Should 2022, 2023 be dedicated to a “win now” mindset?

HeresAGuy

1 hour ago, squire12 said:

Agreed.  He is "hurting " for a more positive legacy.

More than likely true.  Both Rodgers and Favre with only 1 super bowl ring is pretty sad.  Number of reasons why has been discussed ad nauseam.  He's made his money for sure over the years and earned it.  That being said, if he wants another ring (after this blown chance last month), restructuring his contract to a team friendly position would certainly help.  Not sure his ego will permit it but the upcoming season with a lower cap dictates dollars being "moved" for sure.  How they do it and for who/what will be the determining factor.  As suggested, his positive legacy may hinge on doing just that. 

15 minutes ago, coachbuns said:

More than likely true.  Both Rodgers and Favre with only 1 super bowl ring is pretty sad.  Number of reasons why has been discussed ad nauseam.  He's made his money for sure over the years and earned it.  That being said, if he wants another ring (after this blown chance last month), restructuring his contract to a team friendly position would certainly help.  Not sure his ego will permit it but the upcoming season with a lower cap dictates dollars being "moved" for sure.  How they do it and for who/what will be the determining factor.  As suggested, his positive legacy may hinge on doing just that. 

I have to think any restructure of Aaron's current deal to free up 2021 cap space would result in large guarantees for Rodgers through 2023.  Getting the FO to commit to that path will be a much bigger hurdle than ego issues from Rodgers.

35 minutes ago, coachbuns said:

Desire for being (nearly )highest  paid QB

Vs

Legacy of Super Bowl wins

Not necessarily mutually exclusive,  but often hard to pair together.

21 hours ago, Scoremore said:

I respectfully disagree.  He had absolutely no time in the pocket.  No current QB in the league would have played better than Rodgers did in that game.  I stand by my comments.  You had a first hand look in the SB.  Mahommes who many consider to be the best QB in the league crumbled.  I don't know what you guys expect.  It's ridiculous to put this loss on Rodgers.  He wasn't the problem.

Yes, the super bowl showed that there is a limit to what a QB do if being harassed all day. There is a reason pass rushers are also paid the big money. Tampa's pass rush beat us the same way that it beat KC. These games showed the world that Rodgers and Mahones are human which people should've known anyway. Its a bit silly to blame either of them for the respective defeats.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, Mazrimiv said:

I have to think any restructure of Aaron's current deal to free up 2021 cap space would result in large guarantees for Rodgers through 2023.  Getting the FO to commit to that path will be a much bigger hurdle than ego issues from Rodgers.

Yes.

If you take him for his word, Rodgers wants to play for the Packers for his career and last summer woke him up to the possibility that might not happen. I don't think you can go to league MVP Rodgers with a straight face asking him to take a pay cut whilst Love is waiting in the wings to take his place in 22 or 23.

I would guess that from Rodgers perspective, any discussions re any restructure would start with essentially taking the option of moving on from him in the next few years off the table. Its impossible to know what's going in his head but again if you take him for his word then guess there's a possibility of him making cap-friendly moves for longer term security. 

Like you say, the FO might not want to go down that path. 

17 minutes ago, mikemike778 said:

Yes, the super bowl showed that there is a limit to what a QB do if being harassed all day. There is a reason pass rushers are also paid the big money. Tampa's pass rush beat us the same way that it beat KC. These games showed the world that Rodgers and Mahones are human which people should've known anyway. Its a bit silly to blame either of them for the respective defeats.

It's not a matter of blaming Rodgers.  Overall he played well vs TB, and was not "the reason" GB lost the game.  That doesn't mean he didn't miss opportunities that were there.  If Rodgers is graded differently than other players on the roster, it's because he is (by far) the most important piece of GB's winning formula.  Rodgers is not expected to play at an above average level, he is expected to play at an elite level.  IMO it's not unfair to grade him on that scale.

• Like 2

On 2/13/2021 at 2:26 PM, JBURGE said:

If Rodgers wants to have a better chance at winning, he should do what Brady and Brees did for their later years, and leave some money on the table. Not that I personally think he should do that, but if he wants rings and he wants them here, he has to consider it. 

This just doesn't hold water.  How did it work for Brees?  You need to be fortunate/lucky AND very good.  Brady took less money because he knew he couldn't carry a team.  He always needed the supporting cast, plus, face it- he is one of the most fortunate QBs ever.  Rodgers is arguably the most talented QB ever.  We've been to four NFCCGs, two of them we were snake bitten and the other two we were ONLY there because Rodgers carried us there.   Posted this before, but feel it is relevant to the conversation:

Packers Defense in Playoffs with ARodg at QB (excluding 2010)-- 16 games - 456 points allowed 2020

New York Jets Defense -- 16 games - 457 points allowed. (28.5 ppg)

I hope this perspective helps folks understand just how bad our defense has played when the chips are down.

On 2/14/2021 at 9:52 AM, coachbuns said:

Restructured-contracts don’t require a reduced ego. Pay-cuts require a reduced ego. They aren’t the same thing. 

The number of restructures that actually result in a pay-cut are very small. & practically unheard-of for a guy playing at a MVP/Pro-Bowl level. 

20 hours ago, Dubz41 said:

This just doesn't hold water.  How did it work for Brees?  You need to be fortunate/lucky AND very good.  Brady took less money because he knew he couldn't carry a team.  He always needed the supporting cast, plus, face it- he is one of the most fortunate QBs ever.  Rodgers is arguably the most talented QB ever.  We've been to four NFCCGs, two of them we were snake bitten and the other two we were ONLY there because Rodgers carried us there.   Posted this before, but feel it is relevant to the conversation:

Packers Defense in Playoffs with ARodg at QB (excluding 2010)-- 16 games - 456 points allowed 2020

New York Jets Defense -- 16 games - 457 points allowed. (28.5 ppg)

I hope this perspective helps folks understand just how bad our defense has played when the chips are down.

That's only playing against playoff caliber offense. If the Jets only played against playoff caliber offenses they would have blown far past records for incompetence. 

On 2/14/2021 at 11:00 AM, mikemike778 said:

Yes.

If you take him for his word, Rodgers wants to play for the Packers for his career and last summer woke him up to the possibility that might not happen. I don't think you can go to league MVP Rodgers with a straight face asking him to take a pay cut whilst Love is waiting in the wings to take his place in 22 or 23.

I would guess that from Rodgers perspective, any discussions re any restructure would start with essentially taking the option of moving on from him in the next few years off the table. Its impossible to know what's going in his head but again if you take him for his word then guess there's a possibility of him making cap-friendly moves for longer term security. 

Like you say, the FO might not want to go down that path. 

If this is the case, and you committed to Rodgers for the duration of this contract, is there any point in keep Love? He might see playing time (outside of the preseason) in the next 3 years, but would it make sense to keep him around or trade him?

I have to imagine the price is less than we paid for him, but if we really are in win now mode, and we've already created a cap mess for the post-Rodgers years, what's the point in keeping him around?

7 hours ago, TransientTexan said:

Restructured-contracts don’t require a reduced ego. Pay-cuts require a reduced ego. They aren’t the same thing. 

The number of restructures that actually result in a pay-cut are very small. & practically unheard-of for a guy playing at a MVP/Pro-Bowl level. 

I don't disagree that point one bit.

On 2/17/2021 at 3:22 PM, pgwingman said:

If this is the case, and you committed to Rodgers for the duration of this contract, is there any point in keep Love? He might see playing time (outside of the preseason) in the next 3 years, but would it make sense to keep him around or trade him?

I have to imagine the price is less than we paid for him, but if we really are in win now mode, and we've already created a cap mess for the post-Rodgers years, what's the point in keeping him around?

Suppose it would depend what you get for him.  

Now would probably be the worst time to trade him value wise -  nobody has seen him play in pre-season or real games. All they know (if we did try and trade him) is he couldn't beat out Boyle for QB2 and the team who drafted him wants rid. Even a 2nd sounds unlikely so if you think he can be a good back-up for a few years, there's value in keeping him for that.

• 2 weeks later...