Jump to content

2021 Raider Depth Chart


Recommended Posts

2 hours ago, oakdb36 said:

Jefferson will play some 3T but my guess is he'll go back to the versatile piece he was with Seattle.

Biggest issue with Jefferson is that he is not a starter or has never logged starter reps.  He is a chess piece for a DC that knows how to use him.  Hopefully it was a fluke last year with Buffalo.  If we get Seahawk Jefferson I will feel much better about it.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
8 minutes ago, drfrey13 said:

Biggest issue with Jefferson is that he is not a starter or has never logged starter reps.  He is a chess piece for a DC that knows how to use him.  Hopefully it was a fluke last year with Buffalo.  If we get Seahawk Jefferson I will feel much better about it.

that at least speaks to the approach of having a lot of bodies like Jefferson, Thomas, Philon, etc... not expecting any one of these guys to play 75% snaps or anything

i'm still salty that hurst isn't part of that group

Edited by Turnobili
  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Turnobili said:

that at least speaks to the approach of having a lot of bodies like Jefferson, Thomas, Philon, etc... not expecting any one of these guys to play 75% snaps or anything

i'm still salty that hurst isn't part of that group

I would be fine letting Hurst go if he got beat out.  I do not like that it was a business decision based upon making bad business decisions earlier in the offseason.

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

Jefferson started 12 games for Seattle in 2018 and 2019 (56; 55% of the D snaps). More than Hurst ever had here.

Edited by oakdb36
Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Turnobili said:

that at least speaks to the approach of having a lot of bodies like Jefferson, Thomas, Philon, etc... not expecting any one of these guys to play 75% snaps or anything

i'm still salty that hurst isn't part of that group

Never should have let Mo go. That was idiotic and I'm generally a positive person.

Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, MrOaktown_56 said:

Never should have let Mo go. That was idiotic and I'm generally a positive person.

i dont think of myself as an optimist or pessimist, really. with the raiders management over the last couple of decades... it's easy to sound pessimistic or angry when evaluating what they do lol

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, oakdb36 said:

Jefferson started 12 games for Seattle in 2018 and 2019 (56; 55% of the D snaps). More than Hurst ever had here.

Did not realize he started that many games but I believe he started most as a DE.  Could be wrong but they used him all over the line.  I believe he played the 5T more than anything in Seattle.  I still do not see him as a clear starter especially after how he played last year.

Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, drfrey13 said:

 Could be wrong but they used him all over the line. 

You're right. That's what the video i posted above shows.

Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, MrOaktown_56 said:

Never should have let Mo go. That was idiotic and I'm generally a positive person.

I would have kept him. But to call it idiotic when nobody picks him up from the waiver is a stretch imo. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
32 minutes ago, Roninho said:

I would have kept him. But to call it idiotic when nobody picks him up from the waiver is a stretch imo. 

I like Hurst, always have. The issue is the fit in this scheme. As mentioned above, the 3T have to be solid run defenders. They also have a type for their scheme and it requires more length than Hurst has. Basically, Hurst is a gap shooter and the scheme asks for gap controllers.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Roninho said:

I would have kept him. But to call it idiotic when nobody picks him up from the waiver is a stretch imo. 

He's a very solid interior lineman from how he's played for us. Hope I'm wrong though.

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/6/2021 at 5:07 AM, drfrey13 said:

Giving Thomas and Jefferson almost fulling guaranteed contracts to be the 1-5 3T.  Neither guy has proven to be starter material so why give them guaranteed money.  FO makes a bunch of assumptions without proof on the field.  Probably my biggest issue right now.  Would Hurst have beaten Jefferson or Thomas during camp?  He did not get the shot because they had guaranteed money and he did not.  If none had guaranteed money you could carry all 3 and keep the best after they show what they have on the field.  Does Bradley need a good 3T in his system because it looks like he does not care very much about the position.

Understand the sentiment regarding guaranteed money but it's also a negotiation and if you want your guy sometimes you have to give a little. Maybe the guys we really wanted demanded that guaranteed money or else they sign elsewhere. And whilst it's fine for fans to just say, fine, just sign someone else for less guaranteed as they're all about he same skill level the team likely targeted Thomas for example for a specific reason and hopefully really did their homework and thought this is the player we want for our scheme. I don't have a problem with it so long as the numbers are realistic, for example, I wouldn't want to sign him for 7mil just because we think he's our guy.

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Darbsk said:

Understand the sentiment regarding guaranteed money but it's also a negotiation and if you want your guy sometimes you have to give a little. Maybe the guys we really wanted demanded that guaranteed money or else they sign elsewhere. And whilst it's fine for fans to just say, fine, just sign someone else for less guaranteed as they're all about he same skill level the team likely targeted Thomas for example for a specific reason and hopefully really did their homework and thought this is the player we want for our scheme. I don't have a problem with it so long as the numbers are realistic, for example, I wouldn't want to sign him for 7mil just because we think he's our guy.

I think Jefferson was the safe steady vet signing and Thomas was the gamble. they are hoping a new system, coaching  and environment can unlock that top 3 ceiling. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Humble_Beast said:

I think Jefferson was the safe steady vet signing and Thomas was the gamble. they are hoping a new system, coaching  and environment can unlock that top 3 ceiling. 

If Thomas couldn't unlock his potential on one of the most talented, well coached defenses in the league.... I'm not optimistic he does it in Vegas. 

DT is still a problem. Jefferson was cut in Buffalo, Thomas is a bust. Irvin had a moment 3 seasons ago. Philon was average before signing in AZ.

I don't see anyone who's going to dramatically change the Dline personally. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...