Jump to content

2021 7 Round Mock Edited 4/13/21


Recommended Posts

I hate the idea of taking an OT high...but if neither Collins nor Smith returns, I guess I get it. The rest of the draft I like though.

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, D82 said:

I hate the idea of taking an OT high...but if neither Collins nor Smith returns, I guess I get it. The rest of the draft I like though.

Yeah they might be in a tough spot, other needs they have are not really in that range of the draft.  Trading out of it would make a ton of sense.  I just assume Collins might kick into guard at some point and they were to terrified of what happened last year happening again they get some OT depth.  Doubt they ever want Steele or Knight starting again.  But sure if Smith comes back fully and they like Collins at tackle it probably will not happen.   Not sure where else they go with it, Rousseau but probably not, Parsons for sure but he might not be there.  Safety but none are worth that high of a pick.  QB in Lance but that does not make sense if they want Dak as the man.  Tough position and really should trade out.

Pitts could make sense if he falls there but again a big if.  Really that would be an idea situation to get him.  

Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, Ozzy said:

Sorry your majesty, but Mike Remmers is a free agent, and the other two starting tackles on the Chiefs are both currently injured and they are not minor injuries.  Getting a talent like Carman who can play OT or OG potentially would be a great move.  Sure other lineman are in play as well but if Kelechi Osemele can play guard in this magical ZBS of the Chiefs, so can Carman potentially if the tackles come back perfectly healthy which is a big if.  And since when is Carman a power player only, he has good feet for a big man and is not just a mauler but is actually good in pass pro outside of the last few games of the year.  

Radunz is a fine talent and could be a great pick also.  But talk is cheap and sure some have their little pet teams, but there is also the bigger picture and at times the player falling and putting in the right range is more important that what team they are selected by because even this is horribly out of order because there are no COMP picks in it which will change everything all over again.  Not to mention free agency or the pro day workouts changing things as well.  

Even if all of that is true, Radunz is much better suited to the blocking scheme. Carman may not be just a mauler--no one in the top ten OT is--but it's his biggest selling point. 

You should also bear in mind that the team has a comparable player in house--Lucas Niang. Talentwise he's very comparable, if not better, and he is fully recovered from his injury. They also picked up Prince Tega Wanogho, who was highly regarded last spring, so there is a lot of unseasoned talent already available. I doubt the team will be looking to go with very young players on both ends. As you say, FA will change others, eg re-signing Remmers or a comparable player. Also, either Fisher or Schwartz may have a year or two left. 

The C position is more likely going to be urgent. Reiter and Kilgore are both FA and Reiter is not a cheap re-sign. Creed Humphry is going to be high on the wish list. Because he's a lefty, he might slide to #32. WR is likely losing two key players--Sammy Watkins and Demarcus Robinson. They have a goo player to take over WR4, but they need fresh blood with upside. Travis Kelce is 31 and has no real backup. he also plays extensively out of the backfield. So, TE is a genuine need, though not necessarily an immediate starter. If you want to look at the big picture, try looking at the whole offense.

J

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, onejayhawk said:

Even if all of that is true, Radunz is much better suited to the blocking scheme. Carman may not be just a mauler--no one in the top ten OT is--but it's his biggest selling point. 

You should also bear in mind that the team has a comparable player in house--Lucas Niang. Talentwise he's very comparable, if not better, and he is fully recovered from his injury. They also picked up Prince Tega Wanogho, who was highly regarded last spring, so there is a lot of unseasoned talent already available. I doubt the team will be looking to go with very young players on both ends. As you say, FA will change others, eg re-signing Remmers or a comparable player. Also, either Fisher or Schwartz may have a year or two left. 

The C position is more likely going to be urgent. Reiter and Kilgore are both FA and Reiter is not a cheap re-sign. Creed Humphry is going to be high on the wish list. Because he's a lefty, he might slide to #32. WR is likely losing two key players--Sammy Watkins and Demarcus Robinson. They have a goo player to take over WR4, but they need fresh blood with upside. Travis Kelce is 31 and has no real backup. he also plays extensively out of the backfield. So, TE is a genuine need, though not necessarily an immediate starter. If you want to look at the big picture, try looking at the whole offense.

J

 

Peni Sewell can throw dudes around and is a mauler when he wants to be, and Leatherwood can get pretty nasty but that was back when he was a guard on Alabama.  Carman's biggest selling point is that he is a mountain of a dude with decent feet and could be a very good OG or OT.  His upside is huge I feel.

Niang I like and sure long term he has a future possibly with them.  Prince Tega Wanogho was a great pickup, no clue why the Eagles just had him on the PS then let him walk at the end of the season.  Ultimately though if the coaching and system in KC makes Mike Remmers look as good as he does, really who cares who they pick they will coach the guy up to be a good to great player. 

Remmers easily has never looked this good in his career, on the Vikings Remmers at guard he was a laughing stock and was flat out awful.  Now he is playing tackle and doing a pretty damn decent job overall.  So if they can get that from him they could maybe do the same with the likes of Niang and Prince.  And they have Darryl Williams who has ability and Nick Allegretti is another example of a dude they have made look freaking awesome in that system.  Andy Reid I assume has a lot to do with that OL success, because Allegretti has looked great at times this year and is what a 7th round pick.  Wylie has done well for them at guard, Osemele was good in his old age before getting hurt.  Also have Martinas Rankin who played center in college also and Yasir Durant the rookie.  Not to mention Schwartz and Duvernay-Tardif both possibly returning.  The healthy of Schwartz and Fisher is a concern, and Osemele is gone I assume also but still that is pretty solid either way, even with Remmers gone.  

 

So maybe OL 1st round should be thrown out the window, especially if they sign Dieter.  Maybe they should go LB or another DE.  

Link to post
Share on other sites
45 minutes ago, Ozzy said:

Peni Sewell can throw dudes around and is a mauler when he wants to be, and Leatherwood can get pretty nasty but that was back when he was a guard on Alabama.  Carman's biggest selling point is that he is a mountain of a dude with decent feet and could be a very good OG or OT.  His upside is huge I feel.

Niang I like and sure long term he has a future possibly with them.  Prince Tega Wanogho was a great pickup, no clue why the Eagles just had him on the PS then let him walk at the end of the season.  Ultimately though if the coaching and system in KC makes Mike Remmers look as good as he does, really who cares who they pick they will coach the guy up to be a good to great player. 

Remmers easily has never looked this good in his career, on the Vikings Remmers at guard he was a laughing stock and was flat out awful.  Now he is playing tackle and doing a pretty damn decent job overall.  So if they can get that from him they could maybe do the same with the likes of Niang and Prince.  And they have Darryl Williams who has ability and Nick Allegretti is another example of a dude they have made look freaking awesome in that system.  Andy Reid I assume has a lot to do with that OL success, because Allegretti has looked great at times this year and is what a 7th round pick.  Wylie has done well for them at guard, Osemele was good in his old age before getting hurt.  Also have Martinas Rankin who played center in college also and Yasir Durant the rookie.  Not to mention Schwartz and Duvernay-Tardif both possibly returning.  The healthy of Schwartz and Fisher is a concern, and Osemele is gone I assume also but still that is pretty solid either way, even with Remmers gone.  

 

So maybe OL 1st round should be thrown out the window, especially if they sign Dieter.  Maybe they should go LB or another DE.  

Sewell is the #1 non-QB in the whole draft by at least one list, certainly top 5. He's not an appropriate standard. 

The point is that Niang is already as good as Carman, Eichenberg, Cosmi, Leatherwood and Radunz, ie the second tier. The Chiefs won't get an upgrade with any of these players, plus Niang has been on board and knows the system. If someone like Mayfield or Vera-Tucker slides to them, that's different. Value is its own justification. Carman lacks value at #32. 

Remmers has done well at OT. The team clearly likes what he gives them. Whether they can retain him is another question. Rankin was drafted as an OT, though the Chiefs have mostly played him at OG.

The prospects of a C on the roster are not bare. I have not seen Rankin associated with C, but Allegretti has been, as has Darryl Williams. OG has Allegretti, Rankin, LDT, Yasir Durant, and Williams

Link to post
Share on other sites
41 minutes ago, NVRamsFan said:

When do comp picks get finalized? Rams actually add a few picks when that happens so I'm curious how that plays out with these mocks. 

Not sure, I assume over the next 3 weeks or so.  But odd thing is apparently they are all mostly going to be in rounds 3-6, not as many or any 7 rounders which used to have like 8 or more if I remember.  

 

https://www.nfl.com/news/2021-nfl-draft-compensatory-pick-projections-for-every-team-0ap3000001112252

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Ozzy said:

Not sure, I assume over the next 3 weeks or so.  But odd thing is apparently they are all mostly going to be in rounds 3-6, not as many or any 7 rounders which used to have like 8 or more if I remember.  

 

https://www.nfl.com/news/2021-nfl-draft-compensatory-pick-projections-for-every-team-0ap3000001112252

Yeah we should have 2 third and a 4th round comp plus we don't know yet which of those 3 picks in the 3rd we sent to Detroit as the trade isn't official yet. We've traded comp picks before with the condition that if we didn't get one the pick became our own pick in that round. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, NVRamsFan said:

Yeah we should have 2 third and a 4th round comp plus we don't know yet which of those 3 picks in the 3rd we sent to Detroit as the trade isn't official yet. We've traded comp picks before with the condition that if we didn't get one the pick became our own pick in that round. 

Yeah I believe the Rams according to what I have looked at have 3 picks as of right now, Seattle has 4.  Those are the bottom two in the NFL, so they better hope for some comp picks.  And the Rams just traded away two first round picks in 2022 and 2023 and a 3rd rounder in 2021.  They clearly do not like drafting football players out there in LA I guess.  

Probably is worth it though with the upgrade in arm talent with Matthew Stafford.  And I still recall arguing with dudes back in the day that said Sam Bradford was so much better than Stafford, bull****.  That dude has absolutely elite level arm talent and will be interesting what he can do with a team that can run the ball, protect the passer and play D.  

I assume they upgrade their center in the draft but maybe they like the guys they have in Blythe and the backup potential guys in Allen and Shelton.

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, CT Cowboy Fan said:

This would be an absolute home run for the cowboys, but I doubt it happens. You have us getting 4 bonafide/borderline 1st round talents in (Slater, Moehrig, Horn, Bolton) in the first 4 rounds. 

I do not view Horn as a 1st round talent, maybe I need to watch him some more but the Auburn game this year was his best by far.  2 INTs and 4 Passes deflected, he was not that productive his entire career and that was the best game of his career and only game where he even had a INT.  Looked like the best corner in the country in that one though.  But overall but he does get beat quite often and has in his career, could be still developing maybe.  Sure was not a ton of help around him on South Carolina but at times he did struggle in coverage.  Tough confident player but is not some promise he is a future star just because he dad played in the NFL either.  Possibly I might have him a little low but again he did not play always like he did against Auburn this year.  

Also with Bolton I like Britt and some others more than him and think he is getting a little overrated in the process.  Moehrig I might have too low as well and will see if Dallas even wants a OT, that might not happen if they are confident in the health of Collins and Smith coming back.  

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Had to take these guys out of the mock because they are returning to school for another season.  And sadly Collin Miller has retired from football, was having a great season for Nebraska but got a spinal injury and now his career is over.  

 

Mike Harley Miami FL SR WR

Cameron Goode Cal RS SR OLB

Collin Miller Nebraska RS SR ILB

Zach VanValkenburg Iowa SR DE

Brian Robinson Jr Alabama SR RB

Greg Eisworth Iowa State RS

 

 

VanValkenburg is coming back to school taking a advantage of the extra year of eligibility because of COVID-19, great move by him.  Here are some others that are doing the same that I have heard of.  Players who were seniors or RS SR prospects and got another year of eligibility because of the pandemic.  

 

 

QB
D'Eriq King Miami FL RS
Charlie Brewer Utah - from Baylor
Chase Brice App State - from Duke/Clemson
Jack Coan Notre Dame - from Wisconsin
McKenzie Milton Florida State RS - from UCF
Bailey Hockman Mid Tennessee State RS - from NC State
Nick Starkel San Jose State RS
Kenny Pickett Pitt RS
Jake Bentley South Alabama RS - from Utah/South Carolina
Anthony Brown Oregon RS - from Boston College
 

RB
Brian Robinson Jr Alabama RS
Ty Chandler UNC - from Tennessee
Shai Werts Louisville RS - from Georgia Southern
Stephen Carr USC RS
Vavae Malepeai USC RS
Ronnie Rivers Fresno State RS
Bradrick Shaw NA RS

 

WR
Mike Harley Miami FL 
Ty Fryfogle Indiana
Johnny Johnson III Oregon
Theo Howard OU (possible transfer)
Matt Landers Toldeo RS - from Georgia
KD Nixon USC - from UCF
Danny Davis III Wisconsin RS

TE
Seth Green Minnesota (possible transfer)
Blake Kern Arkansas RS
Lucas Krull Pitt RS

 

OT
Thayer Munford Ohio State RS
Zion Johnson Boston College
Stone Forsythe Florida RS
George Moore Oregon RS

 

OG
Ryan Liam Washington State RS
Zion Johnson Boston College
Stewart Reese Florida RS

 

C
Chris Owens Alabama RS
Liam Shanahan LSU RS

 

DE
Zach VanValkenburg Iowa RS
Scott Patchan Colorado State RS - from Miami FL
Big Kat Bryant Tennessee - from Auburn
Drew Jordan Michigan State - from Duke
Glen Logan LSU
Mandy Alonso Virginia

DT
Haskell Garrett Ohio State RS
Antonio Shelton Florida RS - from Penn State
DaQuan Newkirk Florida RS - from

 

ILB
Nate Landman Colorado RS
James Skalski Clemson RS
 

OLB 3/4
JoJo Domann Nebraska RS
Cameron Goode Cal RS
Tomon Fox UNC RS SR OLB
Noah Burks Wisconsin RS OLB
Kuony Deng Cal RS
Will Honas Nebraska RS
Tevin Paul Cal RS (not sure, did sit out the 2020 season)
Kuony Deng Cal RS
Jermaine Johnson Florida State - from Georgia
Deandre Johnson Miami FL - from Tennessee

CB
Jack Jones Arizona State RS
Coney Durr Minnesota RS

 

S
Joey Blount Virginia
Greg Eisworth Iowa State RS
Tre Webb San Jose State
Marquel Dismuke Nebraska RS
Brad Hawkins Michigan
Nolan Turner Clemson RS
Tony Adams Illinois RS

 

Sure there are more I have missed, one has to literally type in on a search each player to see if they are in the draft this year or not.  Kind of a mess and no real one location for all that information.  Even transfer portals are hard to track most of the time.  

 

Edited by Ozzy
Updated
Link to post
Share on other sites

Spencer Brown fits the profile for what Seattle wants at OL. Probably need to kick inside to LG for 2021.

That being said, Seattle does rarely drafts outside the P5 in days 1 and 2. Only Rashad Penny (SDSU), Shaq Griffin (UCF), Rees Odihamdo (Boise St), and Bobby Wagner (USU). Thats 11 years worth of draft classes, 40+ picks; 4 non-P5 picks. 

In fact the highest non-FBS player drafted was Ty Smith from Towson in the 5th Round of the 2015 draft. PCJS have picked only 6 non-FBS players ever. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Ozzy changed the title to 2021 7 Round Mock Edited 4/13/21

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...