he showed considerably more potential in 2019 than he did last year. He was a missile 2 years ago. Not as great last year. 

Very solid draft for the Titans.  I could nitpick about this prospect over that (Marvin Wilson sucks), but everyone's rankings are different.  A little high for Azeez, for my taste, but he's a good scheme fit for what the team needs.

I will say I question the fifth round pick of a RB.  Titans had an excellent stable of RBs behind Henry this year, and just spent a third on Darrynton Evans.  Don't know if they have the roster space for another one.

They will still have holes in the front seven, even with their first two picks there.  Doubling up on Edge or DL, or taking an ILB or IOL would make more sense.

On 2/1/2021 at 6:42 PM, Ozzy said:

29 Green Bay: Caleb Farley Virginia Tech RS JR CB

IF Farley is there, you run that pick up to the podium in a heartbeat.  He's a top 10 pick if he played this year.

62 Green Bay: Michael Carter UNC SR RB

The Packers drafted AJ Dillon in the 2nd round, it's probably a bit early to draft another RB that high especially when Dillon looked good in limited time.  There's a slew of good CBs if the Packers don't go CB in the first round, but you're probably looking to address OT or DL.  Could go EDGE here as well.

93 Green Bay: Cole Van Lanen Wisconsin RS SR OT/OG

Bleh.  Probably don't need an IOL, as they'll let their current situation settle itself out.  Probably go WR here.

8 hours ago, onejayhawk said:

Stop giving the Chiefs Carman. He's the wrong position and the wrong player type. He needs to play in a power system. Chiefs run a modified ZBS.

J

Sorry your majesty, but Mike Remmers is a free agent, and the other two starting tackles on the Chiefs are both currently injured and they are not minor injuries.  Getting a talent like Carman who can play OT or OG potentially would be a great move.  Sure other lineman are in play as well but if Kelechi Osemele can play guard in this magical ZBS of the Chiefs, so can Carman potentially if the tackles come back perfectly healthy which is a big if.  And since when is Carman a power player only, he has good feet for a big man and is not just a mauler but is actually good in pass pro outside of the last few games of the year.  

Radunz is a fine talent and could be a great pick also.  But talk is cheap and sure some have their little pet teams, but there is also the bigger picture and at times the player falling and putting in the right range is more important that what team they are selected by because even this is horribly out of order because there are no COMP picks in it which will change everything all over again.  Not to mention free agency or the pro day workouts changing things as well.  

6 hours ago, mrscottso said:

Terrible for the Niners. They aren't taking Lance, and they are definitely not drafting a RB. I'm hoping for a DE or Oline in the first and second. Even a CB would make me happy. 

You really think the Niners are fine at QB?  If Lance falls to them I think they would have a very hard time not taking him with their currently QB situation and Jimmy G being absolutely not reliable as a starter.  Only two years left on the deal, would be damn smart to start now in the replacement plan for him and Trey Lance would be the perfect guy for that.  Jimmy G played freaking 3 games in 2018 and 6 in 2020?  Compare that to Kirk Cousins who has not missed a game in three years as a starter for the Vikings, only game he did not start was a game he sat out because it was the last game of the season and was before the playoffs in 2019. 

Compare that track record of being healthy with Jimmy it is clearly in Kirk's favor, sure Jimmy has a Super Bowl appearance but even that he was arguably a reason for the loss not so much a reason for the appearance.  See how much faith the Rams had in Goff after he brought them to a Super Bowl, sure not totally the same situation but Jimmy G is probably on his way out as well if not next year then a few years down the road.  

A lot of good picks for the Jags, but one area where they seem to be in pretty good shape is linebacker.  They need a LOT of help on the D-line, so it would be nice to get a big run-stuffer at 1-technique to go with the others you added. 

On another note, I know you didn't factor in any trades here, but I wouldn't mind seeing them trade up for Pitts if he falls past #8.  If he somehow gets to the Vikings at #14, I'd love to see us make a trade with you to give you your 2nd rounder back along with either #25 or #33.  TE is a huge need for the Jags and he would be a dynamite weapon for Lawrence to work with for the next decade.  I'd rather see us do that than get Kadarius Toney, since we already have a couple of other decent WR's in Chark and Shenault.  I've been mocking Nico Collins to us in the mid rounds because, like Toney, he has some good speed, which would complement Chark and Shenault nicely.

8 hours ago, Uncle Buck said:

A lot of good picks for the Jags, but one area where they seem to be in pretty good shape is linebacker.  They need a LOT of help on the D-line, so it would be nice to get a big run-stuffer at 1-technique to go with the others you added. 

On another note, I know you didn't factor in any trades here, but I wouldn't mind seeing them trade up for Pitts if he falls past #8.  If he somehow gets to the Vikings at #14, I'd love to see us make a trade with you to give you your 2nd rounder back along with either #25 or #33.  TE is a huge need for the Jags and he would be a dynamite weapon for Lawrence to work with for the next decade.  I'd rather see us do that than get Kadarius Toney, since we already have a couple of other decent WR's in Chark and Shenault.  I've been mocking Nico Collins to us in the mid rounds because, like Toney, he has some good speed, which would complement Chark and Shenault nicely.

The Jags getting another LB later on is not an awful idea, especially considering the injury issues they have had at LB, and Rice would be an absolute steal in the 4th round which he might fall to but at times the kid flashed and looked like a late 1st or early 2nd round talent.  Another DT would be nice but if they could get Levi in the 2nd that would fit the bill and take the place of the very disappointing Bryan who I never liked coming out of Florida.

If Pitts falls the Vikings would absolutely love to trade that pick no question about it.  That would be almost an ideal situation for the Vikings so hopefully he does fall.  Pitts would be a great get for them.  I have them getting Toney because they need some speed at WR and possibly might be going for the four spread WR look.  Kind of like Buffalo Bills and do what Buffalo has done with Allen.  That might not happen sure and if not yes they do have plenty of receivers currently, I just thought maybe they were looking for another speed guy and might play more spread allowing Lawrence to create with his legs if this are not open down field like they did in Buffalo this year.  I assume they sign Cam Robinson but if not then clearly OT could be the biggest need, also if they want another center that could be in play but depends on how much they like Bartch at the other OG spot because he Norwell and Cann are not awful for guards.

Looking at it more that safety group is pretty crap and so I might need to make more priority for them.  

• Like 1