Marty Moved To Hospice - Passed Away at 77

Chiefs_5627

11 hours ago, MWil23 said:

Marty will be missed. While everyone remembers Byner for “The Fumble”, what many people don’t know is that Marty probably saved his life by trading him. Earnest was suicidal after that play, so Marty traded him to Washington, where Byner won a ring. We lost a football legend today. The man had the heart of a giant.

"There's a gleam men, there's a gleam..."

Fabulous coach. Should have at least gotten to the Super Bowl three times. Especially in 1987. 

• Like 2

I’m just a fan. Marty was great for San Diego. People forget the utter steaming pile Marty came into and turned into a serious contender. Had Marlon Mccree not fumbled an interception or Drayton Florence inexplicably decided to headbutt a receiver after a failed 3rd down conversion he would have gotten his title and wouldn’t be the most underrated coach of all time. Let’s be real. He turned around the Browns and Chargers... no one else has that kind of magic to fight those two curses. Don’t go 14-2. 🤦‍♂️ 

On 2/11/2021 at 1:13 PM, Leoric said:

I’m just a fan. Marty was great for San Diego. People forget the utter steaming pile Marty came into and turned into a serious contender. Had Marlon Mccree not fumbled an interception or Drayton Florence inexplicably decided to headbutt a receiver after a failed 3rd down conversion he would have gotten his title and wouldn’t be the most underrated coach of all time. Let’s be real. He turned around the Browns and Chargers... no one else has that kind of magic to fight those two curses. Don’t go 14-2. 🤦‍♂️ 

He also turned around the Chiefs, who were approaching 2 decades of being terrible when he landed there after Cleveland. And since then the Chiefs have been lauded as one of the better-run franchises in the league. 

• Like 1

On 2/13/2021 at 7:31 AM, Mr Bad Example said:

He also turned around the Chiefs, who were approaching 2 decades of being terrible when he landed there after Cleveland. And since then the Chiefs have been lauded as one of the better-run franchises in the league. 

Chiefs are the hallmark to me. Arrowhead was empty for so long, which seems inconceivable now no matter how good or bad the team is. Marty made that franchise competitive for a decade. He did improve the Browns, but they were already competitive under Sam Rutigliano for a few years. Speaking of which, I didn't think Sam would outlive Marty. 

• Like 1