Rumor: Raiders pursuing a 3 team deal to acquire Dehshaun Watson

NYRaider

5 minutes ago, oakdb36 said:

I don't care how much it costs, you never get the opportunity to add a 25 years old elite QB. It might not make a huge difference right away but long term the Raiders would be much more likely to become perennial contenders with Watson than Carr. I'm all for it.

I already told everyone what was really happening in a different post. Gruden and Mayock are tricking everyone. They are gonna get those picks and move up to one and take T Law. Then we take over the world 😆 🤣 😂 

1 hour ago, drfrey13 said:

Now we are going to have this conversation.  It all depends on what we give up.  I think Carr and Watson will cost almost the same amount cap wise over the next five years and Watson is the better player but I would not be happy giving up 2-3 extra 1st rounders.  The draft capital is needed to fix the defense.

Maybe the defense needs older players and not more younger ones?

Our 1st round picks haven't been that great either. Maybe Rams are right and teams overrate them. Most out better players wasn't 1st rounders.   

11 minutes ago, BigD1123 said:

A team like the Colts would probably ship much more than 2 ones for him tbh. A team that is literally one decent qb away from being dangerous. You give up whatever you have to in order to get the qb you want so you can win in the window you have.

Bears and Washington too. Low cap hit is what adds value too. Him joining any of them teams with there defense gives them all real chances to reach a SB. 

1 hour ago, drfrey13 said:

I understand what you are saying but I would not put Watson in the Mahomes, Rodgers,  and Wilson class.  He is about half between Carr and those players.  Hopkins is better than any receiver Carr has ever had and you could even make that argument for Fuller although I would put him top 4.  Maybe Watson becomes elite by getting away from the Texans but I believe the picks plus Carr could help the team out just as much as Watson.  Really would come down to how well we draft but Mayock shown has shown he is only a slight upgrade to Reggie McKenzie in the opening round.  Who knows.

I’ll have to disagree with you here. Watson is elite and the 4th best QB in the NFL, and those four are in their own tier. 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, oakdb36 said:

I don't care how much it costs, you never get the opportunity to add a 25 years old elite QB. It might not make a huge difference right away but long term the Raiders would be much more likely to become perennial contenders with Watson than Carr. I'm all for it.

Voice of reason. Some are being shortsighted here. More concerned with getting to the playoffs in 2021, then the long game of building a Championship caliber team. Watson gives you an elite QB for the next decade. He brings leadership and respect the day he walks in. Players want to play for that guy and with that guy. You likely get some players to come in you might not have otherwise to join him. He has that effect.

Trading for Watson doesn't leverage your future. It IS your future. You can still build a team with mid round picks and free agency. 

1 hour ago, MrOaktown_56 said:

If we can get Watson for under 2 1sts including a Carr trade, I'd be game for it.  2 1sts and Carr I'd be fine with. More than 2 1sts and Carr is too much.

I disagree. I don't think there is "to much" in this equation. Teams spend decades and countless resources trying to find a QB of Watson's stature. He's the #2 QB in the AFC right now and changes your franchise for the next decade. You can't put a price tag on that.

• Like 1

This is what i wrote in another topic:

My first reactions is: meh, we won't be able to build a decent defense without the picks in the next 2 years so let's not do it.

But then i realised you have to see this as you get a franchise QB for the next decade. Even if the next 2 or 3 years are not succesfull because we don't have a defense you would still have Watson after that at age 27-28 and the picks to build a defense for him.

Stafford is a 'succeed now in our superbowl window or be bust' kind of deal. Similar to what Mack was for the Bears. But getting Watson isnt a short term deal, it would be a long term fix.

Edited by Roninho
  • Like 3

29 minutes ago, big_palooka said:

Voice of reason. Some are being shortsighted here. More concerned with getting to the playoffs in 2021, then the long game of building a Championship caliber team. Watson gives you an elite QB for the next decade. He brings leadership and respect the day he walks in. Players want to play for that guy and with that guy. You likely get some players to come in you might not have otherwise to join him. He has that effect.

Trading for Watson doesn't leverage your future. It IS your future. You can still build a team with mid round picks and free agency. 

Good post. Whilst I'm in the camp that thinks Derek Carr is a QB that absolutely we can succeed with, Watson is an elite player who is still very young. Swapping Watson for Carr with no other changes this year possibly gets us 1, maybe 2 more wins so its not the final move that we can sit back and rest on our laurels with.

As much as I like Carr, Watson is a clear upgrade but we'd still have a crappy defence so it should be seen as the first chip to fall and we'd still need to rebuild the defence to be a real threat. Personally, I can't see this happening but if it did I'd be for it but it wouldn't make us instant contenders IMO.

9 minutes ago, thebestever6 said:

Carr had a better Qbr than Watson last year, and a better year than Watson had other than last year.

I mean I get it but it be interesting to see what the Raiders view Carr. I mean I had no clue the Rams viewed Goff that low so nothing surprises me.

Gruden had a chance to play Mariota in the last two games of the season which were essentially meaningless, and still went with Carr. I think he views Carr more highly than is generally assumed... but at the same time he’d be mad not to view Watson more highly.

This Watson stuff is probably just pie in the sky, but I’d love us to sign him.

2 minutes ago, Nightmare said:

Gruden had a chance to play Mariota in the last two games of the season which were essentially meaningless, and still went with Carr. I think he views Carr more highly than is generally assumed... but at the same time he’d be mad not to view Watson more highly.

This Watson stuff is probably just pie in the sky, but I’d love us to sign him.

No doubt he would have a higher view on Watson but the draft capital given up would tell a lot more.