SB Bound Offseason/Draft

bruceb

In theory, we are one step ahead of the curve in terms of improving the D in 2021. Billings, Delphin and Williams being available would cure a lot of ills and allow us to focus our money and draft capital elsewhere.

I say "mostly" because I would count on Williams being there or being good enough to be a solid #2 CB.

The O is pretty solid already and just needs some tinkering to address the present and the future.

That being said here, as of now at least, is what I would do:

OFFSEASON NON-DRAFT SPLAHES:

Trade OBJ to whoever will give us a R2 pick or more

Let Larry O. walk and release or trade (probably for little return, at best) Vernon.

1. Trade one of our R3 picks for Larrimore

2. Sign Leonard Williams

DRAFT:

R1. Parsons or Owusu, Swiss Army Knife LBs, somehow, probably with a trade up

R2. D’Wayne Eskridge, WR, which probably also will require a trade up

R3. Quinn Meinerz, OL. Bitonio's or Tretter's replacement

With trade ups, we probably are low on picks at this point. So assuming we still have R6 and R7 picks:

R6. Quincy Roche, Edge, to back up and learn behind Garrett and Williams

R7. Best kicker available

We do not need to amass a ton of young players...we already have a lot of them.

We need to fortify the D through non-draft acquisitions...players we can plug and play

We need to be mindful of the cap and do what we can to reduce it without hurting the team.

Think all that would put us over the top and ready to contend.

A concept I like is to resign Higgins and trade OBJ and cash for JJ Watt with 3rd round pick which I would add a 4th round pick to trade up in 2nd round for Tall speedyWR.  To support Woods defensive scheme we will need to draft CB and find the right FA S.  Bottom line for defense is to build D line.

Interesting thoughts here, and I think you hit on the only reason why the FO would consider a LB in round 1: they'd have to be a swiss army knife kind of player.

Don't think we have a chance at Parsons, but Zaven Collins out of Tulsa is 100% that dude. Think we'll have him rush the passer about as often as he drops into coverage. He's got like a Von Miller-lite quality to his game where he can fit pretty much anywhere. The issue is he was kind of a one year wonder and plays for Tulsa. 

So I like the thought, but a few things I wonder about with realism.

1. Reggie hit on it, I would be super surprised if we go anywhere near linebacker in the first round.  I would LOVE a linebacker in the first as I think its our major need, but from everywhere I hear they just don't value the position as highly.  They want their DE's to rush the passer, their CB's to cover, and they want more versatility in the safeties to act more like linebackers than the linebackers being that good.  They want Taki-Taki type players to come on the field for running downs, and the Malchom Smith type guys to come on the field for passing downs.  If their are CB's or DE's or DT available in the first round, I doubt they look for the swiss army knife.  There are many of them later in the draft and it would be more about the bigger nickle safety that can play like a linebacker than it would a Linebacker that could play like a DE.

2. I think if we trade OBJ now, we're selling low.  He is on track to return to full strength by the start of the season.  With baker with a full year and an offseason and a half (pandemic reduced) under his belt, and a full season plus two post-season games, its time to see if its OBJ and Baker or if it was learning the system.  If we trade OBJ I think its during the season if he doens't click, or after this year, not when hes in the middle of recovering from an injury.

3. Can we really get Lattimore for only a 3rd? I would be all about that.  I think it would cost more but maybe not considering hes on his last year of the contract.  I know its not exactly the same but Jacksonville got (2) 1sts and a 4th for Ramsey.  Now Ramsey is better, but Lattimore is GREAT.  Ramsey had an extra half a year contract and slightly more expensive 5th year option.  But I would be shocked if its as low as a 3rd.  Granted I would take it in a heartbeat!

4. Also I don't think we have to release or trade Vernon.  I think his contract is up.

5. If we sign Williams, would we let Richardson walk?

6 hours ago, CBrownsman said:

There are many of them later in the draft and it would be more about the bigger nickle safety that can play like a linebacker than it would a Linebacker that could play like a DE.

Agree with this but I think Parsons and Owusu are dynamic, potential game-changers who can play all over the field like the honey badger.

Other than Garrett, our D doesn't have any game-changers.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, bruceb said:

I wouldn't.

I think Williams, Richardson, Billings/Elliot and Garrett would give us a pretty solid DL. Would just need some more depth.

Its not about the effectiveness of the defensive line as much as it is about the financials of the situation.  Williams is seeking 18-20 million.

Assuming he wont get that but will still get 13-15.  With only 32 million under the cap, Ward, Teller, Chubb and Mayfield to extend, it doesn't leave much wiggle room.

Considering cutting Richardson would save 12 million, that is probably where you gain the flexibility to do that.

16 hours ago, bruceb said:

Agree with this but I think Parsons and Owusu are dynamic, potential game-changers who can play all over the field like the honey badger.

Other than Garrett, our D doesn't have any game-changers.

Again, I'm playing devils advocate.

I agree with you that we do need more game changes.  Hell I want a linebacker whos all over the field.

That being said I don't think this front office does that unless they are pushing them to be pure pass rushing DE's.

7 hours ago, CBrownsman said:

That being said I don't think this front office does that unless they are pushing them to be pure pass rushing DE's.

Or a special player who can cut it in a couple of keys:

Jeremiah Owusu-Koramoah · LB

School: Notre Dame | Year: Junior (RS)

The Notre Dame product is one of the most exciting defenders in this draft class. He's athletic and sticky in coverage, while possessing blazing pursuit speed and scary pass-rush potential. (Emphasis added)

• Like 1