Mock Offseason 1.0

WindyCity

Yeah, I don't like Leno and have been worried about him even in 2018, but Massie is worse in terms of play, health, age.  It would be delightful to move on from both, but if you're picking all roads lead to Massie, or rather all roads lead Massie somewhere else.  Leno is not great, but likely is a better value than anyone you'd bring in should of a high draft pick, and again, you really need to start with the weaker tackle spot.

18 hours ago, WindyCity said:

Hard. Competent OTs make a lot of money. So in addition to eating money on Leno you have to pay or draft a replacement.

There is not a planet in this solar system where Massie is better than Leno. Massie has been outplayed by his backups in the last 2 years. 

Replace Massie and if you can replace Leno go nuts, but deal with the injured and useless RT over the competent and durable LT.

Well, you got me there. Leno is SLIGHTLY better than Massie, I'll give you that. I would say that Leno hasn't been "competent" for two years, though.

And I don't think the Bears have to eat any money if they get rid of either tackle, do they? 🤔

52 minutes ago, Heinz D. said:

Well, you got me there. Leno is SLIGHTLY better than Massie, I'll give you that. I would say that Leno hasn't been "competent" for two years, though.

And I don't think the Bears have to eat any money if they get rid of either tackle, do they? 🤔

5 million on Leno and 3ish on Massie.

Massie has to go because in addition to being bad he has missed 50% of the last 2 seasons.

I want to get rid of both. But we likely have 1 decent pick, if we don’t trade up for a QB, that can go towards an OT

22 hours ago, Heinz D. said:

Leno isn't better than Massie. 

And...replacing, with no resources? How hard do you honestly think it would be to replace a below average LT? 

They are different players but if you ask who's more replaceable then it's definitely the RT Massie

For as soft as Leno is sometimes he holds up decent enough in pass pro and he isn't making a ton by LT standards.  He's also a very well liked guy in the locker room and community

Unless they are able to draft a top LT in the 1st then it's hard to envision them moving on from Leno this offseason because they will likely not be able to acquire someone who's significantly better for cheaper and Leno is a free agent anyway after 2021

My guess is they cut Massie and draft a OT in the first couple rounds and have them start at RT for this year until Leno's contract is up

• Like 1

1 hour ago, topwop1 said:

Unless they are able to draft a top LT in the 1st then it's hard to envision them moving on from Leno this offseason because they will likely not be able to acquire someone who's significantly better for cheaper and Leno is a free agent anyway after 2021

It's hard to envision them moving away from Leno because of mistakes Pace has made.

You seriously don't think a second or third round pick could (reasonably, ignoring the Nagy "standard") outperform Leno? 

40 minutes ago, Heinz D. said:

It's hard to envision them moving away from Leno because of mistakes Pace has made.

You seriously don't think a second or third round pick could (reasonably, ignoring the Nagy "standard") outperform Leno? 

It's not that I don't think it can happen but it's no guarantee to happen.  Bears would be taking a big risk by banking on a rookie to come in and hold down the blind side. How often does that happen with OTs drafted who aren't in the top-10?

Leno isn't great but he's not terrible and at least they know what they're getting with him plus like I said his salary isn't a killer.

Also they would likely get a comp pick for Leno down the road if they let him leave as FA vs releasing him...just something to keep in mind 

4 hours ago, abstract_thought said:

If the cap forces a lot of veteran cuts, it may be in the Bears' best interests to cut both Leno and Massie. With so many teams struggling against the cap ceiling, the price of many veteran players is going to fall. This will be a good offseason to go bargain shopping.

Also Ifedi can be re-signed and kicked out to RT.

(Rookie or cheaper vet)- Daniels- Muphister- Whitehair - Ifedi

Not great at all but at least we cut some dead weight and see a hopeful uptick in physicality. 

On 2/3/2021 at 11:09 AM, WindyCity said:

1 Year 1.5 million [6 million]

K Cairo Santos

You don’t think coming off of finishing the season making 25 straight FG that Santos will have a legit FA market? I’m thinking keeping him will require a multi-year deal at probably twice that price. Half the teams in the league can use a kicker upgrade. 

• Like 1

I just don't see how Bears are going to incorporate a massive QB salary into this team and also have a good roster around him when they need to still need to improve O line and resign ARob especially without high draft picks.  

I don't care if Watson is playing QB in 2021.    

Watson is not winning a title throwing to Mooney, Kmet and Miller as your top 3 weapons while protected by Leno and Massie.   Mahomes isn't either and Mahomes is best QB in league by far, only one close is Rodgers and that is when Rodgers is motivated AND playing within scheme.     

Heck, Mahomes had Kelce, Hill and Watkins, which blows Bears weapons away, and still got blown out because he had no healthy o line and what was left was on par with Massie and Leno.  

And the draft picks given up to get a Watson or even a Wentz means you aren't getting better on par with rest of league.  

Okay Wentz throwing to Mooney, Ridley, Miller and Kmet protected by Massie and Leno and coached by Nagy.  Greeeaaat.  That's what you people want to see?  Championship.  

I cut Leno, Skrine and Massie and save 15.1 million.

I don't buy that Leno and Massie are average and serviceable.   They stink and I am done with them.    Leno flopping around all over the place on the ground half the game, getting pancaked by guys half his size.   Makes me sick.  

I resign Ifedi to play RT for Massie.   

I sign a good veteran LT in FA or target one in draft.

I try to get a relatively cheap trade for Darnold, (I would offer a 3rd and go as high as a 2),  barring that I resign Mitch and find a QB in 2022.  Darnold to me is still a lottery ticket that could pay off, but is long odds.   Mystery box.   

If there is some QB in draft I like that will be there at 20 I do that, but I don't do it just because I need a QB.  I have to like that guy (no idea of college players right now).

I restructure a bunch of dudes and bring back ARob - on franchise if necessary.  You finally found a good #2 in Mooney who also brings speed.   You need ARob to go with him.      

I also bring back Gipson, Edwards and give Burns another shot at CB.   Wims is cut.   I would have cut him in season.

But no worries if you don't like my plan.  Bears have never done what I wanted.

• Like 3

13 minutes ago, dll2000 said:

Okay Wentz throwing to Mooney, Ridley, Miller and Kmet protected by Massie and Leno and coached by Nagy.  Greeeaaat.  That's what you people want to see?  Championship.  

Only positive to signing Wentz is that the Pace and Nagy ship burn down and they cant make any big, stupid signings. Maybe it forces them to move on and take swings with young potential. 

Burn it down, dont let Pace waste future resources. Start drafting some OTs early. Even if they have to be kicked inside they can usually be decent there. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Sugashane said:

Only positive to signing Wentz is that the Pace and Nagy ship burn down and they cant make any big, stupid signings. Maybe it forces them to move on and take swings with young potential. 

Burn it down, dont let Pace waste future resources. Start drafting some OTs early. Even if they have to be kicked inside they can usually be decent there. 

Yeah, but if they give away the 2022 number 1 for any reason they just punched a bunch of holes in the life raft on their way off the sinking ship.

• Like 1

On 2/7/2021 at 1:40 AM, AZBearsFan said:

You don’t think coming off of finishing the season making 25 straight FG that Santos will have a legit FA market? I’m thinking keeping him will require a multi-year deal at probably twice that price. Half the teams in the league can use a kicker upgrade. 

Yeah... no way he signs for that cheap

Don't know if Bears will be able to afford Santos and I think they might still try and make the Pineiro experiment work because he'll be cheaper

Plus Bears may be able to get a comp pick if Santos signs a nice deal elsewhere