Jump to content

Should 2022, 2023 be dedicated to a “win now” mindset?


Recommended Posts

if Rodgers gives us another MVP or close to MVP season, do we feel obligated to do it to close out his contract?  Annual playoff chokers is not  good feeling.  Tired of seeing it.  It offers us nothing but drafting in the 20s.  


2021, no one asks or expects that given the horrendous cap scenario.  go with what you got and hope you have the mental toughness to take down the Bucs this time.  

but after that it’s different.  I feel it’s kinda time to put all the chips on the table and make a couple serious runs at it.  Rodgers is on the tail end and we don’t just owe it to him, but the team at large to go all in and start making some serious moves to get some championships.  
 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, HeresAGuy said:

if Rodgers gives us another MVP or close to MVP season, do we feel obligated to do it to close out his contract?  Annual playoff chokers is not  good feeling.  Tired of seeing it.  It offers us nothing but drafting in the 20s.  


2021, no one asks or expects that given the horrendous cap scenario.  go with what you got and hope you have the mental toughness to take down the Bucs this time.  

but after that it’s different.  I feel it’s kinda time to put all the chips on the table and make a couple serious runs at it.  Rodgers is on the tail end and we don’t just owe it to him, but the team at large to go all in and start making some serious moves to get some championships.  
 

 

I think I would take one more stab at this thing with Rodgers and if we come up short again I would move in a different direction.  He's had four bites at the championship game apple since winning it all in 10' and has come up short.  It's far from all his fault, but he's underperformed in some big games.  There's more to it all than having the all-world qb.  The cap saving would allow the Packers to allocate some money differently.

Edited by {Family Ghost}
Link to post
Share on other sites

It's very simple: Packers need to make a decision on one of the spectrum or the other. If they keep Rodgers around, you spend every dime and make every move necessary, regardless of present/future cost, to have the strongest roster you absolutely can have for a SB run, period. You do whatever it takes to win now, regardless of the future. Otherwise, what are you doing, shooting for division titles?  

If you're not willing to do this, then just trade Rodgers already. There is no in-between. 

  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, packfanfb said:

It's very simple: Packers need to make a decision on one of the spectrum or the other. If they keep Rodgers around, you spend every dime and make every move necessary, regardless of present/future cost, to have the strongest roster you absolutely can have for a SB run, period. You do whatever it takes to win now, regardless of the future. Otherwise, what are you doing, shooting for division titles?  

If you're not willing to do this, then just trade Rodgers already. There is no in-between. 

Yes, there is. TT and Gutey's entire philosophy is to keep the team competitive year after year by developing draft capital. Gutey is a bit more aggressive than TT but it's hard to argue with their success over time giving them multiple shots at the  SB. It's frustrating to not get SB titles, but no one else in the league has seen the sustained competitiveness aside from one team that just went into a rebuild.

  • Like 5
Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, Arthur Penske said:

Yes, there is. TT and Gutey's entire philosophy is to keep the team competitive year after year by developing draft capital. Gutey is a bit more aggressive than TT but it's hard to argue with their success over time giving them multiple shots at the  SB. It's frustrating to not get SB titles, but no one else in the league has seen the sustained competitiveness aside from one team that just went into a rebuild.

There is an in between, him and others just hate it lol. Not sure what side of the argument I fall on that anymore though

Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, Arthur Penske said:

Yes, there is. TT and Gutey's entire philosophy is to keep the team competitive year after year by developing draft capital. Gutey is a bit more aggressive than TT but it's hard to argue with their success over time giving them multiple shots at the  SB. It's frustrating to not get SB titles, but no one else in the league has seen the sustained competitiveness aside from one team that just went into a rebuild.

Agree with this overall.  However, it would be so frickin nice to get to the big dance after the numerous chances the past few years.  Not saying all in but good god, just that player or two could make a hell of a difference.

Link to post
Share on other sites
24 minutes ago, Arthur Penske said:

Yes, there is. TT and Gutey's entire philosophy is to keep the team competitive year after year by developing draft capital. Gutey is a bit more aggressive than TT but it's hard to argue with their success over time giving them multiple shots at the  SB. It's frustrating to not get SB titles, but no one else in the league has seen the sustained competitiveness aside from one team that just went into a rebuild.

This. And it is the smart way to run a team. Winning a Super Bowl requires a lot of luck. Having the ball bounce right, staying relatively healthy, etc. Say the Packers move "all in", whatever that means, and they don't win the Super Bowl, then there are in the same position they are in now with a substantial rebuild ahead of them.

The wise move is to keep the window open as long as possible and eventually luck will turn in their favor.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, Arthur Penske said:

Yes, there is. TT and Gutey's entire philosophy is to keep the team competitive year after year by developing draft capital. Gutey is a bit more aggressive than TT but it's hard to argue with their success over time giving them multiple shots at the  SB. It's frustrating to not get SB titles, but no one else in the league has seen the sustained competitiveness aside from one team that just went into a rebuild.

When you have Aaron Rodgers the only thing that matters is the SB. 2019 was a failure. 2020 was a failure. That's the standard. 

And that's not even saying we didn't basically do that in 2020. Gute made some nice in-season moves to shore up the roster. I'll never agree with the Love decision, but it is what it is. The point is you're going to have to reload again this year (even with little money) and again in 2022, etc if you want to get over the top. That's going to require pushing money into the future, so be it. Otherwise it'll be the same thing every year where there's one or two teams we just cant seem to get by. That's a waste. At that point, just save the money and trade 12. 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Yes.  it is time to go all in.  That what this fan wants.

I would like to see Rodgers extended a little.  And I'd like us to load up on mid-level vets to solidify the roster.

While we are at it, let's trade Love and see what we can get.  Commit to Rodgers for the next 5 years.

Draft his heir apparent in 3 years.  Roll with Boyle as the backup.

And that is most certainly what we will not do.  Front office does not work that way, nor should it.  The above is fandom.  Pure and adulterated fandom.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Nah, we'll keep settling for divisional game appearances. We are never going to go all in. And forget about trading Love, that's never gonna happen. He'll be starting in a couple years.

If you think otherwise, you're just lying to yourselves.

Edited by VonKarman
Link to post
Share on other sites
43 minutes ago, Norm said:

There is an in between, him and others just hate it lol. Not sure what side of the argument I fall on that anymore though

This is true under normal circumstances. Those circumstances don't apply, IMO, when you have a 37-year old MVP QB. Those are the facts before us right now. You either maximize Rodgers now and forget about the rest for the time being, or you don't, in which case I'd ask again, what's the point of that? 

Now, of course, there still are no guarantees you win a SB with that approach, but there's never a guarantee. That's far from the point. Two recent examples of this approach are Denver and the Saints. Denver got Manning committed to a 3-4 year run with him. They committed all of their resources those 4 years and went for it. The result was 2 SB appearances and 1 win. Well worth it regardless of what the next few years after Manning looked like. Conversely, the Saints have done the same for the last few years with Brees (which is why they are $100m over the cap right now) and they never made the SB, coming real close in 2018 but got screwed on the PI no-call against the Rams. So, does that mean the Saints made a mistake using up all of their resources now while they had Brees? Again, I'd say no. They knew this was their shot and the took it. 

The Packers came close this year to getting there this year. That should motivate them to go even harder, not hit the brake. Gutey just said the following: 

I for one, hope he takes all the "risk" necessary to put the best squad on the field for 2021. Go for it. 

Edited by packfanfb
  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

I feel like we were all in this year, and I feel like we will be next year.

I think the only people whining about not being "all in" are the ones who want Madden off-seasons where last year we trade for Deandre Hopkins or Watt this year.

Jordan Love is the only move we made where we could've improved and chose to instead look to the future. The QB position to me is a trump card to any other moves, when you think you have a chance to get a good one, you do it.

  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Packerraymond said:

I feel like we were all in this year, and I feel like we will be next year.

I think the only people whining about not being "all in" are the ones who want Madden off-seasons where last year we trade for Deandre Hopkins or Watt this year.

Jordan Love is the only move we made where we could've improved and chose to instead look to the future. The QB position to me is a trump card to any other moves, when you think you have a chance to get a good one, you do it.

2020 and 2021 are very different scenarios though. It was pretty easy to be closer to "all in" last year because the Packers did not have to make a ton of hard financial decisions to get there. This year will probably be different and will require contract restructures, etc. Will the Packers move enough money around to address all of their needs for the 2021 roster? That remains to be seen. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

The front office brass should do what is best for the team, now and for the future.  Both.  With zero consideration for what the supposed fan base wants.

They will try to win it all next year, like they did last year and the year before and will do the year after next.  

We have to do something with 12, and for now that's likely an extension.  I would hope not one that would limit us in the future.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, packfanfb said:

When you have Aaron Rodgers the only thing that matters is the SB. 2019 was a failure. 2020 was a failure. That's the standard. 

And that's not even saying we didn't basically do that in 2020. Gute made some nice in-season moves to shore up the roster. I'll never agree with the Love decision, but it is what it is. The point is you're going to have to reload again this year (even with little money) and again in 2022, etc if you want to get over the top. That's going to require pushing money into the future, so be it. Otherwise it'll be the same thing every year where there's one or two teams we just cant seem to get by. That's a waste. At that point, just save the money and trade 12. 

I’m as big of a 12 fan as there is. He’s my favorite athlete of all time. And I think the he best QB of all time. He’s gotten absolutely screwed over by defenses and coaching in the championships games in his prime, including the most recent but the fact is he had 2 shots to win that last NFCCG, and didn’t deliver. It’s surprising and pains me to say it, but it’s true.It was a hell of a time for a very non Aaron Rodgers drive(s).

*note that does not mean I don’t put major and primary blame on the defensive and coaching blunders in that game. Also that Brady choked too.
 

Murphy/Gutey’s/ball gave him one of the brightest offensive minds in the league to work with. Gutey gave him the resources to win it all this year and kept us competitive going forward. Gutey will do it in 2021 too. Hopefully we get over the hump.

Edited by Arthur Penske
  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

×
×
  • Create New...