Peyton Manning appreciation thread

notthatbluestuff

Peyton Manning is the QB I think of when it comes to the modern, pass-first NFL. He wasn't some gunslinger like Favre or Marino, he was precise, calculated, and cerebral. The only guy who knew what you were doing on every play and knew the exact counter to it, but also executed perfectly pretty much every time.

• Like 1

I think what’s remarkable about Peyton Manning from the perspective of QBs is that he was phenomenal both in college and the NFL.

With most QBs, they’re either average in college and become great in the NFL, or they’re like number one overall in the draft but end up being busts once they reach the pros.

With Peyton Manning, he’s truly one of those rare occurrences in which he was on top in college and continued straight through in the NFL.

I think if you were to find the Albert Einstein of NFL quarterbacks, it would be Peyton Manning.  

• Like 1

My favorite Peyton Manning moment...

In all seriousness. This is my favorite, by a significant margin. The rest of his career - on and off the field - was masterful in itself. But this was equal parts humorous and showed that Manning wasn't pulling punches - he demanded excellence, and anything less would incur his wrath.

• Like 6

10 minutes ago, RamblinMan99 said:

I think what’s remarkable about Peyton Manning from the perspective of QBs is that he was phenomenal both in college and the NFL.

With most QBs, they’re either average in college and become great in the NFL, or they’re like number one overall in the draft but end up being busts once they reach the pros.

With Peyton Manning, he’s truly one of those rare occurrences in which he was on top in college and continued straight through in the NFL.

I think if you were to find the Albert Einstein of NFL quarterbacks, it would be Peyton Manning.  

Wow. This is actually... a fairly reasonable post.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, BigTrav said:

Computer brain, read defenses like a boss, deadly accurate, horse face, regular season guru, enormously long forehead, good arm at his peak and people should remember that over his latter career noodle, always had good weapons compared to some of his peers but also elevated everyone around him.

Yep he led a WR core that had Reggie Wayne, Collie, Garçon and Hank freaking Basket to the SB.

6 hours ago, Dome said:

Hilarious commercials, and his comedic timing in general is top tier. 

One of the biggest mistakes of his career got my team a Super Bowl. That's what I'll always remember him for. 

The one where he's at the hotel and he turns around all the insults is an absolute classic.

You're Going Down, Manning!  Yup, going to the 4th floor for a massage.

Eli is even more deadpan and hilarious. His Little Brothers of America on SNL was awesome.

Edited by SkippyX

3 hours ago, ET80 said:

My favorite Peyton Manning moment...

I could watch this clip a million times and it'd still be hilarious.

1 hour ago, Blackstar12 said:

Yep he led a WR core that had Reggie Wayne, Collie, Garçon and Hank freaking Basket to the SB.

A future HOFer (maybe) and a very good Pierre Garcon to compliment Dallas Clark is not a WR group that is bad by any stretch.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Blackstar12 said:

Wayne is a HoF level WR

Garcon had a 1300 and a 1000 yard seasons in DC. (a 2 on Indy who was a 1 on DC)

Hard to say how good Collie was because injuries derailed his career (top end 3 in Indy)

Baskett had a couple 400+ yard seasons with Philly as a 3/4 (4s are not expected to do more than that)

He also had Dallas Clark. (top end receiving TE)

I agree he was a hell of a field general and he was like an OC on the field who put his team into good situations by exploiting pre-snap reads but I don't see how this core was bad.

• Like 1