Should 2022, 2023 be dedicated to a “win now” mindset?

HeresAGuy

10 minutes ago, Pugger said:

If he was going to retire why would he be in negotiations to restructure his contract?

Saints are like $90 million over the cap next year.  But Brees is due a lot under his current agreement.  He could do nothing and let the Saints hang, but I always sensed that while Brees wants to be recognized and compensated for the great player he was, that he really appreciated the team, and this concession is a tip of the hat on his way out for the Saints to help them with their cap problem.

1 hour ago, HeresAGuy said:

this is what going all in looks like.  Imagine Aaron Rodgers with a defense or these weapons.

You mean the same weapons that forced 2 Patrick Mahomes INTs and kept the Chiefs to 3-13 on 3rd down.  Absolutely mind boggling that the team that won on 3rd down and won the turnover battle ended up winning the game.  Absolutely shocked I am.

• Like 3

25 minutes ago, Rainmaker90 said:

What does this exactly mean? What could going 'all in' look like, and what are the potential downfalls it can cause in the future?

I think for many it is not drafting a QB in round 1.  Not drafting a hybrid TE/FB in round 3.  

If it gets you a super bowl appearance and especially a championship it is probably worth it.

46 minutes ago, Rainmaker90 said:

What does this exactly mean? What could going 'all in' look like, and what are the potential downfalls it can cause in the future?

Going all-in basically involves heavily backloading contracts to free up cap room this year whilst putting you in cap hell in the future. The ramifications i the future are just that - you are going to be in cap hell at some point and going to have to gut the roster

Truly going all-in for 2021 would basically mean we are screwed in 2022. In reality when people say all-in what they probably have in mind is having a two or three year run at it. Which is a bit different. All-in is a cool term people like to use. 

Best example is when people talk about restructuring Adams to save 8m in 2021.  Whilst you save 8m in 2021, you will face big cap hits in future years. In isolation that's OK but if you do that with multiple players then your cap is going to be an almighty mess in the future. Restructures don't save money they just kick it down the road. Every restructure means you have less money to spend in future years. Most of the mocks you read have us doing a lot of restructures mainly because it makes it easier to do a mock. Not so much fun doing a mock where you have to let all your free agents walk and not sign anyone. 

13 hours ago, HeresAGuy said:

this is what going all in looks like.  Imagine Aaron Rodgers with a defense or these weapons.

...most of this team was built before Brady or cheaply one he arrived. They were #6 in DVOA last year. They lost 6 games by one score in a season where Winston threw 30 picks.

On 2/3/2021 at 3:38 PM, HeresAGuy said:

if Rodgers gives us another MVP or close to MVP season, do we feel obligated to do it to close out his contract?  Annual playoff chokers is not  good feeling.  Tired of seeing it.  It offers us nothing but drafting in the 20s.  

2021, no one asks or expects that given the horrendous cap scenario.  go with what you got and hope you have the mental toughness to take down the Bucs this time.  

but after that it’s different.  I feel it’s kinda time to put all the chips on the table and make a couple serious runs at it.  Rodgers is on the tail end and we don’t just owe it to him, but the team at large to go all in and start making some serious moves to get some championships.  

Gute built a super bowl caliber roster for 2021.  This team, (including Rodgers!) blew it.  I don’t know what more you can ask for.

If this narrative that they aren’t all in is because they drafted Jordan love last year, you are going to be disappointed again this year.  The packers (and all smart teams) draft with a focus on 3 years from now.  

I bet a lot of those complaining about not being “ all in” will be the first to call for GM and coach firings once the bill comes due.

Edited by Cpdaly23

If you have your eyes on the future all the time, you will miss out on the now.

There's no guarantees we will have a QB as good as Rodgers and Favre again, perhaps for many years.

This is why focusing on the now whilst you still have a QB of that calibre is necessary because if you don't, blink and suddenly the opportunity passes you by.

We got many of the pieces in place. We just need to do more with the defensive line and linebackers. Giving Rodgers another receiving weapon wouldn't hurt either.

Look at Tampa, they already had alot of pieces in place, brought Brady in and surrounded him with Gronk, Brown and Fournette. Guess what, they scored all the points in the superbowl. They willed themselves to make it happen after they acquired Brady. Of course, that defence was other worldly. I would love to see us have a defence as good as that. Won't be easy but we do already have many key pieces in place.

Todd Bowles had two coaches he trusts impeccably, Kacy Rodgers and Mike Caldwell. They understood each other and together they made the defence a highly dominant unit.

Barry doesn't have anyone like that on this staff. It will take time to build understanding and trust. That's why I pondered the possibility of Evero joining us as defensive backs coach because they know each other well. The Packers are not stupid, they won't force this coaching staff on him, he will be allowed to bring his own guys if need be.

Its about having the will. Looking around and realise "yeah, we're close" and let's go all in for the final couple of years and come away with no regrets even if we don't win the superbowl because at least we can say "we tried".

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Chili said:

If you have your eyes on the future all the time, you will miss out on the now.

There's no guarantees we will have a QB as good as Rodgers and Favre again, perhaps for many years.

This is why focusing on the now whilst you still have a QB of that calibre is necessary because if you don't, blink and suddenly the opportunity passes you by.

We got many of the pieces in place. We just need to do more with the defensive line and linebackers. Giving Rodgers another receiving weapon wouldn't hurt either.

Look at Tampa, they already had alot of pieces in place, brought Brady in and surrounded him with Gronk, Brown and Fournette. Guess what, they scored all the points in the superbowl. They willed themselves to make it happen after they acquired Brady. Of course, that defence was other worldly. I would love to see us have a defence as good as that. Won't be easy but we do already have many key pieces in place.

Todd Bowles had two coaches he trusts impeccably, Kacy Rodgers and Mike Caldwell. They understood each other and together they made the defence a highly dominant unit.

Barry doesn't have anyone like that on this staff. It will take time to build understanding and trust. That's why I pondered the possibility of Evero joining us as defensive backs coach because they know each other well. The Packers are not stupid, they won't force this coaching staff on him, he will be allowed to bring his own guys if need be.

Its about having the will. Looking around and realise "yeah, we're close" and let's go all in for the final couple of years and come away with no regrets even if we don't win the superbowl because at least we can say "we tried".

Couldnt have said it better my self.  If thats what you do, and it works out, you are mentally at peace with the years that follow because you absolutely gave it your best shot.  When one or two guys come in for the "all in" construct, then more guys who are serious on winning a championship see what is going on here, and want a piece of it.  Before you know it, youve built a  team absolutely nobody wants anything to do with on a team friendly "win now" roster with 2-3 year deals.  The Patriots did it before, the Buccs did it yesterday.  Sure the Pats are "paying for it now", but jesus, look it what it got them.  You telling me you wouldnt take that?

Edited by HeresAGuy

21 minutes ago, HeresAGuy said:

Couldnt have said it better my self.  If thats what you do, and it works out, you are mentally at peace with the years that follow because you absolutely gave it your best shot.  When one or two guys come in for the "all in" construct, then more guys who are serious on winning a championship see what is going on here, and want a piece of it.  Before you know it, youve built a  team absolutely nobody wants anything to do with on a team friendly "win now" roster with 2-3 year deals.  The Patriots did it before, the Buccs did it yesterday.  Sure the Pats are "paying for it now", but jesus, look it what it got them.  You telling me you wouldnt take that?

The options aren't:

Go all in and win a Superbowl this year and then suck for 3 years

Vs

Invest sustainably and lose in the NFCCG 4 consecutive years.

The options are:

Go all in and have a 20% chance of winning the Superbowl in year 1 and a 4% chance the next 3 years

Vs

Roll forward with a 9% chance at a Superbowl for 4 consecutive years. 

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

The options aren't:

Go all in and win a Superbowl this year and then suck for 3 years

Vs

Invest sustainably and lose in the NFCCG 4 consecutive years.

The options are:

Go all in and have a 20% chance of winning the Superbowl in year 1 and a 4% chance the next 3 years

Vs

Roll forward with a 9% chance at a Superbowl for 4 consecutive years. 

The question becomes: what time is the right time to go for the 20%, if ever? Some here certainly appear to be of the opinion to just stick with the 9% and keep that rolling assuming Love hits or the next guy hits. That's a valid answer. Others say, okay, we've stuck with 9% since 2011 and it has failed year after year for one reason or another, we still have Rodgers for now, so why not go for the 20% now even if we risk 4% later...

Rodgers will be 38 this year. So stick with 9% or go for the 20%? 

Just a tidbit from Herman's youtube chat this morning. Tampa's first two draft picks last year ?? Wirfs and Winfield. Yes, they drafted higher than the Packers, but let's be real. Who is Tampa's starting QB in 2025 ? Who cares. Who is their starting running back next year ? Who cares.

Edited by cannondale
  • Like 1