Should 2022, 2023 be dedicated to a “win now” mindset?

HeresAGuy

Nah sorry if you mean go all in and put us in salary cap hell I'll take a pass.  Do the best you can but always keep an eye on the future.  Pretty much what Gute has been doing.  He's been pretty aggressive I don't know what more people can expect.  We are already in cap trouble as it is.  Given the circumstances at the time of the Love pick believe it was an astute move.  Honestly did anyone expect Rodgers to have a MVP season this year?  This is the first year he has returned to form since the broken clavicle. 

Personally I thought he was on the decline.  Still a really good QB but not the Aaron Rodgers of old.  He played a great game in the NFC championship.  The offensive line could not contain the Bucs.  Bad match up is what it is.  Heavy pressure all game meanwhile we barely laid a glove on Brady. Not his fault we lost.  It's football only 1 out of 32 teams season doesn't end in heartbreak.  On to the draft.

52 minutes ago, packfanfb said:

Conversely, the Saints have done the same for the last few years with Brees (which is why they are $100m over the cap right now) and they never made the SB, coming real close in 2018 but got screwed on the PI no-call against the Rams. So, does that mean the Saints made a mistake using up all of their resources now while they had Brees? Again, I'd say no. They knew this was their shot and the took it. 

Unequivocally yes. The short shortsightedness of that organization is a huge problem. They have no QB, no cap space, a high draft pick, and no rings.

You want to be in that position? 

2 hours ago, packfanfb said:

It's very simple: Packers need to make a decision on one of the spectrum or the other. If they keep Rodgers around, you spend every dime and make every move necessary, regardless of present/future cost, to have the strongest roster you absolutely can have for a SB run, period.

How exactly does a SB run look any different than what we've been doing?

13-3 each of the last two years. NFCCG the last two years....#1 seed this year. 
Losers in the NFCCG the last two years.....but what exactly "extra" would constitute "going all in?"

5 minutes ago, Leader said:

Losers in the NFCCG the last two years.....but what exactly "extra" would constitute "going all in?"

That varies depending on how you feel about certain position groups. 

1 hour ago, SpeightTheVillain said:

Unequivocally yes. The short shortsightedness of that organization is a huge problem. They have no QB, no cap space, a high draft pick, and no rings.

You want to be in that position? 

I don't but I accept that it is a consequence of shooting your shot. 

11 minutes ago, Leader said:

Signing guys like Allen Robinson, and then swinging a deal for JJ Watt.  Somthing like that, perhaps?

1 minute ago, {Family Ghost} said:

Signing guys like Allen Robinson, and then swinging a deal for JJ Watt.  Somthing like that, perhaps?

Guys / contracts are going to disappear this offseason and minus restructuring a number of other contracts, I dont see us having the cash to sign these guys. It's gonna take more than two to tango.

And the "JJ's gonna take a massive paycut just to come to Green Bay" theory........I'll believe (and applaud) it when it happens.

8 minutes ago, packfanfb said:

That varies depending on how you feel about certain position groups. 

Need a bit more meat on that bone to know what you're intending to say.
If GB hasnt been "all in" the last two years - what amount of "extra" is necessary?

We've been the losers in the last two NFCCGs. We've been "right there."
Hell - we've been losers in four of the last seven NFCCGs!

Some teams / organizations havent gotten a sniff of the playoffs in a really (really) long time.

We have to figure out how NOT to lose that last game.
Then - figure out the SB.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, packfanfb said:

I don't but I accept that it is a consequence of shooting your shot. 

Not to mention the Packers, under the current model of extending the window, have made it closer to a Super Bowl than the Saints the last two seasons.

It was a bad move by their organization and now they will face the consequences.

3 minutes ago, Leader said:

Some teams / organizations havent gotten a sniff of the playoffs in a really (really) long time.

That's because they don't have Rodgers. That's the whole point here. 

People talk about keeping the window open, that window closes the moment 12 takes his last snap as a Packer. Even if Love or the next guy is good, there's a transition period of a year or two. Rodgers was 6-10 his first year. Rodgers IS the window. 

He's about to be 38. This is the time to push the leverage. Restructure guys as needed. Part with a few draft picks for proven players. How about a trade at the deadline? You're in the window to make those types of moves despite the risks. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, packfanfb said:

It's very simple: Packers need to make a decision on one of the spectrum or the other. If they keep Rodgers around, you spend every dime and make every move necessary, regardless of present/future cost, to have the strongest roster you absolutely can have for a SB run, period. You do whatever it takes to win now, regardless of the future. Otherwise, what are you doing, shooting for division titles?  

If you're not willing to do this, then just trade Rodgers already. There is no in-between. 

Thats where Im at.  Couldnt have said it any better

1 minute ago, packfanfb said:

That's because they don't have Rodgers. That's the whole point here. 

People talk about keeping the window open, that window closes the moment 12 takes his last snap as a Packer. Even if Love or the next guy is good, there's a transition period of a year or two. Rodgers was 6-10 his first year. Rodgers IS the window. 

He's about to be 38. This is the time to push the leverage. Restructure guys as needed. Part with a few draft picks for proven players. How about a trade at the deadline? You're in the window to make those types of moves despite the risks. 

Yessssss.....and I anticipate GB will be active this offseason. 

Still - doesnt speak to them NOT being all in already. Thats the point I've been making.
We've reached the mountaintop....consistently.....only to fall back just as we reach the summit.

We're not consistently doing that by luck or happenstance.

2 hours ago, packfanfb said:

When you have Aaron Rodgers the only thing that matters is the SB. 2019 was a failure. 2020 was a failure. That's the standard. 

And that's not even saying we didn't basically do that in 2020. Gute made some nice in-season moves to shore up the roster. I'll never agree with the Love decision, but it is what it is. The point is you're going to have to reload again this year (even with little money) and again in 2022, etc if you want to get over the top. That's going to require pushing money into the future, so be it. Otherwise it'll be the same thing every year where there's one or two teams we just cant seem to get by. That's a waste. At that point, just save the money and trade 12. 

Thats the thing, when you look over the span of the Rodgers era, if you were to say that we had Aaron Rodgers for all this time, and only won one lousy super bowl, that would be regarded as a failure.  No better than any all in/rebuild/all in/rebuild cycle model 

5 minutes ago, HeresAGuy said:

Thats the thing, when you look over the span of the Rodgers era, if you were to say that we had Aaron Rodgers for all this time, and only won one lousy super bowl, that would be regarded as a failure.  No better than any all in/rebuild/all in/rebuild cycle model 

1 team looks back realizing they went all in and it didn't work out.  

1 team looks back realizing they didn't go all in and wonder what might have been.