Rumor: Raiders pursuing a 3 team deal to acquire Dehshaun Watson

NYRaider

I've been on the DC wagon for a long time.  I've been completely against 3 1st round picks and DC for Watson.  But if we could do it for maybe DC and 2 first round picks, I'd honestly not be mad.  I'd be lying if I tried to argue that Mayock hits in the first, so far he's hit once in the first with a RB.  1 out of 5 first round picks were rock solid so far.  So if we gave up 2 1st round picks and DC for Watson, I'd be okay with it.  I think Mayock could find us the players we need in the 2nd and later to add to the defense and we could still easily find some FAs on defense to help.  It wouldn't necessarily slow us down long term.  I think regardless of the direction we go in, we would continue to improve as a team over the next couple of years.  I would hate to DC go and would root for him to do well, but I would not be against this type of trade.  I mean I do think 3 first round picks is too much, but again, Mayock sucks in the first lol.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, big_palooka said:

Good... throw them off the scent. Gruden said 7 first round picks... was that his opening bid lol.

Can't we trade Gruden for Watson?? Al got a kings ransom for him last time and he is our best pass rusher too! 😀😀

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, Rich7sena said:

The Texans spent 3 first round picks between Tunsil and Howard.

Bill o Brian being a bad gm doesn't take away from my point. I think a solid oline is good enough for watson.  We have the highest or 2nd highest paid oline with our LT contract coming up soon. 

9 hours ago, OnlyGlove said:

Maybe the defense needs older players and not more younger ones?

Our 1st round picks haven't been that great either. Maybe Rams are right and teams overrate them. Most out better players wasn't 1st rounders.   

I believe the issue with the young is partly poor drafting and partly poor coaching and accountability.  Both of these are huge red flags.  I hope Mayock can come thru in the next couple months.

13 minutes ago, dante9876 said:

Bill o Brian being a bad gm doesn't take away from my point. I think a solid oline is good enough for watson.  We have the highest or 2nd highest paid oline with our LT contract coming up soon. 

I mean, it's not like Carr had more than a solid oline this season. He had the league's worst in 2018.

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, dante9876 said:

2016 he had one of the best pass pro lines in history by the numbers. 

A lot of that had to do with the nature of the offense and Carr getting the ball out quickly. But, more importantly, Carr hasn't had an elite oline recently, despite how much it is being paid.

Offensive line play is important for every quarterback--mobile or not. Carr, overall, does a pretty good job mitigating subpar play along the oline with his presnap ability and quick decision making.

• Like 2

I'm one of Carr's bigger supporters, I certainly believe we can build a team capable of winning a championship with him as the QB, however if you can move him to Washington, Chicago, Indy, etc for 2 firsts or even a first and a second AND you make that deal contingent on making a deal with Houston for 4 firsts (2 from us, 2 from the team we trade Carr too, and if we only got a first and a second I would be willing to make it 3 firsts from us and the first we get in the trade) it's an absolute no brainer. 

Carr is IMO a top 12ish QB. A sure fire franchise QB. Watson is a top 5, elite QB. And QB is the one position where the gap from top 4-5 to 12 is HUGE. Certainly big enough to justify giving up 2 or 3 first round picks. Watson closes the gap that could prove to be insurmountable with Carr in terms of competing with Mahomes and the Chiefs for the division. It seems like a long shot, but there definitely seems to be at least some smoke around this. 

Man it would be exciting to land probably the biggest star QB in league history to ever be traded in their prime. And I think we are right there in terms of teams that could be realistic with the Jets, Dolphins, etc. They have the better draft picks today and have multiple firsts, but outside of those 2 teams were in the tier of teams that has a QB good enough that could go for enough draft ammo to make a competitive offer while still not being a QB you absolutely can't move on from. And we're closer than the Jets in terms of offensive pieces at least to feel like it's a move worth making. Watson makes this offense among the best in the entire NFL. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Calamity_Cometh said:

If you guys get Watson, the Broncos will be erased for the next 12 years, you'll have a counter to Herbert, and might have the best available weapon to compete with Mahomes.

I'd honestly prefer having a top 5 defense with 3-4 all-pro superstar players on defense just shutting down Mahomes and Herbert for the next 10 years.  Watson will be able to score points, but our defense still needs to stop Mahomes and Herbert, and eventually the Broncos.

1 hour ago, drfrey13 said:

I believe the issue with the young is partly poor drafting and partly poor coaching and accountability.  Both of these are huge red flags.  I hope Mayock can come thru in the next couple months.

No doubt PG was a terrible coach.  But for me the NFL network and other TV provider's have overhyped 1st round picks. Most of them don't make it or get close to the standard expected.   Yet most pro bowl players come im the later rounds.  I get early 1sts are very good but later ones are overhyped. 

Another interesting point Colin Cowherd made was talking about Gruden and how much power he has inside the organization. How many coaches out there legitimately have the power to overrule the GM and make a move for Watson based around a number of high draft picks? Bill B in Boston, Andy Reid, Pete Carroll maybe, McVay? How many coaches have the power Gruden has with still 7 years left on their deal, a GM they probably picked themselves as more of a yes man type, and an owner who idolizes the coach lol? There aren't many, if any coaches that have as much power as Gruden AND would use the power to trade for Watson because a lot of those guys already have their QB and finding that guy contributed to them getting as much power to begin with. 

It doesn't mean it necessarily will happen, it just is something interesting to think about. Gruden won't be overruled by Mayock because Mayock doesn't want to give up 3 or 4 first round picks or this player or whatever, and Gruden probably doesn't even have an owner that would shoot down the move. Gruden wants a super star QB IMO. He believes that is the most sure fire way to win a championship. It gives him a bigger margin for error. I think he's happy with Carr, but he's not entirely satisfied. 

End of the day, on a coaching level, very few if any (Belichick is the other I think is comparable with need for a QB and power in the organization) have as much power and influence as Gruden, and the need for a QB. And the need for Gruden is probably stronger because he plays in a division with Mahomes. 

A ton of coaches would want a Watson at QB. Not many have first and final say to authorize the move. Most have a chain of command they aren't sitting at the top of. Gruden is one of the few exceptions. 

• Like 1

Watson can’t win without a decent team around him.  If you trade so much for him you can’t field a good enough team we are in the same boat as now.

I’m for this deal but only at the right price.  The Max we should Offer is Carr and 2 1sts. The only deal you make is one that is just good enough that Houston isn’t ridiculed for the deal. You simply let them save face. I’m hearing some people say we should offer Carr plus 2 1sts’s and 2 2nd’s?  Are you kidding?  

We need to negotiate a win for once.  It’s very simple:

watson has a no trade clause and can pick a list of teams where he’ll go.  This lowers demand because he’s only going to list >6 teams. Less demand means his price drops.

carr’s trade value is 2 1sts right now.  We can find a trade partner pretty easily I feel.  Of the teams he picks how many can or will trade 4 1sts or more for Watson?   What other teams can put together a package like that?  Very few, maybe only us.

Houston is in zero position of power!  There franchise is in shambles and their star QB will never play there again.  Do not bail them out and give them a massive draft haul.  

We don’t HAVE to make this deal.  We’re more than happy to roll with Carr in ‘21.  If Houston can get the price down low enough for us to bite then sure.  That’s how you frame the conversation.

dont be afraid to walk away from Any deal, ever.  Houston has the problem not us.  We are one of maybe 2-3 teams who can put enough together.  

you absolutely don’t get into a bidding war.  It’s likely at least 1 of the 3 teams drops out of the race.  Start low and let as many teams fall out of the race as possible.... if your the only one left then you force the compensation down at the last minute by threatening to back out.

• Like 1