2021 Raider Depth Chart

Humble_Beast

1 hour ago, NYRaider said:

We reached on a player who had a third round grade at #19 overall despite him having average measurable's and being 24 years old because he was "pro ready." He didn't look ready last year he got hurt like 4 times and even when he was on the field he looked lost in coverage. 

Damon Arnette got absolutely toasted and cost us this game. Was it because his wrist was hurt or because of his weight? It was probably from his concussions, buddy was worried about covering the flat in a Hail Mary situation with 17 seconds left. 

I’ll take that as a no. Ok now I see why your perspective is the way it is.

16 minutes ago, Jeremy408 said:

I’ll take that as a no. Ok now I see why your perspective is the way it is.

Yes I did play football in high school. Regardless of what Arnette did, he's currently a backup a year after being a 1st round pick. Why not play him at NCB? He started their for multiple years at Ohio State. 

9 minutes ago, NYRaider said:

Yes I did play football in high school. Regardless of what Arnette did, he's currently a backup a year after being a 1st round pick. Why not play him at NCB? He started their for multiple years at Ohio State. 

Wow I’m actually surprised by that given some of your remarks. But hey I’ll take your word for it lol
To answer your question about the nickel: We’ll for 1 looks like we have a good one in Hobbs but only time will tell. 

2. he was drafted to play outside. 

3. Word on the street is he actually looks much better in the Gus Bradley system

Edited by Jeremy408

Just now, Jeremy408 said:

Wow I’m actually surprised by that given some of your remarks. But hey I’ll take your word for it lol
To answer your question about the nickel: We’ll for 1 looks like we have a good one in Hobbs but only time will tell. 

3. Word on the street is he actually looks much better in the Gus Bradley system

At a recent press conference Jon Gruden literally said "we're not giving out anymore scholarships this year, it doesn't matter how high you were drafted or how much money you make, the best players will play." 

Saying he was drafted to play outside so he can only play outside sounds a lot like Paul Guenther. We signed Lamarcus Joyner to play slot corner so despite him having his best years at FS and us having a huge hole there we never even attempted to move him because that's not what he was signed to do. 

I highly doubt that Gus Bradley, one of the best defensive coaches in the NFL over the last decade, is only going to play Arnette outside because the previous defensive coordinator drafted him to play there. I mean we just tried Amik Robertson in the slot during camp, it wasn't a good fit for him so we moved him back to play outside CB. 

At the end of the day you want to have your best 11 players on the field. Casey Hayward, the player you're comparing Arnette too, played almost exclusively as a slot corner for the Packers during his first 4 years in the NFL. Damon Arnette started for multiple seasons at slot CB for Ohio State while Okudah and Ward were on the outside. Everyone called it a bad pick at the time and a year later it still looks like a bad pick, he's not starting and likely won't play very much unless Mullen or Hayward get hurt. 

11 minutes ago, Jeremy408 said:

gang.gif

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, NYRaider said:

At a recent press conference Jon Gruden literally said "we're not giving out anymore scholarships this year, it doesn't matter how high you were drafted or how much money you make, the best players will play." 

Saying he was drafted to play outside so he can only play outside sounds a lot like Paul Guenther. We signed Lamarcus Joyner to play slot corner so despite him having his best years at FS and us having a huge hole there we never even attempted to move him because that's not what he was signed to do. 

I highly doubt that Gus Bradley, one of the best defensive coaches in the NFL over the last decade, is only going to play Arnette outside because the previous defensive coordinator drafted him to play there. I mean we just tried Amik Robertson in the slot during camp, it wasn't a good fit for him so we moved him back to play outside CB. 

At the end of the day you want to have your best 11 players on the field. Casey Hayward, the player you're comparing Arnette too, played almost exclusively as a slot corner for the Packers during his first 4 years in the NFL. Damon Arnette started for multiple seasons at slot CB for Ohio State while Okudah and Ward were on the outside. Everyone called it a bad pick at the time and a year later it still looks like a bad pick, he's not starting and likely won't play very much unless Mullen or Hayward get hurt. 

Great except for the part where Gus Bradley said he has all the tools to be a great outside corner in this defense.

I also appreciate you acknowledging that Gus Bradley as one of the best defensive coordinators in the NFL in the passed decade(going back on what you said a few months ago were you said he was basically a product of having really good players)

Edited by Jeremy408

Just now, Jeremy408 said:

Great except for the part where Gus Bradley said he has all the tools to be a great outside corner in this defense.

That's why we signed Casey Hayward and Arnette is playing preseason games with the backups. Because he's that good. 

3 minutes ago, NYRaider said:

That's why we signed Casey Hayward and Arnette is playing preseason games with the backups. Because he's that good. 

Makes sense to get a veteran CB with knowledge of the scheme.

Not unusual for rookie CBs to struggle either. We shouldn’t have been in the position of having to force him to start with a 2nd year player in Mullen. Secondary needed a vet to help. Arnette actually started the season ok but then broke his thumb and got COVID, I’m hopeful we have a good player there.  

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Turnobili said:

lol when asked about the swing tackle position gruden said that in Brandon Parker we have the best swing tackle we've had since he's been here

he's literally had brandon parker since he's been here

lmao

11 minutes ago, Dessie said:

Makes sense to get a veteran CB with knowledge of the scheme.

Not unusual for rookie CBs to struggle either. We shouldn’t have been in the position of having to force him to start with a 2nd year player in Mullen. Secondary needed a vet to help. Arnette actually started the season ok but then broke his thumb and got COVID, I’m hopeful we have a good player there.  

I appreciate the optimism but everyone was saying the same things about Ferrell last off-season. 

2 hours ago, NYRaider said:

Glitches, casts, weight, that's all fine. At the end of the day he was a first round pick last year and now he's a backup. 

I agree that he is not living up to his draft position.  I liked him but wanted to take him in the 2nd.  No way I take him with the 19th pick.  I still think he can be a good player the same way I think Ferrell can be but I do not think either lives up to where they were drafted.

• Like 2

57 minutes ago, Turnobili said:

lol when asked about the swing tackle position gruden said that in Brandon Parker we have the best swing tackle we've had since he's been here

he's literally had brandon parker since he's been here

He is not a swing tackle.  They need to realize that not every player needs to be a swiss army knife.  Sometimes get the guy who is exceptional at one spot and leave him there because he can not play anywhere else.  Gruden has ADHD.  His mind starts going crazy with the scenarios of what players can do.  He needs to chill and just start making sound decisions.

• Like 1