It's a Gopher mock, ya'llz!

0a599fd2664e42c805142fc219a19e4e.jpeg

Hired: ... I think LaFleur will go with someone like himself, so one of the young guys (Leonhard, Nielsen, Evero -- take your pick), not Gray, Barry or Sutton.

Free Agency:

Walk on home, boy:
- RB A. Jones
- CB K. King
- TE M. Lewis
- DL D. Harrison

YA CUT!!
- C. Kirksey (+$4.6m)
- D. Lowry (+$3.3)
- WR D. Funchess (+$1m+)
- BUSTS J. Jackson, O. Burks (~2m). At ILB (and RB), draft guys who can play. At every other position, draft quality athletes.

Very tempting to add Preston Smith to this list, but he's solid and the price is tolerable, just stop giving him more reps than mah man Gary.

Re-structure:
~ Z. Smith (~$7m)
~ A. Rodgers (~$?) ... sounds like his camp is down with it, though, and we can use all the free cap we can get.

Re-sign:
+ OL C. Linsley: I tried to avoid this because I think the money could be better spent, but C's don't cost too much and if Rodgers restructures, I can't imagine not using that to keep the OL intact for him as we make another run -- maybe draw this one up with an "out" toward the end of it.

+ RB J. Williams: ideal 3DRB behind Dillon, passable starter if needed, shouldn't cost much.
+ CB T. Williams: vet-min, basic competence at CB and can mentor young DBs we will bring in.
+ DL M. Adams: vet-min, good enough depth for another (1) year, should be motivated to play for a bigger deal.
+ OL L. Taylor: looked solid before the injury, I'd give him another shot.

+ TE R. Tonyan: 2nd-round RFA tender
+ DL T. Lancaster: RFA tender
+ DB R. Greene: RFA
+ WR A. Lazard: ERFA
+ CB C. Sullivan: ERFA
+ LB R. Ramsey: ERFA
+ OT Y. Nijman: ERFA

Draft:

goldy-305.jpg

Round 1: Rashod Bateman - WR, Minnesot

Oh yeah!! You thought Gopher Mock was just me inserting my name onto it. Nope!!! We are DRAFTING gophers up in this hizzo. 🤑

And so at long last, A-Rod gets a 1st-round receiver. I am actually content with Adams-Lazard-MVS for another year, tbh, but all our contracts at the position expire over the next couple offseason.

Also, I would like to develop a guy to be WR1 as Adams ages out of it. WRs are just too important.

Bateman sounds like an ideal receiver for what Rodgers likes and to groom behind Adams: prototype size, good hands, smooth route-runner, plus intangibles.

Round 2: Greg Newsome II - CB, Northwestern

"Value in 2" says if a draft class is deep at a position, pick it in the 2nd. I would sit tight and make our Need pick here.

You can kinda take your pick here, but I like how Newsome complements Alexander in size/length and ball-skills (replacing what you lose in King); the Packers lineage also is a nice bonus!

Round 3: Jevon Holland - S/DB, Oregon

This prospect intrigues me, very versatile skill-set that can line up all over (over the slot, in the box, etc).

I envision this guy filling a Dime DB role ala Minkah Fitzpatrick. We seemingly have been trying to make that a thing, but Greene can't stay healthy, and Redmond flat-out is not good enough. Out with those two, in with Vernon Scott and Holland (one of whom can takeover in Amos's spot two seasons from now).

We need to tighten up our coverage. That doesn't have to come from CBs, though.

Round 4: Michael Carter - RB, North Carolina

On the smaller side (5'9/201), but dynamic and has burst/quickness. Also complements Dillon and Williams real well.

Upgrades over Ervin and replaces Jones's skill-set (if not his production, but production replacement is Dillon's job).

Round 4: Monty Rice - ILB, UGA

I am cautiously optimistic for a Barnes/Martin duo and Summers is a solid depth guy, but adding competition is prudent.

Experienced against top comp, Rice will compete early. Short and just an okay athlete, but at ILB, you want guys who can play.

-----------------------
Remainder of the draft: just go BPA sans QB, TE, K, LS. I would not draft a P, but I am open to competition for JK Scott possibly through UDFA.
-----------------------

Thanks, hope you enjoyed, and remember...

dont-give-up-gopher-it.jpg

• Like 1

I agree with what was said about the DL. That, to me, is our biggest need, maybe 2 biggest needs, then CB.

I do like Bateman but to me that’s a luxury. I’d keep Funches before that and definitely draft a DL, even if I had to move to get one. I really like your draft though if we didn’t need a DL so bad. Bateman kind of reminds me of Adams.

BUT, I hate a couple FA moves. Keep Funches, and I’d stick with Lowery, even though I don’t like him that much, in place of Adams; he brings nothing to the table so far. Williams is done too. I feel like keeping Taylor allows you to let Lindsey walk and move Jenkins over. I think we’d be good up front that way.

solid effort!

Edited by MantyWrestler

Yes, I expect continued development from Keke.

But Clark (elite) -- Lancaster (run) -- Keke as-is (pass) -- Adams (prove-it deal) + 1-2 back-end guys ... is not a bad situation.

CB is our only hard need. Any of WR, ILB, IDL, RT, IOL and potentially RB are positions that we could stand to help with high and early-mid picks. But we only have 2 high picks (we pick late, so 1st = 2nd, 2nd = 3rd). Trade back, sure, but you need some Mids to fill those positions.

So if we do not draft a IDL early (which I'm in favor of, btw) then I would not even bother until 5/6/7/UDFA (rounds I omitted here). That's niche role-player territory. A mid-round pick at the spot should be an Upside guy... but we already have that in Keke.

Do not waste perfectly good early-mids on JAGs.

This mock just represents 1 of many possible approaches I would support taking in the draft, though.

Edited by Gopher Trace
On 2/3/2021 at 5:00 PM, MantyWrestler said:

BUT, I hate a couple FA moves. Keep Funches, and I’d stick with Lowery, even though I don’t like him that much, in place of Adams; he brings nothing to the table so far. Williams is done too. I feel like keeping Taylor allows you to let Lindsey walk and move Jenkins over. I think we’d be good up front that way.

Normally, I would agree with most of this, but we are "up against it" cap-wise this year so some sacrifices are gonna have to be made.

Keep those guys, then you kinda have to give up any of one P. Smith, Wagner, Turner (you can forget about bringing back the bigger-name guys)...

9 hours ago, Gopher Trace said:

Normally, I would agree with most of this, but we are "up against it" cap-wise this year so some sacrifices are gonna have to be made.

Keep those guys, then you kinda have to give up any of one P. Smith, Wagner, Turner (you can forget about bringing back the bigger-name guys)...

Guess I didn’t look to hard at the numbers. Is Funches going to be that expensive to keep? Also, Lowery cal follow Adam’s out the door then. Neither are worth a darn to me. We have to be able to do better for Lowery’s money. 

On 2/3/2021 at 7:59 PM, AlexGreen#20 said:

You gotta LOVE Keke to be alright with this. That DL rotation is rough.

Not that I disagree with you at all, but I'm pretty sure this IDL class is rough at best.  When the top rated DL is a part-time DL in college...