I know we HAVE to fix our line, but...

mwalker

50 minutes ago, MOSteelers56 said:

This WR class is pretty interesting. There are a lot of RB sized, quick, slot guys. That could be a very helpful type of player in Canada's offense. As much as I hate the idea of a 1st round RB, I'd kind of like to see what our offense would like like if we grabbed Etienne in the 1st and Amari Rodgers in the 3rd. Maybe a good center in the 2nd? That could reshape the entire offense. Creed Humphrey looked really athletic at his pro day. 

What about demetric Felton? Wonder if they could snag him in the 4th 

Radnuz 

Humpries / merinez 

Benjamin st-juste 

Demetric Felton 

Edge guy 

Not a top end RB though

Edited by Cbrunn

2 hours ago, Cbrunn said:

What about demetric Felton? Wonder if they could snag him in the 4th 

Radnuz 

Humpries / merinez 

Benjamin st-juste 

Demetric Felton 

Edge guy 

Not a top end RB though

Radunz seems unlikely to me in the 1st. He’s sort of the anti-Tombert pick. I know nothing of St. Juste, other than I’m 100% going to make a French Revolution joke if we draft him. I know Felton is a pass catching type RB/WR. I’ll look more into him.

As much as Id like to have an upgrade next to Bush, it would be extremely irresponsible to take one early.      Williams and even Spillane are both servicable ILBs when Bush is healthy.   I know the idea is if Bush goes down, we wouldnt be quite as depleted at ILB, but we have way too many other needs and finding solid ILBs isnt terribly hard to do in the mid rounds.  

I would rather see us take a RB in the first round, and people know how I feel about that.     At least the logic behind drafting RB is we really dont have a decent one under contract.    Whereas at ILB, we hard a good one in Bush, and two decent complimentary ILBs.  

• Like 1

On 3/12/2021 at 5:18 PM, mwalker said:

Jarvis Jones. Such an awful pick.

The Steelers have made some good ones and bad ones as everyone has, but I was just never in favor of this pick. He never seemed like the Steelers type of OLB in my opinion. 
Agree mostly on this , however I do like Humphries, Dickerson and Myers more than Meinerz in rounds 2-4. 

I like all of these players and would not be sad getting one, but I think Meinerz style, disposition, attitude, work ethic fits the Steelers best. I don't think the Steelers will lose with any of these three, but Mienerz looks like he could be really special in our offense and potentially the next great Center behind Clack, Webster, Dawson, Hartings, and Pouncey. I think Dickerson could be great, but I am nervous about a Center who has a history of injuries and especially in his knees. 

You have to be careful with post season stand outs vs big time game tape, which the others have.

I agree with you wholeheartedly here. This is not just post-season hype. This is not a case where I am over-hyping him based on a week of practice and an all star game. With players, we like who we like. Sometimes you have a gut feeling about players. I liked Wisconsin's Tyler Biadiscz (sp)  last year for the Steelers. Though Quinn does not have the background, pedigree or level of competition of many of the Div I big names, I think he will meet and in some cases exceed the results of others.

I actually don't love our ILBs aside from Bush, so it's definitely a need, even though we play a lot of fronts and hybrids.

I agree here as well. I don't think many of us are "in love" with anyone outside of Bush. I think Spillane has the heart and fire of a true Steeler and would be better with Bush beside him, but is not the ILB who will carry/lead this defense. The middle of the Steelers defense could be special with three levels of quality defenders. You need speed in this game and Bush and Collins would be very good together. I liked Grant for a back-up Nickel defender, but he just can't stay healthy. I am not a fan of the Allen experiment at MLB.

You have your 'Buck' types - Parsons, Browning, etc. and then more 'Mack' types - Bolton, McGrone who are all interesting players.
If JuJu leaves, I also wouldn't rule out a WR. What if Bateman drops? It's going to be an interesting draft, for sure.

So many options and scenarios. This is why I think you have to stay disciplined and stick to your player rankings and draft board. 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Steeler Hitman said:

So many options and scenarios. This is why I think you have to stay disciplined and stick to your player rankings and draft board. 

Yep, yep. Agree.

Meinerz also put up some impressive numbers at his pro day.

• Like 1

On 3/16/2021 at 7:48 PM, RamblinMan99 said:

No forget it.  

Our first round pick HAS to be an OL for the future of our football team.

Can’t be a skill player and sure as hell can’t be anything on defense.  

RamblinMan99: I would like to get your further thoughts and input on this.

Here's a mock scenario that:

First Round Prospect OT's Sewell, Slater, Darrisaw, Cosmi, and OG Davis are gone at the Steelers pick at 24.

C, G, OT's available:

You have the C's Humphrey, Dickerson, Myers, and Meinerz to pick from

You have OG's Leatherwood, Mayfield, Vera-Tucker, Cleveland, and Smith to pick from

You have OT's Eichberg, Radnuz, and Little to pick from

OR

You can choose: QB Mac Jones, TE Pat Freiermuth, RB Harris, RB Etienne, WR Terrence Marshall, Edge Aziz Ojulari, DE Kwitty Payne, ILB Collins and Bolton, Safety Richie Grant, or CB Jaycee Horn.

You know the team needs and you have your own idea of draft value.

Who do you pick? 

1 hour ago, Steeler Hitman said:

First Round Prospect OT's Sewell, Slater, Darrisaw, Cosmi, and OG Davis are gone at the Steelers pick at 24.

C, G, OT's available:

You have OG's Leatherwood, Mayfield, Vera-Tucker, Cleveland, and Smith to pick from

OR

You can choose: QB Mac Jones, TE Pat Freiermuth, RB Harris, RB Etienne, WR Terrence Marshall, Edge Aziz Ojulari, DE Kwitty Payne, ILB Collins and Bolton, Safety Richie Grant, or CB Jaycee Horn.

Who do you pick? 

Mayfield and Radnuz are the only ones from your list that you could make a case for in the 1st.  If Mac Jones is there they should sprint to the podium.  If Etienne is there I think they will sprint to the podium. 

I will keep saying that Ojulari is not a 3-4 OLB.  He does not have the size to play that position in the NFL.  He will be a 9 tech or a 4-3 OLB.  Collins would be very interesting.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, jebrick said:

Mayfield and Radnuz are the only ones from your list that you could make a case for in the 1st.  If Mac Jones is there they should sprint to the podium.  If Etienne is there I think they will sprint to the podium. 

I like Dillon as a LT and I think he and Mayfield are somewhat flying under the radar (which is actually a good thing for the Steelers).  I have not studied the QB position at all. But I honestly am not feeling like Mac Jones is a legit #1.  With an aesthetic, I say that I am not sure that Mac will be any more than what we have with Mason, who is actually developing/maturing as an NFL QB. Travis is the type of RB that Canada would love to have in his scheme. I am in the minority of people who do not have a problem with taking a RB in round one (IF) he is BPA.

I will keep saying that Ojulari is not a 3-4 OLB.  He does not have the size to play that position in the NFL.  He will be a 9 tech or a 4-3 OLB. 

I agree that he is definitely built more like a 4-3 OLB than what we like in our 3-4 OLB/Edge guys. But, the draft pundits keep dropping his name, so I included him in this scenario.

Collins would be very interesting.

I am tipping my hand somewhat as I wanted to get RamblinMan99's perspective of the OL prospects vs. some of the others.  I am liking the idea of Collins and would sprint to the podium in many cases. I see him as much more than a luxury pick for the defense. We have a legend at QB on his last tour, so let's get some defensive help, a rushing attack and still build for when he is gone. We will need to play some very good defense either way. Out of those players left that I would consider taking in round one, my ranking talent board would look something like this (without considering need):

1. RB Travis Etienne

2. ILB Zaven Collins

3. CB Jaycee Horn

4. FS Richie Grant

5. OT Jalen Mayfield

6. RB Najee Harris

7. OT Dillon Radnuz

I would be tossing and turning between Radnuz, Etienne, and Collins based on who I like. If i followed my own advice of BPA it would be Etienne.  Need it would be one of the tackles probably Radnuz. Who I like personally ILB Collins. Sleeper would be Grant. Awfully weak at safety depth and Minkah and Edmonds will both be free agents after 2021.

4 hours ago, Steeler Hitman said:

C, G, OT's available:

OR

Who do you pick? 

Either Humphrey or Dickerson in the first round.  I think either one of them would be great.  A center is our most crucial priority given that we just lost our all pro center to retirement.  

Taking a guard would be ok, but it’s not like DeCastro went anywhere.

Mac Jones will not be on the board by the time we get there.  Not a chance.  

He’ll probably end up going to New York.  

53 minutes ago, RamblinMan99 said:

Either Humphrey or Dickerson in the first round.  I think either one of them would be great.  

Thanks for your input I greatly appreciate it. We all like who we like. I challenge you on one point: Neither Humphries or Dickerson really have a first round grade.  Granted you may miss a shot at one of them in round two. Do you try to move down and add a higher second to get more of a value with them or just take them there? I think one and possibly even both would be there in round two. I don't think the grade/development/ability of any of these players is that far apart: Dickerson, Humphrey, Meinerz, Meyers, or Hill.  I think based on risk, time to develop and other factors you divide based on draft value.

A center is our most crucial priority given that we just lost our all pro center to retirement.  

None of these players are on the level of Pouncey who are coming out. My concern is that we are risking over-drafting/missing value on higher graded players and other needs: OT, RB, TE, WR, Safety, Edge, CB, or ILB 

Taking a guard would be ok, but it’s not like DeCastro went anywhere.

They have Dotson as well. He should be starting this year and DeCastro has one left. It would be good to grab a guard for next year and who could rotate in this year.

53 minutes ago, RamblinMan99 said:

Mac Jones will not be on the board by the time we get there.  Not a chance.  

He’ll probably end up going to New York.  

Ben is the ride or die for 2021. In 2022 get your franchise QB. Comp picks from 2021 free agent losses should help the Steelers in a bid to trade or move up to draft a QB.  I think Jones is a classy kid, but not a franchise QB like our opponents have in Joe, Baker, or Lamar.