2021 off-season discussion

BStanRamFan

32 minutes ago, StLunatic88 said:

And now youre claiming Everett was one of the WORST Tight Ends in the entire league? This is that embarrassing garbage you see from fans as they try to trash guys who left to make themselves feel better about losing them. I mean thats just an absurd comment that completely proves my point. 

Out of 91 TE's that caught a pass last year, Everett ranks 81st in terms of drop % (11.3% of passes were dropped that he was targeted).

If you filter out TE's that played 12+ games and were targeted 10+ times during the entire season, Everett ranks 61st out of 63 TE's in terms of drop %. Marcedes Lewis and Demetrius Harris were the only ones below him. 

He may not be the worst TE in the league, but he was the bottom of the barrel. It's not hyperbole or fan justification, it's objective at this point. 

Edited by BStanRamFan

16 minutes ago, BStanRamFan said:

Out of 91 TE's that caught a pass last year, Everett ranks 81st in terms of drop % (11.3% of passes were dropped that he was targeted).

If you filter out TE's that played 12+ games and were targeted 10+ times during the entire season, Everett ranks 61st out of 63 TE's in terms of drop %. Marcedes Lewis and Demetrius Harris were the only ones below him. 

He may not be the worst TE in the league, but he was the bottom of the barrel. It's not hyperbole or fan justification, it's objective at this point. 

His drops were very frustrating. The only good thing about him was IF he caught it, he did pretty well after the catch. Hopkins needs to step up this year. I’m not a fan of our TE room honestly. 

6 minutes ago, MDY10 said:

His drops were very frustrating. The only good thing about him was IF he caught it, he did pretty well after the catch. Hopkins needs to step up this year. I’m not a fan of our TE room honestly. 

Yeah I think we go more 5 wide with Kupp, Woods, VJ, D-Jax, Tutu. Or 4 wide and Higbee. 

Alot of the personnel groupings were to play to Goff's abilities/inabilities so we should see less 2 TE sets this year with Stafford. I do see alot of potential in the group behind Higbee with Hopkins, Harris, and Skowronek. Mundt might be out of a job. 

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, BStanRamFan said:

It's really silly to only judge Everett based on drop rate. Because I'm sure he ranked in the top 10 percent of TEs after the catch. He was also a decent blocker. He's absolutely replaceable but it'd hard to imagine Hopkins will be a better blocker or better after the catch. Though he should be better at contested catches because it is hard to get worse than Everett. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, BStanRamFan said:

So now were using single stats to rank players? Would make more sense on how Williams made it to Top 10 CB if thats true

I never said he was Antonio Gates here, but he objectively had the most talent of all the TEs on this team. He was drafted that way as well. He never put it all together, but he was a threat that defenses had to game plan for, and now thats gone, and was not directly replaced.

Its very illuminating that some feel attacked when we are just pointing out that this team isnt perfect.

41 minutes ago, StLunatic88 said:

So now were using single stats to rank players? Would make more sense on how Williams made it to Top 10 CB if thats true

I never said he was Antonio Gates here, but he objectively had the most talent of all the TEs on this team. He was drafted that way as well. He never put it all together, but he was a threat that defenses had to game plan for, and now thats gone, and was not directly replaced.

Its very illuminating that some feel attacked when we are just pointing out that this team isnt perfect.

Everett always had me thinking or Jared Cook. Not saying the same skill set just they were both talented but both would disappoint more than impress. Higbee is decent but for once I’d like the Rams to have a truly good TE.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, StLunatic88 said:

It shouldn't just be one stat that dictates a player's value, but the ability to catch the ball is an important metric for TE's. And again, he's not the worst TE in football, but to act like we should miss him is just flat out wrong. 

No team is perfect, so to say the Rams aren't perfect is a pointless statement to make. We have the best odds to win the SuperBowl our entire time under McVay heading into a season and yet people want to bring our fans down to earth over uncertainty at our slot corner, 2nd TE position, and return man situation? It's just absurd to hear an actual fan think this way. The only thing I agree with you on is that our depth at O-Line could be a big problem if Whit goes down because we will be forced to reshuffle. And even then I would expect us to get in as a wildcard. 

You want to rain on Rams fan parade in arguably our best chance to win a ring and it's mind numbing to me. It's like stairing at a supermodel and saying "Yeah, but her one toe is longer than her big toe. Not for me dog". 

33 minutes ago, BStanRamFan said:

You want to rain on Rams fan parade in arguably our best chance to win a ring and it's mind numbing to me. It's like stairing at a supermodel and saying "Yeah, but her one toe is longer than her big toe. Not for me dog". 

You are acting like a martyr because we arent already throwing a Super Bowl parade. And you have been since the day we traded for Stafford. I mean all I just did was literally point out things, especially things that have been completely undersold by your side, and youre right back to "why do you hate everything?" Once again, this was all prefaced by we are Super Bowl favorites

Im really starting to empathize with@Flounch more and more

1 hour ago, BStanRamFan said:

It shouldn't just be one stat that dictates a player's value, but the ability to catch the ball is an important metric for TE's. And again, he's not the worst TE in football, but to act like we should miss him is just flat out wrong. 

No team is perfect, so to say the Rams aren't perfect is a pointless statement to make. We have the best odds to win the SuperBowl our entire time under McVay heading into a season and yet people want to bring our fans down to earth over uncertainty at our slot corner, 2nd TE position, and return man situation? It's just absurd to hear an actual fan think this way. The only thing I agree with you on is that our depth at O-Line could be a big problem if Whit goes down because we will be forced to reshuffle. And even then I would expect us to get in as a wildcard. 

And yet we're judging a pass catcher that's his primary role and people feel we shouldn't judge him by his what? Ability to catch the ball..... You can't make this stuff up. Oh yeah that guy who we throw the ball to is really good at everything but catching the ball :D

• Like 1

Speaking of Everett and TEs, I thought 2 years ago that Higbee would be worth that shocking contract he got.. he ended the year strong with 5 or 6 straight 100 yard games. Last season he scored 3 times against Philly and disappeared for the rest of the year it seemed. I think he’s going to be on the hot seat or be traded if he doesn’t start to produce a bit more. Hopkins is another that it seemed they were very excited about and barely saw the field, granted he was a rookie. I’m very curious how that position will look and be used this coming year. 

Besides the Atwell pick, I liked the guys we picked up considering teams who were picking ahead of us were snatching our guys. 

To make it short and sweet, we replaced the guys we lost in FA with those who possess similar skill sets, but are younger and cheaper, and some even have more potential. I’m a little concerned we didn’t take anyone to play on the o line, but I’ve heard numerous times that the coaches are pleased with what’s already here, so whatever. 

This defense could be borderline supernatural if we can get Lewis healthy. 

The secondary is going to be elite once again, AD and the IDL crew will do what they do, but that edge man....if AD were to get hurt again Floyd has proven he can’t shoulder the load. 

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, NVRamsFan said:

And yet we're judging a pass catcher that's his primary role and people feel we shouldn't judge him by his what? Ability to catch the ball..... You can't make this stuff up. Oh yeah that guy who we throw the ball to is really good at everything but catching the ball :D

He wasnt a great blocker either so what are we doing? People in this forum really just want to complain lol

• Like 1

1 minute ago, S-jax39 said:

He wasnt a great blocker either so what are we doing? People in this forum really just want to complain lol

He actually improved quite a bit over his time with the Rams in blocking, I wouldn't criticize the effort or his ability in the blocking really for a backup TE. 

I don't really mind losing Everett but he showed some play ability 3 years ago when we went to SB. 

I don't think we gave him good Opportunity to him after that, especially when Goff was limited and maybe the playcalling wasn't kind to TE. Yes he dropped balls but we have to see the kind of pass he drops...it was rarely a good pass from Goff.

3 minutes ago, Flounch said:

I don't really mind losing Everett but he showed some play ability 3 years ago when we went to SB. 

I don't think we gave him good Opportunity to him after that, especially when Goff was limited and maybe the playcalling wasn't kind to TE. Yes he dropped balls but we have to see the kind of pass he drops...it was rarely a good pass from Goff.

He’s had opportunities, especially when Higbee was having his struggles, but didn’t execute consistently, if at all. 

• Like 1