Best Marvel Graphic Novels?

THE DUKE

My twins have some gift cards to a comic book shop and while they like comics, they don't keep up with it enough to follow regular storylines, so I figured graphic novels are the way to go, so they have a whole contained story that they don't have to keep up with.  I have a list going to go over with them, but am curious if I am missing something.  They are primarily MCU fans, but do like some X-Men stuff as well.  So what are the best Marvel graphic novels.

13 minutes ago, Deadpulse said:

How old are they?

The best X-Men story I have read since House of M is House of X and Powers of X by Hickman. Its very recent but both collections should be out in paperback trade form. 

They'll be 14 next month, so they can handle some of the more mature content.  Here's the list I have so far to ponder, they have enough between them to get 3 or 4 depending on which ones they are.

Avengers
Infinity Gauntley (They'll almost assuredly get this, and they do know it's a lot different then the movies)
Secret Wars
Civil War
Secret Invasion

X-Men
Days of Future Past
Dark Phoenix Saga
House of M
God Loves, Man Kills

Spider-Man
Kraven's Last Hunt
Birth of Venom
Spider-Man/Deadpool: Isn't it Bromantic, Vol 1
The Todd McFarland Collection
Maximum Carnage

Wolverine
Weapon X
Origin
Old Man Logan
Wolverine vs Deadpool
Blood and Claws

I'd say Secret Wars, Civil War, and Secret Invasion would all be good, I like House of M a lot and Kraven's Last Hunt, but they are a bit older. You could do something like a compendium for Ultimate Spider-Man/Miles Morales Spider-man. I'll try to think of others. Some of them, Infinity Gauntlet and the older ones are just going to have an older art style that they might not like as well.

16 minutes ago, The Gnat said:

I'd say Secret Wars, Civil War, and Secret Invasion would all be good, I like House of M a lot and Kraven's Last Hunt, but they are a bit older. You could do something like a compendium for Ultimate Spider-Man/Miles Morales Spider-man. I'll try to think of others. Some of them, Infinity Gauntlet and the older ones are just going to have an older art style that they might not like as well.

I don't think the older art style will bother them.  I still have my comics from when I collected in the early to mid 90's and that has stuff from the 70's through the mid 90's and they dug pretty much any of it.

• Like 1

Nice, then that really opens up a ton of options. I highly recommend the Secret Invasion as there's going to be a Disney+ show around that. But I'd also look maybe not at events, but just at comic runs for their favorite character(s). If they like Wolverine, find a few trade paperbacks of Wolverine and get them that.

Avengers: Disassembled is the precursor to House of M.  Both are fantastic with the latter being my favorite Marvel story ever.  I would recommend both together esp bcuz they both seem to be inspirations for WandaVision.

Wolverine: Enemy of the State / Agent of SHIELD are outstanding (they're the 2 sequential story arcs).  Wolverine gets captured and brainwashed and set loose on the rest of the superhero community.  Obviously, they're downright terrified and rightfully so.  It's a ton of fun and guest stars a lot of heroes.

X-Men: House of X / Powers of X  is sophisticated and it just might be the best X-Men story ever created.  There's also incredible artwork showcasing what happens when mutants finally secure their place in this world.  There's a collection of both series in one book.

Ultimate Spider-Man is pretty much considered the quintessential Spider-Man.  Can't go wrong with that.  Spider-Man: Torment by Todd McFarlane has arguably the greatest Spider-Man artwork of all time.

The Ultimates (v1 and v2) are really good and are more of the basis for the Avengers movie than any Avengers comic that predated the MCU.  It has some gorgeous artwork by Bryan Hitch.

Ultimate War is the Ultimates (Avengers) vs the X-Men vs Magneto.  Chris Bachalo's artwork is incredible imo.

Daredevil by Brian Michael Bendis and Alex Maleev.  Not sure what the collections are titled but it's arguably the greatest run on DD ever up there with Frank Miller's.

Hawkeye by Matt Fraction and David Aja is amazing.  Hawkeye has always been my favorite Avenger and this series delivered in the best way.  I'd imagine the upcoming TV series will be heavily influenced by this run.

9 hours ago, thrILL! said:

Daredevil by Brian Michael Bendis and Alex Maleev.  Not sure what the collections are titled but it's arguably the greatest run on DD ever up there with Frank Miller's.

The two I have of are just titled: Daredevil: Ultimate Collection

I'll echo Ultimate Spider-man. Ultimate X-men is good. Pretty much all the Ultimate ________ are great for dipping your toe in. 

Walter Simonson's Thor run is IMO the best Marvel run ever.

Thor Volume 3 was really good.

Moon Knights 06-07 run was elite.

Hickman's recent X men stuff is very good.