Should 2022, 2023 be dedicated to a “win now” mindset?

HeresAGuy

31 minutes ago, HeresAGuy said:

Thats the thing, when you look over the span of the Rodgers era, if you were to say that we had Aaron Rodgers for all this time, and only won one lousy super bowl, that would be regarded as a failure.  No better than any all in/rebuild/all in/rebuild cycle model 

I mean, I get winning Super Bowls is the ultimate goal but 5 NFC Championship appearances, 1 Superbowl win, .596 win percentage, 3 losing seasons out of 13. To act like the Packers haven't been wildly successful during this period is disingenuous at best. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, packfanfb said:

It's very simple: Packers need to make a decision on one of the spectrum or the other. If they keep Rodgers around, you spend every dime and make every move necessary, regardless of present/future cost, to have the strongest roster you absolutely can have for a SB run, period. You do whatever it takes to win now, regardless of the future. Otherwise, what are you doing, shooting for division titles?  

If you're not willing to do this, then just trade Rodgers already. There is no in-between. 

I'm tired of seeing this junk being repeated.  Somehow, you have to be one way or the other.  The reality is you can do both.  This whole notion that you need to be "all in" is a load of bull.  I mean, how many people thought that Billy Turner would adequately replace Bryan Bulaga this year?  I sure as hell didn't.  Who would have thought that Allen Lazard and MVS would be WR2 and WR3 on the #1 ranked offense?  It's a lazy argument.

• Like 5

Man, this is a good thread because people are making a lot of sense. Some terms we kick around mean different things to different people anyway. Calling someone a JAG means trash to some people and league average to others. "Going all in" seems a bit like that, loaded with personal takes on what it even means.

I certainly agree that the free agent frenzy that brought us the Smith bros and Billy was "an all in" move. Drafting Love was brutally not--textbook managing for down the road.

After this year's bitter pill, I am almost feeling like our window just closed anyway, given the lack of financial maneuvering room. It's not that we won't be a very good team. I think we will be. It's just hard to have enough breaks on injuries and matchups and bounces go your way to get back to the NFCC game even when you're good.

All I can say is I trust Gute. I think this will be a much more active offseason than some think. People act like we have to have Love on the field in year two or three... Aaron sat three and the organization gave him a nice contract extension for "prove it" years. Love can be the same. I know people will bring up your best chance to win is on the rookie deals, but your best chance to win is when you have a great QB. We have one right now. Love can still be had, and even if it isn't during his rookie contract he can still be here too. A lot of grey area right now for the Packers. It doesn't have to be black and white. Lets see what the cap is, what the draft is, and what this front office wants to do. We are not out of the "window" yet. 

• Like 2

On 2/3/2021 at 9:51 PM, packfanfb said:

It's very simple: Packers need to make a decision on one of the spectrum or the other. If they keep Rodgers around, you spend every dime and make every move necessary, regardless of present/future cost, to have the strongest roster you absolutely can have for a SB run, period. You do whatever it takes to win now, regardless of the future. Otherwise, what are you doing, shooting for division titles?  

If you're not willing to do this, then just trade Rodgers already. There is no in-between. 

But when ?

If you do what you suggest to go all in for 2021 then you naturally make it harder to compete in 2022 and 2023. Its all very well extending everyone and pushing the cap hits down the line but at some point you have to pay for it. Its fine to have a throw everything into it window but you probably need to schedule in a tank year if you do that and it would have to be relatively soon. You can probably do buy now, pay later for 2021 and 2022 but not much longer than that.

If Bakh doesn't get injured, there is a reasonable chance we get to the super bowl this year. What we have been doing is basically working. Its very much win-now whilst giving yourself the chance to be win-now next season as well. 

Maybe we should do that. Plan in Love taking over in 2023 and schedule that in as a 'time to pay' year.  Fiddle the cap as much as possible to give us as much money as possible for 2021 and 2022. Rodgers will be 40 in 2023 so maybe that's the best time.   

13 hours ago, jleisher said:

I believe every year you should be all in, regardless of the players you have.

All-in basically means you push everything into the middle saving nothing for the future. Spend most of next year's resources today.  If you go all-in for 2021 then you screw 2022 that's a natural consequence. If you leave yourself money for 2022 then you haven't gone all-in in 2021.

You can go win-now which is different and what we are doing.

On 2/3/2021 at 10:27 PM, packfanfb said:

When you have Aaron Rodgers the only thing that matters is the SB. 2019 was a failure. 2020 was a failure. That's the standard. 

So I just forget about the season and tune in when (if) they get to the SB ?

Whoever you have on your team (and I've said this before) it's the journey that matters - if the Pack get to the SB, so much the better................if not, shed a tear and move on. SBs are the ultimate goal (obviously)), but they are not the only thing that matters.

As for going all-in, unnecessary in my view, just keep doing what you're doing because the Packers are only a different bounce or two from being in the SB. No team is quite the same year to year, but the Packers are close to being where all teams want to be (two 13-3 seasons).

Edited by OneTwoSixFive

On 2/3/2021 at 6:41 PM, Scoremore said:

Nah sorry if you mean go all in and put us in salary cap hell I'll take a pass.  Do the best you can but always keep an eye on the future.  Pretty much what Gute has been doing.  He's been pretty aggressive I don't know what more people can expect.  We are already in cap trouble as it is.  Given the circumstances at the time of the Love pick believe it was an astute move.  Honestly did anyone expect Rodgers to have a MVP season this year?  This is the first year he has returned to form since the broken clavicle. 

Personally I thought he was on the decline.  Still a really good QB but not the Aaron Rodgers of old.  He played a great game in the NFC championship.  The offensive line could not contain the Bucs.  Bad match up is what it is.  Heavy pressure all game meanwhile we barely laid a glove on Brady. Not his fault we lost.  It's football only 1 out of 32 teams season doesn't end in heartbreak.  On to the draft.

If indeed this is a superior draft class for OT then perhaps we can bolster that line so teams like Tampa won't ruin our offensive plans going forward.  Fix that, get another decent WR (We don't need to get one in the first.  Our #1 guy was a 2nd rounder.) and get a DC who is aggressive and puts our players in the best possible position to be successful the next couple of season just might be a lot of fun.

On 2/3/2021 at 6:41 PM, SpeightTheVillain said:

Unequivocally yes. The short shortsightedness of that organization is a huge problem. They have no QB, no cap space, a high draft pick, and no rings.

You want to be in that position? 

No QB?  I wonder if Brees will be back.  I'm surprised he hasn't made an announcement yet...

On 2/3/2021 at 7:45 PM, {Family Ghost} said:

Signing guys like Allen Robinson, and then swinging a deal for JJ Watt.  Somthing like that, perhaps?

I like your first suggestion but I don't know if I want us to go after JJ.  Yes, we need to upgrade our DL but can we afford to pay someone who is past his prime that kind of coin?

1 minute ago, Pugger said:

No QB?  I wonder if Brees will be back.  I'm surprised he hasn't made an announcement yet...

I think in a hint he won't be back the Saints and Brees are now restructuring his contract.  He is apparently agreeing to reduce his base salary next year to the players minimum, so the Saint's save $24 million against the cap next year.  If he is just giving up money...thats really big of him.  I wonder if Rodgers would do the same if we restructured his contact and extended it a few years to give him security.  Then when he retired in 3-4 years he gives the Packers a concession like that.

2 minutes ago, minnypackerfan said:

I think in a hint he won't be back the Saints and Brees are now restructuring his contract.  He is apparently agreeing to reduce his base salary next year to the players minimum, so the Saint's save $24 million against the cap next year.  If he is just giving up money...thats really big of him.  I wonder if Rodgers would do the same if we restructured his contact and extended it a few years to give him security.  Then when he retired in 3-4 years he gives the Packers a concession like that.

If he was going to retire why would he be in negotiations to restructure his contract?